Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help.. Looking to upgrade to SLR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    15 Aug 2006 - 11:59 AM

Can anyone please help I currently have a Fuji S5000 which I love and use mainly on holidays (which I have lots) and family / special occasions, I love landscapes. I am looking to buy a new camera but cant' decide whether to stick with the pro-sumer and go for the upgraded S9000/S9500 or whether to take the plunge and go for either the Canon eos 350d or I also quite like the Sony Alpha. I'm torn between the ability to preview and ability to compose without the camera to your eye on the S9500 and the Optical viewfinder/flexiblity of settings of SLR's. Can anyone help because my heads battered. Oh and price, all these are a possibity so around 600, but again trying to justify spending 200+ more for the SLR.

Thanks
    Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Aug 2006 - 11:59 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Murphy
    Murphy  8
    15 Aug 2006 - 1:22 PM

No brainer i'm afraid, you have to go DSLR. I started out with the S5000 and it's a great introduction camera. You'll find looking through an slr viewfinder a completely different experience and interchangeable lenses add a whole new dimension to your photography.

You'll probably have a million people on here make their recommendations of which slr to buy, normally to convince themselves they bought the right one, but in my opinion which ever one you get will carry your photography to a level a prosumer digi camera will not.

steve_p
    steve_p  81096 forum posts England
    15 Aug 2006 - 4:06 PM

Chris,
    I had a s5000 until June 2005, excellent camera for the money. I bought a Canon 350d and havent looked back. More flexibilty lens wise etc. The biggest plus for me is actually taking the picture you see in the viewfinder. It annoyed me with the Fuji that the pic you got was something that happened after you thought you'd taken the shot!
    You can get a 350D for less than 600. The much maligned kit lens (18-55) will be fine until you feel the need for something better later on.
    Hope that helps a bit,

Steve

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2006 - 4:14 PM

I must go and see about getting some brains...

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    16 Aug 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like I spending more money then. Now to decide on Sony or Canon. The built in IS on the Sony sounds like it would save money in the long run. What does every one else think.
    Cheers
    Chris

TheShipsMast
    16 Aug 2006 - 12:51 PM

I am currently pondering a similar quandry. I currently have a Sony DSC-V1 which has never let me down, but I am starting to fiddle with the settings a bit more now and take more manual control over the photographs (not always getting the desired results mind Smile )

I am currently looking between a Nikon D50 and a Canon 350D.

One of the replies mentioned the lens kit with the Canon. Is it really that bad?

I have seen an offer for this at Jacobs
    "CANON EOS-350D & EFS18-55 + EF55-200 + BG-E3 Grip" for 670 which seems a good deal to me.. but what do I know..

fredchan
    fredchan  8124 forum posts
    16 Aug 2006 - 1:03 PM

depends on what you want but there are lots of cheap deal at the lower end of the dSLR market which has offerings from Canon, Nikon and Pentax - there is a big dfference when you move into this type of camera but one I am sure you will get great pleasure out of

conrad
    conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2006 - 1:06 PM

Quote: I'm torn between the ability to preview and ability to compose without the camera to your eye on the S9500 and the Optical viewfinder/flexiblity of settings of SLR's.

You can have both with the latest dual processor models from Olympus and Panasonic.

accystan
    accystan  9132 forum posts Canada6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Aug 2006 - 3:41 PM

I don't think you'll look back once you've gone the dslr route. Remember though that you're buying a system with the camera at the core - not just a camera. Once you've gone with Canon or Nikon or whatever you have to go with compatible lenses and accessories. As far as composing, I agree with Chris re the angle finder. I've been using one for years and it's the best accessory I've got. There's something about composing a picture when you're holding the camera at waist level and looking down into the viewfinder compared to shooting at eyelevel.

Good luck.

Dave D

steve_p
    steve_p  81096 forum posts England
    16 Aug 2006 - 4:50 PM

Scott(TheShipsMast)

In answer to your question about the lens kit- no its not as bad as people make out. I think a lot of people make comparisons with Canon L lenses which cost all your "arms & legs".
    All you have to be prepared for is that DSLRs do not do incamera sharpening the way that the prosumer types do. \But you can adjust the camera profiles to your liking-thats another subject !!

Steve

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    16 Aug 2006 - 5:10 PM

I would go with the Canon, and if you can, push the budget a bit more for the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 which is a fine landscape lens at a good price.

A cable release and tripod would be my priority additions to the above set-up.

TheShipsMast
    16 Aug 2006 - 5:58 PM

Chris - that shot is really sharp!

I am currently debating just buying a body and a better lens. I already have a tripod, and I think my dad has a spare cable release I could "borrow" Smile

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    16 Aug 2006 - 6:12 PM

Quote: I think my dad has a spare cable release I could "borrow"

You will need one designed to work with whatever camera you get, the old machanical ones cannot be fitted to modern SLR's

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.