Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help!? Which should I buy - CS4 or Lightroom 2?... or is this the wrong question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Handprint
    Handprint  6
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:12 PM

Help!... if it's out there - I am not interested in sophisticated image manipulation but more with old-fashioned D&Ptechniques (exposure, burning, dodging, removal of unwanted debris etc). Will Lightroom cut the mustard or do I have to cough-up for CS-4? I shoot in RAW and could be seduced by HDR capabilities. Many thanks, Andrew

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:17 PM

Lightroom should meet your needs

LeighRebecca
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:22 PM

I manage at the moment with DPP (the free raw converter for Canon) and elements 6. It can do those things you mention. And if you really want HDR, photomatix tends to be the tool of choice anyway.

User_Removed
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:30 PM

Quote: Lightroom should meet your needs

Based on your criteria, I would agree.

miptog
    miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:31 PM

Agree with LeighRebecca's comments.

There is a FREE Beta of Lightroom 3.0 that you can download and trial just to see what the product can do, and thus make your own decision on what is best for your needs.

Kris_Dutson
    6 Nov 2009 - 8:51 PM

Since I invested in Lightroom, CS doesn't get much of a look in.

Last Modified By Kris_Dutson at 6 Nov 2009 - 8:52 PM
    Kapulco
    Kapulco  6 United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2009 - 1:24 AM

Just like to put in a word for Serif Photo+.

An earlier version, reduced (SE) is available as a freebie:

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/photoplus/

Or, for 10 one can choose the later V9.

I use the latest version - Serif PhotoPlusX3 Digital Studio (why, oh why, do software firms feel they have to change designations to keep abreast with Microsoft?) but that would cost 60. It allows the use of Photoshop plug-ins (as do many such programmes) but it is probably much more than you need - try the freebie first.

The latest (60) version:

http://www.serif.com/photoplus/

(NB the optional resource guide and the necessary P&P are extra).

I have used Serif for decades (literally). It is based in Nottingham, UK and produces excellent software - especially its flagship programmes (Page+, Draw+ and Photo+). And, no, I have no connections nor pay-back. C'mon Serif, I'm working hard here!

K.

User_Removed
    7 Nov 2009 - 9:38 AM

I would support the idea of considering the Serif option. The level of functioning in the programs is often far more than you might expect for the price.

I used PhotoPlus 10 until recently but unfortunately had to give up on the versions following, including X3, because of the limited 16 bit handling - or at least the fact that saving in 16 bit removes all the exif data.

Strangely, although version 10 was not supposed to handle 16 bit it did, and better than the following versions, and it maintained the exif data.

The free versions are good, and they do keep to their 30 day money back if you buy and don't like it.

Take the time to try the trials of the various options.

Kapulco
    Kapulco  6 United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Nov 2009 - 10:04 AM

Quote: I would support the idea of considering the Serif option. The level of functioning in the programs is often far more than you might expect for the price.

I used PhotoPlus 10 until recently but unfortunately had to give up on the versions following, including X3, because of the limited 16 bit handling - or at least the fact that saving in 16 bit removes all the exif data.

Strangely, although version 10 was not supposed to handle 16 bit it did, and better than the following versions, and it maintained the exif data.

The free versions are good, and they do keep to their 30 day money back if you buy and don't like it.

Take the time to try the trials of the various options.

Good points, thanks Brett,

As most of my work is neo-insane - well, takes images almost as far from the original as is possible - EXIF does not matter to me. It may well to most "straight" photographers; so do bear in mind Brett's point there.

I try to run on a commercial basis, therefore have to keep costs low where possible. If I need to pay more for a tool which is necessary, I will try to buy it but, if I can save money elsewhere, without compromising final image quality, then I do. Very successful commercial photographers and well-off enthuiasts do not have such limitations (or, at least, to such a degree) so will probably always opt for the latest Photoshop. But, hey, there is a 2,500 Canon available soon I'd like - or maybe... Smile

Thanks again, Brett, and good luck in your searches, Andrew.

K.

Last Modified By Kapulco at 7 Nov 2009 - 10:06 AM
    Handprint
    Handprint  6
    8 Nov 2009 - 8:14 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the excellent response and advice - much appreciated. Front Page News: Having taken pity on me a friend has given me a genuine boxed CS3 as they were given CS4 by their girl-friend - this should, from your collective advice, be more than enough! Who knows I might even start making my original photos look better... pah! good composition is for losers any way.

Once again, my thanks to you all.

Kind regards

Andrew

Jestertheclown
    8 Nov 2009 - 10:21 PM

I know Andrew, that you're sorted now but to continue re. Serif for anyone else that may be interested; if you contact Serif and express an interest in one of their products, they will latch on to you like a leech.
    That's a nuisance if you don't want their attention. in which case politely saying so does the trick but if you play your cards right they will sell you their suites at far lower prices than they are advertised at.
    I've got PhotoPlus X3 and have just been offered, in a phone call from Serif, their most recent version (I can't remember the name) for 19.99.
    The saleslady started at over 300.00 although, obviously, that's just to impress you and no-one would ever pay that (?).
    Instead you just need to keep feigning an interest but saying you can't afford it and the price will fall.
    Not only that but with every "I'll just speak to my supervisor" gap in the conversation, she kept adding additional "free" software.
    I've had many similar calls and each time, had I been interested, I could have made a considerable saving.
    Their stuff's pretty good too.
    I've also got PagePlus X3 (what M$ Publisher ought to be like), DrawPlus X3 and ImpactPlus X3. All of which are excellent and I think I only paid about 30.00 for the lot.
    Jester.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.