Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello from sunny Dorset

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Poolegan
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:50 PM

Hi, just found this forum and thought I would give it a go. I started taking pictures when I was about 5. My dad was into photography and bought me a box Brownie as soon as I was old enough to get some sort of a handle on what I was doing. Since then I have dabbled in most formats.

There was a large gap without a camera from my teens until I married and bought an Instamatic. I soon found that it was, shall we say it was inadequate, to be polite. I swapped that for a Zenith E as cash was tight and over the next year or so acquired a 30mm wide angle, 135mm and a 2x teleconverter. It was basic camera with no automation at all - I even had to stop the lens down manually! It did teach me an awful lot about the subject as you had to understand exposure to get any results at all.

The next move was to a Canon AE1 with 35-70 zoom and later a Vivitar 28-200. Getting tired of lugging gear around I tried various bridge and compact types until I decided to go digital via a Dimage (broke), Canon S3 and my latest purchase a Sony HS50. It is a marvel of miniaturisation - 24-720 zoom that fits in your pocket!? As photography is for my pleasure, I am prepared to accept a compromise in out and out quality for the convenience of having the equivalent of a suitcase full of dslr lenses that I can take anywhere. I have bought the complementary flash unit as I am not overly happy with the results of the built in flash and am now trying to justify the expanse of the evf (about a hundred quid more than the camera!!!!!!!)

I live in Poole in Dorset and am spoilt for choice with locations - beach, harbour, New Forest, Purbecks and inland Dorset all within a half hour or so drive.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 44055 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway26 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:55 PM

Greetings, Colin and welcome to ePz. Make yourself at home, we're a friendly helpful bunch, always keen to help when you need a question answered.
    Poole's a great place for nearby locations. I used to live 'over the border' in Hants.

Malc

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110403 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 3:03 PM

Welcome to EPZ Colin, from another Dorset member (just - I'm in Christchurch)

This is a great place to be, nice people (mostly Wink ) helpful feedback and loads of information available at a click of a button

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96354 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 3:08 PM

Not from Dorset but bought some gear over the years from your local photography retailer, Robert White.

PS
    have visited Hurst Castle, Mudeford Quay, New Forest, Burley back in 2011 on a week-end break
    Actually, met Brian ( brian1208 at Mudeford Quay )

Last Modified By JJGEE at 3 Feb 2014 - 3:12 PM
    ChloePBT
    11 Feb 2014 - 7:46 PM

Hello Grin
    Very jealous of your location - i love the coast.

Last Modified By ChloePBT at 11 Feb 2014 - 7:47 PM
    tifa
    tifa  3 United Kingdom
    14 Mar 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hi poolegan, Im near Poole ! Ive just joined here. Your right about spoilt for choice !!! Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.