Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HELP? Canon 50d battery problem.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Artois
Artois  7405 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 4:41 PM

Hi folks

When I load a fully charged battery after a few mins the battery shows one bar then after another 5 mins or so the battery icon flashes and camera dies. I have tried 2 different batteries and the same happens. Could it be a fault with the charger or the camera? Any ideas as to what the fault could be and any easy remedies. I really do not want the hassle of returning it. It is less than a year old so still under guarantee.
Stella

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Apr 2010 - 4:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104504 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 4:48 PM

It's normally a sign that the battery is on it's last legs or what can temporarily happen in very cold weather. I'd have expected longer than a years use out of it though.
Is it being used directly in the camera body or in a battery grip? This could often happen in the poor quality 20D grips, perhaps it's the same poor design with the 50D.

Last Modified By justin c at 4 Apr 2010 - 4:51 PM
Artois
4 Apr 2010 - 5:20 PM

Thank you for replying. The battery is in the camera. I have tried both my batteries independently and the same thing happens. Both batteries when placed on charge after removal from the camera show fully charged within a few minutes and yet the camera shows no charge, If I put the batteries back in the camera it shows fully charged for a few mins then the scenario in original post occurs.

Stella

bagupsteve
bagupsteve  1043 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Apr 2010 - 6:14 PM

hi,
this may be a long shot but i suffered a fault with the battery charger which would always show the batterys full within a short while but on the camera would show semi charged.
i had another charger and hey presto the batteries took a while to charge and then when placed in the camera they would show up full and work correctly.
steve

ripleysalien
4 Apr 2010 - 9:10 PM

I have had battery probs for a while so yesterday I decided i would "kill" the battery, I charged it, and put it in the camera.
After about and hour of using live view and focusing it showed half life, then about an hour after that it was flashing.
Believe it or not it carried on working the whole day Baterry warning flashing ) finally giving up at sunset.
I took 350+ shots not counting the ones I deleated through the day, so 400+
When I charged it today it was back to taking a while to charge rather than a couple of minutes.
Try to discharge it as much as poss before re-charging it, if its under a year old though take it back and have it replaced.

Snapper
Snapper  93657 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Apr 2010 - 9:18 PM

Quote: I really do not want the hassle of returning it. It is less than a year old so still under guarantee.
Stella

Better and cheaper to return it now than wait a few months, have the same amount of hassle and have to pay for it as well!

Artois
5 Apr 2010 - 3:53 PM

Thank you for responses. I think it may be a faulty battery charger but upon reflection agree with Snapper and will get it sorted whilst under guarantee in case it is a more serious problem.

Stella

QP
QP  4
5 Apr 2010 - 7:47 PM

Send it back!!! It's worth the hassle Wink

Artois
9 Apr 2010 - 12:40 PM

I have contacted Canon and they believe it is a contacts problem so will be sending it off, when I can find the receipt, which is somewhere so safe I can't find it lol.

Stella

Artois
9 Apr 2010 - 3:10 PM

Found receipt. It was in with my house purchase papers! Of course, silly me where else would it be in my filing system. LOL dappy c*w springs to mind.
Stella
ps I am normally very organised but I did buy it in the middle of moving house so I do have an excuse?

Artois
21 Apr 2010 - 10:14 AM

I have had a response from Canon repair centre. The camera fired over 1800 shots on their test battery. The battery I sent with the camera did drain very quickly. The question is I now need replacement battery. I will see if I can get it replaced under warranty but just in case I can't, I am wondering whether to buy a 3rd party brand as the canon replacement is £85. Are they any good or do I bite the bullet and spend money I can ill afford at present?

Stella

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2010 - 10:19 AM

Be very careful with non canon battery, a search will show some very dodgy 3rd party battery's out there, in some cases catching fire, im sure there are some good ones also but be very careful

Artois
21 Apr 2010 - 10:27 AM

Oh, worrying.! Just spoken to Warehouse Express about getting replacement under warranty but that I need camera for this weekend looks like will take a while to get battery replaced under warranty not as simple as it should be! I asked about 3rd party and they stock Hahnel and apparently that make is ok. I will do a search and see what I find.

Stella

Artois
21 Apr 2010 - 10:46 AM

Canon have just informed me the battery is NOT covered under warranty. WE are going to speak to them as they believe it is. Losing the will to live here.
Stella

KevSB
KevSB  101387 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2010 - 11:10 AM

3rd party Battery

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.