Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello everybody, I'd love some advice!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SimonCartledgePhoto

Hi all,

I've been a keen photographer for quite some time now. I'm currently living in Moscow but will be coming back to the UK very soon, where I'd like to take photography to the next level and start a business.

www.simoncartledgephoto.com Is my website - And i'd like to think I've created my own style and haven't been too heavily influenced by anyone in particular.

The website is still under construction, as you can see. The photos in the 'portrait' page have my logo on them and the 'others' do not - currently.

I'm also in the process of adding more photos (most of my photos are on my Instagram account @Simoncartledgephoto) to the site. please browse my Instagram and let me of any photos you feel I should add to the site to showcase my work.

Thanks in advance!

Simon.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Nov 2013 - 12:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 1:42 PM

Hi Simon,

On my monitor many of the images look soft. Are you sharpening them for the web?

Adam

SimonCartledgePhoto

Did you click the images? They do look rather soft when they're unopened.

Thanks for taking a look sherlob.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82271 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 2:27 PM

The point is - you shouldn't rely on folk to open them. Think 1st impressions.

SimonCartledgePhoto

Sure, I'll try and find a way of making them as sharp as normal before they're opened.

Cheers.

sherlob
6 Nov 2013 - 2:49 PM

See here for an excellent technique...

PMorgan Sharpening

collywobles
6 Nov 2013 - 3:20 PM

Simon I see that you are a new member so welcome for that, but looking at your website your images are rather average and if you think you can make a business from them then you are going to get a big surprise. Everyone with a digital camera thinks they are photographers and can go into business but I am afraid there are much better photographers out there that struggle. With the comments above re sharpening etc as an ambitious professional you should have seen them coming, this is so basic.

I wish you well, but you really need to up the pace on your photography if you think you are going into the photography business. You might think my comments are quite hard but please go through some of the images on this site and when you can match the best of them (which I could never do) you might stand a chance, but I wish you well.

€olin

Last Modified By collywobles at 6 Nov 2013 - 3:23 PM
SimonCartledgePhoto

Well thanks for the advice.

I'm not hoping to make a business of my existing images, I'm going to make a business from studio shots. I don't have a studio at the moment, but will soon. I also know my clientele and have drive to make this work. The whole thing about resharpening, I'm not sure I understand fully. If I over-sharpen them, they'll look ridiculous once opened and viewed at their intended full size.

SimonCartledgePhoto

I'd also just like to point out that I'm not here beacuse I feel my photos are incredible. I think if you go into business it's mostly about how well you market your services and improving upon what you offer all the time.

I've probably been shooting for less time than you, I've just not resorted to over editing and over sharpening yet.

Hard work shall prevail.

Last Modified By SimonCartledgePhoto at 6 Nov 2013 - 4:12 PM
collywobles
6 Nov 2013 - 4:43 PM

Quote: I'd also just like to point out that I'm not here beacuse I feel my photos are incredible. I think if you go into business it's mostly about how well you market your services and improving upon what you offer all the time.

I've probably been shooting for less time than you, I've just not resorted to over editing and over sharpening yet.

Hard work shall prevail.

Simon I admire your enthusiasm and drive and wish you well.

My other advice is take your time, Rome wasn't built in a day. Learn from this site, there are many people here who will provide help and advice. Upload some images so we can see how you progress, finally take some commercial training as running a business maybe just more important than your photography.

Good Luck

indemnity
indemnity  5328 forum posts
6 Nov 2013 - 5:11 PM

The images are far too small on your website imho, they need to be seen 1000px+, and this is when quality starts to count. Studio work is not easy, as you will find out when faced with those challenges.

Wishing you every success with your endeavours.

scottishphototours

If you think you're going to come to the UK and open a studio and make money, then you're sadly mistaken.

Suggest you look at the prices that high-street competitors like Max Spielman are offering portrait services at, and then stay in Moscow. I'm afraid Joe Public wouldn't know a good picture if it slapped them in the face, but MS produce a 10x8 in a folder (taken on a bridge camera and processed there and then on a Kodak printer) for £10 and the chavs are lapping them up. The quality is truly appalling, but as they don't know any better, they pay their £10 for this months shot of "Verdana" or "Gabbana" and come back 4 weeks later for the same. How you gonna compete with that??!

By the way, there are people bucking the trend, but they are few and far between, and they are generally in affluent areas of the country. Have a look at the classifieds on here and the SWPP - you'll be able to pick up ALL of your studio gear for next to nothing from the hundreds of people photographers selling up.

In this market, hard work won't prevail....that's a ridiculous statement to make....price is now the lowest common denominator in the UK amongst 99% of the population.

You can't beat a dose of realism. Wink

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Nov 2013 - 11:43 PM

Quote: take some commercial training as running a business maybe just more important than your photography.

That's a certainty with business acumen coming first in any venture.

collywobles
7 Nov 2013 - 6:46 PM

You have gone rather quite Simon!

SimonCartledgePhoto

quiet*

I'm just sitting and watching replies. Wink

I'm still young, I'm still ambitious and I'm still bright.

Don't worry about me Colly, I'll be fine Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.