Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help!! Need Camera reviews/opinions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    daytonsmum
    8 Apr 2013 - 6:05 AM

Hi there, I am currently looking into purchasing my first dslr. I have used my sisters rebel, and now mark llup until now. I am just starting out taking pictures but would like to get something of great quality. Even though my sister knows a decent amount about cameras I unfortunately can't ask her as she is EXTREMEMLY competitive and wont give me the right advice on purpose! I am currently looking at the Canon 60D. I'd like to know what your opinions are and what camera you feel is the best within the price range of 1500-3000 and preferaby if it is at the higher end it will include a lens. I'm leaning toward a Canon but will take it into consideration! TIA for any all help and suggestions. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Apr 2013 - 6:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
    pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2013 - 9:04 AM

1500 - 3000 is a huge budget to start and could reasonably get you one of the best cameras in the world right now with a lens , the Canon 5Dmk3.

Would you be able to use this level of camera though or would you be willing and wanting to put the amount of time in it will need to get the most out of it ?

Might be helpful if we knew more about your likes / aims etc

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2013 - 9:12 AM

I's suggest buying the best lens/lenses you can for your chosen subject and add a body that fits the budget. You don't have to own a pro end body if you're not doing pro end activities.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
    8 Apr 2013 - 9:19 AM

It would be quite useful to learn about photography before spending so much money on a camera. When you first got your driving licence, you did not buy a Ferrari.
    There is nothing wrong with learning on an "entry level" camera provided you use the Aperture, Shutter priority or Manual modes rather than Automatic. Your choice of lenses will depend on the type of photography you get interested in so you need time and practice to develop your skills in order to make the right choice.

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 8 Apr 2013 - 10:11 AM
    blastedkane
    8 Apr 2013 - 9:30 AM

As you are just starting out then I wold have to agree with what has been said. I would get a more basic body but better lenses.

For example the 60D @ 600 would be a good camera to start with which will allow you to grow. (I have been using a 40d for the last 7 years). and this will allow almost 2k for lenses. look at the 501.8 at only 80 then L series glass.

To be honest the lenses will depend on what you wish to take. for wildlife you need the longer lenses. whereas for sports you need the faster lenses (apertures wider than f4.)

Glass is always king in these situations

puertouk
    puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2013 - 10:51 AM

Go wirth the Canon 5D MKII and you have money for a good lens. Try Panamoz

gaelldew
    gaelldew  6242 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Apr 2013 - 11:03 AM

Have a look at the different makes and hold them, make sure you can support the weight, does it feel right in your hands etc before you buy.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7663 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2013 - 1:56 PM

You've had sound advice so far. Bear in mind you'll have your camera for just a few years before there is something better to tempt further spending. Lenses should last you a lot longer if you invest in good quality optics. The initial investment is a lot [buying a 70-200 f2.8L IS II would blow most of your budget in one go], but most people hold onto lenses of that quality for many years - and they hold their value a lot better than any camera body.

If you do want to leap in near the top at 35mm format, the 6D is a good buy, new tech and would still leave you enough to get a decent L series standard zoom [although the newer ones are drastically overpriced at present], so the 24-105f4L could be the one to go for as a decent quality everyday optic. As someone else mentioned the 50mm f1.8 is a very economical way of grabbing yourself a fast prime.

iancrowson
    iancrowson e2 Member 4204 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Apr 2013 - 2:18 PM

I should look at a Nikon, they are ahead of Canon (at the moment) and that would put you way ahead of your sister's Canon. Nikon glass tend to be better too.

daytonsmum
    8 Apr 2013 - 4:34 PM

Thank you all so much for your opinions, right now I'm looking to get into portrait photography, not really interested in wildlife or sports. Blastedkane, where the heck did you find the 60d for that price!!!? Every where I have looked theyare asking just under 3 grand for it!! Then again I'm Canadian. This is the one that I found, they are asking $2999.00 for it, do you guys feel it is a good price, would the lens do for now etc. Canon EOS 6D w/ 24-70mm F4L IS Lens Kit Thank you all so much, and I appreciate you all being so kind.

