Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help! I need some camera body ideas

Hello GUYS ,

I have a bit of a dillema, my current camera body (Nikon d70) the shutter is dying on it. So I am currently looking for another Nikon Camera body , my budget is 600 tops. I need something that has a good mega pixels on it but that is also suited for fashion and editoral photos as thats the area of photography i hope to go into when i start college and work.
I am also going to invest in a fish eye lens and a pin hole camera as a photography teacher from my local college reccommend these. Are they any good?

I saved up for 2 years to by my first camera (Nikon d70 with 18mm -70mm lens) I started my own car washing buisness that i run from home once a month and also have a paper round monday - saturday which helps fund my photography.

I know some of my friends finds me quite mad and annoying for always having camera in my hand, my bestfriend knows that when she comes round she bound to have her picture taken at some point, she says it quite unsual that i have over 5000 pictures on my laptop , as she only just has enough to make the total 100.

So im also looking for a sturdy camera that can take quite alot of pictures before it's shutter goes like my old camera.

Thanks Guys
Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam e2
6 4.9k
16 Sep 2011 8:28PM
You might be better off buying a nearly new body that's a bit sturdier.

Nikon cameras share a lot of parts, so the image quality given by the entry-level models will be superb. They just don't last very long and they won't tolerate abuse. Ruggedness costs money.

One major difference between older and newer Nikon models is the high ISO performance. The D2X and D3s will give nearly identical performance at base ISO. If you'll only ever use the camera in a studio, the D2X will do the same job for a quarter of the price of the D3 and one sixth of the price of the D3s. All these are the top-end models and built like the proverbial brick privy.

Check out MPB
phillips e2
8 69 2 Scotland
16 Sep 2011 10:27PM
A secondhand D300 should be doable. The newer D300s, which is still current, commands a higher used price but differs little from the D300, other than the addition of video and a marginally faster motordrive.
I had many successful pictures with my D300 over 3 yearsGrin and parted with it on fleabay after 86k shutter actuations 2 weeks ago.
Safest way to buy used is from a shop e.g. Ffordes, Misfuds or Greys of Westminster, although the latter is pricey. If you are going down the fleabay oute I'd suggest always getting confirmation of the number of shutter actuations. There seem to be a plentiful number of D300s out there, often with very little use.

Guy
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
16 Sep 2011 10:30PM
For your budget, I suspect a s/h D300 might be your best bet.

Don't get hooked on the megapixel race. The D3s at 12 Mp is reckoned to be a far better general purpose pro camera than the 24 Mp D3x.

Both a fisheye and a pinhole lens would be pretty far down my priority list. Check that out with your teacher before spending megabucks.
16 Sep 2011 10:50PM
Go for a secondhand d300. Also look for refurb'd lenses in particular fast lenses. I wouldn't even bother about fisheye or pinhole lenses until much later on when you've got a steady income.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.