Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help....sharpness

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ringyneck
    ringyneck  7304 forum posts United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2010 - 4:52 PM

The other day someone said one of my shots was NOT sharp and did a mod.......

Today I have a shot that looks sharp on P/shop,ready to use and when I get it on the preview to upload it looses the sharpness.
    I don't know if this is standard or just a recent thing with me.
    Thanks
    Keith

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jan 2010 - 4:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021998 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2010 - 4:56 PM

When gauging sharpness you need to re-size to the target size then sharpen, as re-sizing alters sharpness.

ringyneck
    22 Jan 2010 - 5:22 PM

Thanks.....

I have the size @ 900 x 676 on p/shop and on here it goes smaller BUT it's still not as sharp when it goes large as well.

looked at yesterdays upload and it happened on that as well....will try some from a while back and see if it was O.K. then.
    keith

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jan 2010 - 6:27 PM

Try this it might help.

Sharpen to taste the original file in its full size.

Then re-size the image for upload, Now add a little extra sharpening, Be carefull as the smaller file will degrade ( or " Halo " ) quite easily, So adding sharpening to the small file, Needs to be applied sparingly, Try under 25% as a start point.

Its hard to be precise as this varies greatly from image to image...!

Anyhow once you have done the sharpen on the small file, Then go for the " Save for web " option, Check the preview etc.

EDIT: Note when I say re-size for upload, I don't mean save for web..!!!
    I mean use the re-size option under the image tab, AKA " Image Size " , This is quite important.....Wink

HTH

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Jan 2010 - 6:31 PM
    ringyneck
    22 Jan 2010 - 6:44 PM

Thanks for advice.....
    In the meantime I have been experimenting.

In the past I have NOT noticed it ...mainly because I don't think it has been happening.
    Lately I have had a couple of comments on the lack of sharpness and I have been going back to see if I can see when it started.Might be a couple of weeks........it has not showed up on some shots but todays was to be a high contrast one and it really showed up.

I put my sharp one for today in the preview on here and made it large then saved it ...then....sent it back to p/shop where the original was waiting and they were identical.... SO it is how epz is treating it ????
    But WHY !!!

ringyneck
    22 Jan 2010 - 8:11 PM

.....and now it seems all my uploads have lost there information as well.
    In the last week I have installed Norton Antivirus and Virgin media have done a total revamp ....is there any reasone any of these have caused my probs.
    Exifs have gone from uploads on other sites as well.
    Keith

cameracat
    22 Jan 2010 - 8:38 PM

Quote: Exifs have gone from uploads on other sites as well

Save for web does that, As far as I know it always has.

Anti Virus Or ISP will not make any difference either, Only your software can make changes to image files.

I think you need to go back to basics, Start from the begining by first checking what your camera settings are, What file size your shooting ( any compression levels etc ).

Next have a look at the resolution of your images, Then the resolution set for any resize options.

If everything was hunky dory a few weeks back....Smile

Something must have changed between then and now.....Sad

Your mission, Should you choose to accept it ( sorry could not resist that ) Is to find out what has changed....!!!

Heck! You could be shooting " Thumbnails " .....Wink

Whatever, If you still can't see anything odd.

Come back to the forum and list your whole " Workflow " from the time you pick up the camera, Include all camera settings & software input etc....

Yep! Its a pain, But the only way we can figure out whats up....!!!

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Jan 2010 - 8:40 PM
    cameracat
    22 Jan 2010 - 9:05 PM

Just had a look at your image " October Contrasts " ....!!!

Looks well sharp on my display screen....Smile

In fact it looks a tad " Oversharpened " to my eye....!

Someone else mentioned the sharpness too.

If your seeing soft images, Whilst the rest of us are seeing sharp/oversharp images, Then maybe you have a " Display / Monitor " issue....!!!

The display/monitor is an absolutely essential tool for digital image work, Without which we are all working in the dark....Wink

skye1
    skye1  729 forum posts Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jan 2010 - 6:05 PM

I also just had a look at your gallery and the images look sharp here to me too,

User_Removed
    25 Jan 2010 - 6:24 PM

Have to say they look sharp to me too.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Jan 2010 - 6:57 PM

Sharpness can't be judged acurately from a small compressed jpeg. Also you've no idea whether your images are being viewed on a 99 monitor or a top of the range one costing 20 times as much. Sharpness will look quite different depending on the quality of the screen.
    As long as they look good on your screen, there's not a lot else you can do.

Last Modified By justin c at 25 Jan 2010 - 6:57 PM
    ringyneck
    27 Jan 2010 - 3:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for their imput...............

It cannot be my monitor as...

I see the epz image on this monitor ...and ...see the image in my Docs (put into p/shop) on same monitor.

I did a test .....I got it up large on epz and saved that image (in Docs /p/shop) and compared that copy with the Large epz one and they were different so does the epz one loose sharpness when viewed ( by me).

I have done nothing different when taking shots and processing to earlier efforts.
    It's a mystery.

I have loaded up Norton anti-virus and now got a noisware reduction loaded recently ....but can't think they are resposible.

Thanks
    keith

zanzibarwinds
    27 Jan 2010 - 6:09 PM

600 x 600 jpg, usually always looks sharp unless its REALLY bad.

Last Modified By zanzibarwinds at 27 Jan 2010 - 6:10 PM
    Scaramanga
    Scaramanga e2 Member 637 forum postsScaramanga vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2010 - 11:09 PM

I had this exact problem and who knows on those expensive monitors still do. But I read on here once when you have finished with your image and about to save it use unsharp mask 300:0.2. then save as; Jpeg options comes up, maximum quality, large file, baseline optimized. OK. Bobs your uncle. Hope this helps.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.