Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello all. New to DSLR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ablast
    ablast  5 Australia
    5 Dec 2008 - 10:42 AM

Hi to all. In the past I have had a lot of experience with SLR cameras and photography. Unfortunately my Yashica 35mm camera died about 10 years ago. The thousands of dollars worth of lenses, filters etc became obsolete. I had been pursuing other business interests and never went back to photography other than using point and shoot. Well here we are in the digital age and at 48 years of are I retired. Well I need a hobby and preferably one that will pay for itself. What better than photography. The question is what camera should I purchase? Which camera gives the best bang for the buck? Ive been reading reviews until the cows come home and I'm fully aware that I don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a camera body. Any advice from enthusiasts and semi professionals is more than welcome. I am involved in off road racing and also intend to take panoramic landscape and portrait shots.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Dec 2008 - 10:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior
    rowarrior  64350 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2008 - 1:35 PM

Hi Jamie, this is a subject that comes up all the time, especially in the Digital Camera forum. A lot of the decision making will come down to how it feels in your hand - reading a review won't tell you if the grip is small in your hand, or feels funny in other ways (Canons are a perfect fit for my hand, the Nikons feel most peculiar, but others will find the exact opposite!).

The other thing you will probably want to look at is the range of lenses available for the camera you choose based on what you want to do. Canon and Nikon have been the big guns for years, but there's also Olympus, Sony, Panasonic and others out there. There are also third party companies such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina who do fits for different cameras.

Basically, check out the Digital Camera forum for the many questions on this subject, where umpteen people who use a huge range of kit have given their opinions on the pros and cons. If you have a particular camera or lens in mind, you can also use the search facility at the top of the page.

Welcome to the site Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.