Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello, newbie to the dSLR world

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Lesmc
    Lesmc  5
    11 Mar 2009 - 7:44 PM

Hello folks, time to introduce myself. I'm Les, recently bought a dslr to try and get beyond the usual snapshot quality and hopefully find myself a long term hobby that gets me out and about !

My other hobbies at present are golf (mad keen but very average) and fly fishing. While both of these obviously get me out, they don't necessarily get me about, if you know what I mean.
    Back to the photography; last year my interest surged to the point where I wanted to upgrade my "point and shoot" (a Ricoh R1). I didn't think I could justify the outlay of a proper dslr, so I bought one of those "bridge" superzooms, the Panasonic fz18.

The main reasons for doing this was the zoom, the reviews and the chance to shoot in raw, something I'd not heard of. I took it 2 holidays at the end of the year, and while the final quality was OK, very few photos blew me away. It was then I decided that if I was going to start taking photography seriously. I better bite the bullet and get some decent kit. Now I know that new kit doesn't mean better photos, but I've always liked my composition and subjects, but the Panasonic let me down on things like digital noise, depth of view etc.

So, last month I bought a shiny new Canon 40D with a EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens. Since then I've added a 55-250 IS and a 50mm f2.8.

Of course I'm not in the National Geographic league yet (!), but I've definitely noticed a good deal of improvement in image quality. Its a very steep learning curve though, and I'm making a lot of mistakes. Hopefully, with a lot of practise and a lot of help from your good selves and this site, things will only get better.
    If you bothered to read all the way to here, thanks !!

Last Modified By Lesmc at 11 Mar 2009 - 7:45 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Mar 2009 - 7:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Plossl
    Plossl  7147 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2009 - 7:53 PM

You have 2 very photogenic hobbies there Les Thats if your mates don't mind you taking their pics oh and welcome to EPZ

Lesmc
    Lesmc  5
    11 Mar 2009 - 8:36 PM

Thanks Plossl !

I can't wait for the better weather to brighten up the foliage in both my usual places of worship !

john64
    john64 e2 Member 9824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
    12 Mar 2009 - 7:12 PM

Hi Les, welcome to the site. Always nice to have another Canon user join us Smile

Don't be afraid of making mistakes, that's one of the beauties of digital. You'll find plenty of useful advice here in the forums to help you improve.

Don't forget to let us see some of your work.

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.