Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help: Grainy, noisy photos

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    KevBK
    KevBK  7
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:06 PM

Need some guidance...I am trying to take some limited light shots, trying to get the backlit sillhouet look. The shots look ok except when I go into photoshop the truth comes out: extra grainess. I have seen many photos like this here, I will need to look closer to see if they are using film or digital. I am shooting at f8, tried f6, 3, and 4, at a speed of 1/5 to 1/6, 1/8. I am using a Canon powerShot Pro 1; 8 mega pixels. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated....KevBK

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:25 PM

Not familiar with the camera Kev but a quick Google throws out a general consensus that noise becomes a problem above 100ISO. On some models there are features to switch on long exposure noise reduction and high ISO noise reduction. Does your camera have these facilities - and are you using them?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 22 Jun 2007 - 4:29 PM
    GPTek
    GPTek e2 Member 7425 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:33 PM

Sorry I'm not too familiar with your camera, but it sounds like you have it set on the auto ISO setting. So as you trying to capture the silhouette, the camera has pushed the setting to high sensitivity and with it more grain. Try selecting the ISO manually and meter for the light not the dark shadow.

HTH Geoff

(Edit) Too slow typing ...

Last Modified By GPTek at 22 Jun 2007 - 4:36 PM
    User_Removed
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:47 PM

Quote: (Edit) Too slow typing ...

That's normally my line Geoff!!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2007 - 4:53 PM

Hi Kev, I use a pro 1. Can`t say I`ve paticuly had problems with noise at your setting`s. There`s no need to use f8 the depth of field is pretty good at half that.

Do you leave the camera on for long periods?

Paul

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2007 - 5:04 PM

What iso are you using?

JohnHorne
    JohnHorne  91023 forum posts
    22 Jun 2007 - 5:06 PM

Using a high ISO is one possible cause of noise, as suggested. Another possibility is under exposure - adjusting the image to try to compensate reveals noise especially in the darker areas.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214393 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2007 - 5:19 PM

Using iso 50 or 100 should not pose any problems, even with reletivaly long exposers at the setting`s you mention.

I`ve used the same camera in poorly lit locations like churches etc with never a problem.

Also could you be over sharpening your images.

MediumSizeUnavailable

agree, suppose your iso is too high. I had iso 50 on my powershot A95. suggest you go for that if you have it as well (allthough 100 should be ok as well), and adjust other settings to it .
    And then there's John's suggestion, perhaps you underexposed it, and brought out the noise in post processing by brightening the image.
    Oh... and allthough compacts can deliver mighty fine picures, there still will be a quality difference vs dslr's. dslr's tend to capture the subtle differences in bright and dark areas better. suppose it has to do with the better sensor that can be found in dslr's. When someone takes a very strong photo with a compact and someone else does a very bad job of the same scene with a dslr, the compact will even deliver the better result, but, when the person with the dslr does a very good job as well, then the compact doesn't really measure up to the dslr, no matter how good you did with the compact.

Last Modified By MediumSizeUnavailable at 23 Jun 2007 - 5:59 AM
    KevBK
    KevBK  7
    23 Jun 2007 - 8:46 AM

I really appreciate all your comments. I will try them out and let you know before the weekend is out. I did check the ISO, I can set it at 50, I have not found a noise reduction setting so I am guessing there is not with this camera. I will try: ISO 50, F3 to 6, and speed of 1/8 to 1/50. I don't have the greatest lighting set up, very low budget, but then again I am just starting to play around with "studio lighting." And I have been eyeing this new Canon DSLR, need to get teh wife to realize that I "need" it....Thanks again and I will post my results for more comments, tips or tricks.....KevBK

Paul Morgan
    23 Jun 2007 - 10:45 AM

The pro 1 will handle well with studio lighting, just remember the max aperture is f8 and there not good camera`s if your after a shallow depth of field.

KevBK
    KevBK  7
    2 Jul 2007 - 2:28 PM

Again, thanks for all your help and advice. I think some of my problems lie with my very low budget lighting. I am woking with using the morning light that comes throuhg our sliding glass door. The trick is to have the sun cut through some of these German clouds. As soon as I get a decent shot I will post it for your review. I also think I have the other half convinced that I need the Canon 400D. I found a kit that includes 2 lenses, EF-S 75-300mm f/32-45 and a EF-S 18-55mm for under $2000.00US. I know the camera alone wont make me better but I think it will be an advantage (I hope).....

4hero
    4hero  7
    2 Jul 2007 - 7:26 PM

Hi, I use Noise Ninja , this is either a stand alone package or plugin for photoshop. The finished result using this is amazing and you can add individual profiles (depending on camera and iso) to achieve the best results. There is also a profile available for your camera, which is good.

It does cost money, but worth every penny in my opinion!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.