Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hello From The Highlands of Scotland

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    SimonFletch
    SimonFletch e2 Member SimonFletch vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2013 - 4:36 AM

... well, from Kenya actually, where I am on holiday (avoiding shopping centres!) and waiting to get out to the Masai Mara. I am a wildlife fanatic, but despite several thousand shots, still waiting for 'the one'! Hoping also to visit Lake Naivasha and also have a crazy idea about taking images of fish eagles from a couple of rafts I've built.

I have just retired from the family business (glass & crystal importers) and left my two sons to keep it going. Now it's time to learn how to really use the Canon kit I've accrued over the years. Composition is my enemy, but I can't find a listing in the Forums - can anyone offer guidance? I have several 'inspirational' photographers whose work I admire and wish I knew how they got their positioning...

Looking forward to chatting to you all.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Nov 2013 - 4:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

alansnap
    alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2013 - 8:31 AM

Hi Simon, welcome to EPZ and our mad eclectic world.
    You can find tutorials on EPZ TV - on the left hand side of the home page under "New Articles" click on "Videos" and then "More videos." That will get you into a list. Look also on the "Techniques" tag.
    Since you're on-line in Kenya, if you have an iPad go to iBooks and buy David Noton's iBook The Composition Tutorials. It's a bit lightweight, but it does cover the basics quite well. I have it to remind me of what I'm trying to get when I'm out on location. When you get back home, join your local camera club. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but contrary to popular opinion clubs aren't totally full of old farts like me.
    All the best,
    Alan

puertouk
    puertouk  21053 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Nov 2013 - 9:16 AM

Try Youtube, there's thousands of videos on there.

SimonFletch
    15 Nov 2013 - 9:35 AM

Hello Alan, Thanks for your welcome (from one old fart to another!).
    Sadly, I don't have an iPad, still stuck on Windoze. But I will certainly investigate EPZ TV, which sound very interesting. It is quite amazing how much there is on this website! Thanks also for the suggestion regarding camera clubs. I have recently investigated one based in Cromarty (near Inverness), which sounds very friendly.
    Puertouk, thanks for your suggestion. As you say, there are thousands of videos on YouTube, but I often wonder how one sifts through them all to obtain 'sound' knowledge?

pablophotographer

Hello Simon. My advice will cost you 20 pounds, it's solid, will last for ages and doesn't need electricity to work with. Interested? Go get Tom Ang's book 'Digital photography essentials'. Best of all, you can borrow it from a library!

Bob's (your uncle)

SimonFletch
    15 Nov 2013 - 1:54 PM

Hello Pablo, Thanks very much for your advice. I shall look for it in a very large book shop I know of in Nairobi. Simon

pablophotographer

You are very welcome Simon. Enjoy your new hobby!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.