daytonsmum
    16 Apr 2013 - 4:41 AM

Thank you all for your advice, it was so nice to get great advice that you know you can trust. Especially since my sister is giving me bad advice on purpose I guess wanting me to fail!?? I ended up going with the canon 6d with the EF 24-105 f/4L IS, since I wanted a little bit more zoom. Ecstatic with it so far! Thankfully if you have used a canon before a lot of the controls are the same so it hasn't been as big of a learning curve as I thought. I'm still having one issue that I can't seem to get answered correctly any where, maybe I'm not asking it right!? This has nothing to do with the purchase of the camerassoit is off topic of my original question but since there are so many great people answering on here I thought I'd ask. So I obviously know what over and under exposure is (when there is no data due to to much light or not enough in a quick explanation) but the question I have (and I'm thinking my original thought that it is just something that will come with time might be correct) is how do you know when the lighting in your picture is just right? I have some pictures I've taken that aren't under or over exposed but I feel are just a bit to dark or bright. How do I know if my eye isn't just off!? And I know the trick of setting it to auto and seeing what the camera "suggests" but as you all know, that doesn't always work, there are different things that can make it to bright or dark depending on the conditions so sometimes you have to go by your own eye. I feel like I feel pictures are often to dark when others feel they are fine!? I hope someone will get what I'm trying to explain. And please no negativity, only constructive criticism! Maybe I'll post one of the images I'm referring to?

StrayCat
    StrayCat  1014210 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2013 - 5:35 AM

The fact that you're Canadian means you're talking dollars instead of pounds, big difference. Also, right now the Canadian dollar will lose at least 5% on the USD and if you order from the US, you will have to pay taxes and customs as well, more than likely. That's why I have bought my last couple of lenses from Henry's in Ontario through their Ebay store. I live in Calgary btw. Here's a link to their ebay store: Henry's

I have been buying from them for 9 years, and they are 100% trustworthy, and the best service. They give you a warranty on most of their used kit also. They charge gst and pst where applicable, and very reasonable, fast shipping. Returns are no problem.

If you can't find what you want in Canada, then I would suggest Adorama in the US, again through ebay. They are another fine, trustworthy company. Don't be thrown off by advertised shipping costs from them, the actual costs are what they charge, and they let you know what they are when you go to the checkout. They also tell you what the fast customs clearance cost is.

I won't suggest any particular kit, because it's a very subjective thing. I've used Nikon, Olympus, Pentax, Canon, Olympus, Canon, and right now I'm using Olympus. I would buy either one.

Denny

Coast
    Coast Critique Team 6304 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom229 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2013 - 7:12 AM

Great choice of camera for Portraiture. Enjoy and don't forget to upload your pics for us to see. A good way of seeking advice, guidance and opinion on your work that may fast track your learning to suprise your sister! Grin

Steppenwolf
    16 Apr 2013 - 9:20 AM

Quote: the question I have (and I'm thinking my original thought that it is just something that will come with time might be correct) is how do you know when the lighting in your picture is just right? I have some pictures I've taken that aren't under or over exposed but I feel are just a bit to dark or bright.

It's a matter of judgement. Digital cameras can't cover the whole dynamic range of most scenes so setting the exposure correctly for a dark part of the subject will usually blow out the highlights - and if you set the exposure correctly for the highlights the darker parts will be too dark. So it's a compromise. In general you want to get the most amount of light (i.e. the shortest exposure/widest aperture) without blowing the highlights. Then you can adjust the picture later. If you shoot in RAW you'll find that you can make quite large adjustments to an exposure without degrading the quality of the picture - modern sensors are getting very forgiving in this respect.

As an aside, I use an SLT (which has an EVF) and I can set the EVF up to show me what the final picture is going to look like which takes the guesswork out of the exposure of tricky subjects. Unfortunately the DSLR's OVF can't do this trick.

Ploughman
    Ploughman  128 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Apr 2013 - 8:22 PM

My advice is - just buy a dslr camera, any camera, with a kit lens (second hand even). read up and learn by heart the basics such as exposure triangle. Take loads of pictures and keep all of them, after a while you will have the following knowledge.

1) How your camera`s features work.
    2) How to set the features to give the desired results.
    3) What type of photography you like doing.
    4) What focal length of the kit zoom you use the most.
    5) What you like/dislike about the camera and lens you own.

Once armed with this knowledge, you can decide where you want your photo journey to take you and more importantly you will have your own experiences to guide you on future purchases. Doing it this way will ensure a fantastic photo hobby that will last you a lifetime.
    Remember, it is your camera gear, bought with your money and it should be your decisions.

So, good luck and once you have the gear come back to this site and ask loads of questions.

Oh, by the way, I use a Pentax K5 + K100d as a backup ( read the K5 review here on this site), my third Pentax after 30 years with Minolta. Yes I can recommend Pentax but it is far better for you to make your own decision and you need experience and for that you need a dslr, any dslr.

Regards, Richard.

Last Modified By Ploughman at 18 Apr 2013 - 8:30 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.