Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Hello from sunny Dorset

3 Feb 2014 2:50PM
Hi, just found this forum and thought I would give it a go. I started taking pictures when I was about 5. My dad was into photography and bought me a box Brownie as soon as I was old enough to get some sort of a handle on what I was doing. Since then I have dabbled in most formats.

There was a large gap without a camera from my teens until I married and bought an Instamatic. I soon found that it was, shall we say it was inadequate, to be polite. I swapped that for a Zenith E as cash was tight and over the next year or so acquired a 30mm wide angle, 135mm and a 2x teleconverter. It was basic camera with no automation at all - I even had to stop the lens down manually! It did teach me an awful lot about the subject as you had to understand exposure to get any results at all.

The next move was to a Canon AE1 with 35-70 zoom and later a Vivitar 28-200. Getting tired of lugging gear around I tried various bridge and compact types until I decided to go digital via a Dimage (broke), Canon S3 and my latest purchase a Sony HS50. It is a marvel of miniaturisation - 24-720 zoom that fits in your pocket!? As photography is for my pleasure, I am prepared to accept a compromise in out and out quality for the convenience of having the equivalent of a suitcase full of dslr lenses that I can take anywhere. I have bought the complementary flash unit as I am not overly happy with the results of the built in flash and am now trying to justify the expanse of the evf (about a hundred quid more than the camera!!!!!!!)

I live in Poole in Dorset and am spoilt for choice with locations - beach, harbour, New Forest, Purbecks and inland Dorset all within a half hour or so drive.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
3 Feb 2014 2:55PM
Greetings, Colin and welcome to ePz. Make yourself at home, we're a friendly helpful bunch, always keen to help when you need a question answered.
Poole's a great place for nearby locations. I used to live 'over the border' in Hants.

Malc
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2014 3:03PM
Welcome to EPZ Colin, from another Dorset member (just - I'm in Christchurch)

This is a great place to be, nice people (mostly Wink ) helpful feedback and loads of information available at a click of a button
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
3 Feb 2014 3:08PM
Not from Dorset but bought some gear over the years from your local photography retailer, Robert White.

PS
have visited Hurst Castle, Mudeford Quay, New Forest, Burley back in 2011 on a week-end break
Actually, met Brian ( brian1208 at Mudeford Quay )
11 Feb 2014 7:46PM
Hello Grin
Very jealous of your location - i love the coast.
tifa 3 6 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2014 12:22PM
Hi poolegan, Im near Poole ! Ive just joined here. Your right about spoilt for choice !!! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.