Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help! Downgrading vista to XP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
booboocat
booboocat  6201 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 - 3:36 PM

Hi guys,just wondered if any of the techies out there can help.
My son has Vista on his pc,once again,and now he wants to go back to XP.
I have tried to do all the usual stuff,likegetting the pc to boot from the hard drive to format,partition etc so I can do a clean in stall of Xp,but yet everytime i do manage to get it to do it,all I get after about 10 mins,is the msg saying'that as there is another later version of windows installed it wont continue.!
Can anyone out there tell me how I can get xp back onto this pc please????
I have done it before for him,after I found a fantastic website that literally held your hand as you went thru the steps,but I cannot for the life on me remember its name.
Has Vista got some secret programm to stop anyone uninstalling it>>lol
This is driving me nutz,now my son want to rip out the hard drive and get another one,just to get rid of vista!
If only I can remember the websites name etc.
I have tried also to remove vista from the laptop,but again,I get a similar msg,plus it states that there is now,no uninstall feature of xp on the drive or programmes,so argghhh.
Anyone out there can help??
cheers if you can.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Feb 2009 - 3:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 3:44 PM

Why doesn't he just get used to Vista? I had reservations about moving to Vista (see here) when I bought a new PC, it but can't say I notice it is there at all now.

User_Removed
8 Feb 2009 - 3:50 PM

Quote: Why doesn't he just get used to Vista?

CB - I have both. XP at home and r***y Vista in the office.

I hate Vista with a passion. We're all different dear Sir!!!

Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 3:52 PM

I might hate Vista if I noticed it, but I don't!

It did need a bit of tweaking though before it worked to my satisfaction, i.e. so that (like any good OS) I did not notice it.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 8 Feb 2009 - 3:52 PM
booboocat
8 Feb 2009 - 3:56 PM

I guess Vista is okish,I have it on my laptops both here and at work,but....
my son prefers XP,he has run vista on the pc for a while,but realy hates the incompatibility issues with it,so needs to go back to the older xp version.
And yes,we are all different,what one person likes another may not,its not realy a case of getting used to it I think,but one that he feels more comfortable with and will run all of his stuff.

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 3:56 PM

Not tried it myself, we normally put Xp back on as an image process. Have you done a total format of the drive? not just the quick one.

Also have you tried running Vista in its classic mode it looks more like Xp for the Luddite's Wink

Just for the reference why go back to Xp? I use both, and Vista is a bit better, especially in terms of protection and diagnostics.

Also what were the incompatible issues, there are workarounds for lots.

Last Modified By strawman at 8 Feb 2009 - 3:57 PM
Carabosse
8 Feb 2009 - 3:58 PM

Quote: he has run vista on the pc for a while,but realy hates the incompatibility issues with it

What has he found that is incompatible?

I have upwards of 50 bits of software which I moved from XP to Vista. Only one (an ancient DOS-based game) didn't work.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 8 Feb 2009 - 4:02 PM
Carabosse
8 Feb 2009 - 4:03 PM

Thank's Barrie - I've edited! Grin

booboocat
8 Feb 2009 - 4:45 PM

The stupid pc will not let me format the drive,why is vista being so finicky ??
I have tried booting from the cd,but it just bypasses it and goes into vista desktop.tried going into the boot settings,forced it to boot from cd,but bypasses it at startup.
Hmmmm....me thinks a hammer might be a welcome tool at this point.
How can I format the drive in vista,that way I can reinstall xp...any takers????

Mr_Tog
Mr_Tog  648 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 - 4:52 PM

You need to blow the partion away with something like DELPART.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 4:53 PM

This might be a sure way
Ken

booboocat
8 Feb 2009 - 5:27 PM

Will this then just totaly clean wipe the drive not kill it??Will I be able to reinstall the xp on this

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 5:40 PM

If it has a floppy drive, make a dos boot disk. Boot to DOS and then go to the C Drive and format it. Or download something like DS Linux and boot to it on a CD then format the HD from Linux

I take it you mean the OS will not let you format the drive when it is running it. This is correct as that would protect users from themselves.

That tool will work OK

Last Modified By strawman at 8 Feb 2009 - 5:44 PM
bppowell
bppowell  122119 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2009 - 5:43 PM

When you boot from the windows install CD it creates a partition in memory that holds the tools needed to carry out the install.

One of these tools is called fdisk you can use this to delete the c:\ partition and then use it again to create a new c:\ partition.

A warning, everything on that partition will have been deleted.

From memory and assuming you only have one hard drive and one CD drive I think it given the letter e so it becomes the e:\

Once having booted to a c:\ prompt.
type e: then press return.
type fdisk press return

I would look up an fdisk helpfile before destroying the partition with this or any other tool.

Barry

mlewis
mlewis  91470 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Feb 2009 - 5:51 PM

When you run the XP setup from the XP disc at the start you will be asked where you want to install Windows. Delete the available disk partitions at this point, then create a new partition and install on that.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.