Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Warriorpoet
30 Oct 2008 - 6:45 PM

I am just doing as instructed and introducing myself Smile
I have finally decided to upgrade to a DSLR from point and shoot and film (in my distant youth) having spent months saving up for kit and researching (reviews and the forums here) and thought it was time I registered and recorded my thanks for the help that this site has been in that research. Most of the questions I might have asked I found asked and answered already on here and I am 90% sure what I am going to buy.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Oct 2008 - 6:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2008 - 7:48 PM

Quote: I am just doing as instructed and introducing myself

Nice to see Newbies doing as they are told - that'll soon change!! Now take a seat and enjoy...............don't expect to leave any time soon!! Smile

MrsS
MrsS  84527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2008 - 8:15 PM

Hi Dave and welcome - - My name is Fran and I am an EPZoholic! Wink

Hope your computer chair is really comfy! Smile

Anyway - - do tell - - what are you going to buy, then??

Cheers!
Fran x

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2008 - 8:22 PM

Quote: Anyway - - do tell - - what are you going to buy, then??

A drink for all the nice ePZ members that have greeted Dave? Wink

Welcome Dave. Watch out for Fran, she's mad!

Oops too late she's spotted you.

MrsS
30 Oct 2008 - 8:29 PM

Quote: Watch out for Fran, she's mad!

Wondered how long it would take, Cheryl! Wink

csurry
30 Oct 2008 - 8:30 PM

Well someone had to warn Dave.

Warriorpoet
30 Oct 2008 - 9:02 PM

Hi all and thanks for the warm welcome.
I pretty much decided on the sigma 10-20 and 20-50 lenses. My dilemma is which body. I am umming and arring between the 40d, 50d (but not at the current price) or possibly the d20. My local jessops have kindly offered to let me have a play with them and print the results to help me choose but any advice/comments would be welcome. I should say I am looking for kit that will let me take landscapes primarily.
Dave

MrsS
30 Oct 2008 - 10:48 PM

I mostly do landscapes, David, and so does my other half Paul (sut68). We both have opted for a Canon with the Siggy 10-20mm lens - - not forgetting the grads! Smile

Anyway, if you opt for a Nikon, you must have a beard and wear sandals with socks! Wink

But, being honset, it's really a personal choice - - go and handle them and see which one feels "right" Grin

HTH
Fran x

Warriorpoet
30 Oct 2008 - 11:10 PM

Well Fran, I think the canon is most likely as the price with cashback is appealing. Grads are for the future I think once I have mastered the basics

Dave

MrsS
30 Oct 2008 - 11:17 PM

That's exactly what I did, Dave, not sure where you are based, but another top tip is to get out on the meets if you can. Learnt more at the ones I've been to than in any books Smile

csurry
31 Oct 2008 - 8:17 AM

Don't listen to her Dave the beard is not compulsory!

Seriously though the best option really is to try out a number of cameras, and don't just restrict yourself to Canon and Nikon, try the Pentax and Sony options as well.

Probably the most important advice is make your own decision and take your time - don't be rushed by salespeople saying things like "oh I'm not sure how long this offer will be on..."

Buying into any system is generally a long-term commitment, so you want to get it right for you first time if possible.

If you have concerns about some of the options you could always start another thread, so you can make sure you are armed with all or as many of the appropriate questions as possible.

Smile

Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site, sure we sometimes have a strange sense of humour on here and we take the mikey out of each other, but normally it is all in good taste.

Looking forward to you making a decision and posting some shots.

Warriorpoet
31 Oct 2008 - 6:49 PM

That's great advice csurry and to an extent why I have not bought already. I am anxious to get it right first time. I like the look of the pentax k20d and it is now around my budget price. My point and shoot is a pentax and I have had some good shots from it. Having to manually set everything in poor light is what has inspired me to upgrade to a DSLR, well that and wanting a wider angle. All my film experience (albeit long ago was with pentax cameras too and since the two lenses I have my eye on are sigmas it is a real option. The downside is that at jessops who appear cheapest for the body, both the lenses are significanty more expensive with the pentax fit and the only battery grip/remote I can find is their own and pricey too.

The decision is close though, maybe tomorrow as my indecision is rapidly being outweighed by my desire to be out there taking photos Smile

Im in Bradford Fran (not the most photogenic of places - but some great victorian architecture). I think the meets are like the grads a little way off, when my questions are more technical than "where is the on/off switch?" and "will I get better pictures if I take this lid thing of the lens?"

Thanks both

Dave

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
31 Oct 2008 - 7:04 PM

Does any of your local camera shops run courses / seminars ? May be worth checking out
I've booked myself on a course run by a local ( 3/4 an hour drive) camera shop to learn all about a particular brand of digital camera and their system.
Apparently it includes a hands on session so I may, possibly, in the not too distant future have a digital image to upload Wink

Why I have done it ? .. bowed to pressure from my epz "friends" Smile

Last Modified By JJGEE at 31 Oct 2008 - 7:04 PM
Warriorpoet
31 Oct 2008 - 7:21 PM

JJGEE I am not sure about my nearest shop, two minutes away, but I haven't found them very helpful on other matters as they seem to only sell the sumsung dslrs (nowt wrong with that I know as it's basically the pentax iI am considering) but not much use if you want an impartial opinion. Samsung sent a pro along to demonstate their products recently but I was on holiday at the time. I might have a google though and see if there is a course not too far afield.

Dave

MrsS
31 Oct 2008 - 7:27 PM

Hi Dave, don't worry about feeling out of place on any of the meets, my first question was very much along the lines you outline Smile

Haven't got much further now, either!!! Wink

If you're looking at the Pentax, check out Neil's javam PF, he's even written an EPZ article about using Pentax for airshows.

Don't think he'd mind if you sent him a Private message or left a comment on his PF asking his opinion, either

Anyway, whatever you get, enjoy, I look forward to seeing the first upload Smile

Fran x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.