Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Hello from US

2 Feb 2014 9:46PM
Hi,
I'm new here and hoping to find information about cameras then how to use it well. I don't know much about cameras aside from how to turn it on or use the automated programs. Thanks in advance for your help and patience while I learn this new language!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
2 Feb 2014 10:04PM
Well you've got over the first hurdle...now take the lens cover off WinkGrinGrin

you're in the right place...just shoot, upload and ask questions Smile
dark_lord e2
10 1.5k 145 England
2 Feb 2014 10:24PM
What he said Smile
2 Feb 2014 10:34PM
Welcome...!

Quote:now take the lens cover off

Having done this don't be afraid to use automated mode(s) for a while if need be, don't let your freedom become swamped by panicing about manual, shutter/aperture priority, etc. modes..then if you get to point where the result isn't what you envisioned, ( probably not very often...) don't be afraid to ask... there's more than enough knowledgeable inhabitants here... Smile (the exits are all closed so no-one leaves...).
2 Feb 2014 10:37PM
No wonder those picture turned out so dark!
2 Feb 2014 10:48PM

Quote:Welcome...!

now take the lens cover off

Having done this don't be afraid to use automated mode(s) for a while if need be, don't let your freedom become swamped by panicing about manual, shutter/aperture priority, etc. modes..then if you get to point where the result isn't what you envisioned, ( probably not very often...) don't be afraid to ask... there's more than enough knowledgeable inhabitants here... Smile (the exits are all closed so no-one leaves...).

I've always wondered what it was like in Hotel California.
Thanks for the advice. It's hard not to get wrapped up in everything when the best thing to do is just jump in and start practicing! I did learn that reading the manual can be very helpful. Wink
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
3 Feb 2014 7:55AM
By all means read the manual...then forget it! Just joking (sort of).
Learn the basics of your camera first and get used to using it. Experiment a lot and see what works and what doesn't. Plenty of time to learn how to run after you have learned to walk.
And ask shedloads of questions on here if you want help and advice.

Malc
puertouk e2
3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2014 10:00AM
Malc, you need to go through the manual to get to know what everything does!!! Get to know your camera inside out, then it will give you a good understanding what it can do. Youtube is also a great place to go and find some really good video tutorials on how to use a camera. Good luck with your new found passion and hope to see some good photographs.
Stephen
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
3 Feb 2014 10:16AM
Stephen, I was being tongue-in-cheek about reading the manual and then forgetting it.SmileSmile

As the OP seems to be a complete beginner, I see no point in him trying to learn and absorb the whole manual straight off...better to get used to the basics, and then progress at his own pace, learning more and more how the camera functions.
rhol2 e2
3 321 1 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2014 10:58AM
I agree it can be very daunting trying to plough through the manual. At least initially, it might be worth look ing at reviews of the camera in question on this site and others, which often include a listing and brief explanation of all the features, controls, menus, etc. A sort of potted guide.

As for using automated modes,as suggested above, using Program mode is a good starting point, it should produce decent pictures in many circumstances.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.