Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HELP! need new DSLR but which one!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Webby
Webby  8 United Kingdom
16 Dec 2009 - 4:50 PM

So i have just sold my Nikon d40x and am looking to up grade. I was under the impression that any lenses i bought for ththe d40x i wouldnt be able to use on other nikon dslr because of the in built AF. Is this correct?

I was looking at the canon 450d but is this and upgrade? it looks very similar to the 1000d but more expensive anyone know the differnce between them?

I am interested in creating HDR images, anyone know if the auto HDR functions are good?

basically i have read so many reviews and comparisons my brain is fried and i now have even less of a clue what camera to buy : - (

Help!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2009 - 4:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Dec 2009 - 5:19 PM

Quote: So i have just sold my Nikon d40x and am looking to up grade. I was under the impression that any lenses i bought for ththe d40x i wouldnt be able to use on other nikon dslr because of the in built AF. Is this correct?

I'm pretty sure its not, and I'm sure a Nikon user will confirm this shortly.

Would I be right in thinking you also sold any Nikon lenses you had and are now starting from scratch? Also what's your budget?

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014800 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 5:24 PM

The new Pentax K-x. Read the review on here.

LensYews
LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 5:33 PM

Firstly why did you sell the d40x? the reasons for that could be important in selecting a replacement. What didn't it give you that you must have in a replacement?

This page might help you with the question about lens compatibility.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
filmforever
16 Dec 2009 - 5:33 PM

Quote:

basically i have read so many reviews and comparisons my brain is fried and i now have even less of a clue what camera to buy : - (

Help!

I feel you're in danger of going down with "megapixel madness" disease!...Because a model has a slightly higher specification, don't assume that automatically translates into noticeably better quality.
I know pros. still using the Nikon D200 (superceded some time ago) and still happy with it because it givers them all the quality they need.
Before you splash out a small fortune, remember all digital cameras have built in obsolesence.....this year's wonder camera is next years history....and equipment depreciation reflects this.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 5:35 PM

Cambirders right. It was the d40 that needed lenses with a motor in to get AF. Any lens with the AF motor will work in all the other Nikon systems and retain AF.

The reason the D40 didn't have a built in servo a was to cut down on size / weight.

As you have the Nikon system lenses it will depend on yor budget but look at the D90, or D300.

The main difference you will see is the better resolution andmuch improved high ISO noise performance.

I had (still have) the D80 I would rarely go over ISO400, now for candies and wildlife I start at ISO800, and think nothing of going up to 1600 with the D300. However at base ISO the D80 is slightly better in the noise department.
nick

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 5:40 PM

Quote: other nikon dslr because of the in built AF. Is this correct?

Wrong, Any lens that works on a D40x Will work on any Nikon digital body, Even the full frame ( FX ) bodies such as the D700/D3/D3s/D3x.....!!!

Quote: auto HDR functions

HDR requires a set of images, Minimum 2, That have been shot with different exposure settings, These are then merged in software, That extracts the Dynamic Range from the images and allows you to make the best or worst of what is available.

A look and read from this site, Should explain better than me.

If you wish to stick with Nikon, Surely a Nikon D90 would be a good upgrade, No need to go buying any lens either, That said the Nikon D5000 is probably an upgrade from the D40x, Certainly in the " Sensor " and High ISO department.....Smile

Think long and hard before buying anything, Ask yourself where your interests lay, Then look for the tool that will do that...!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 5:52 PM

Just re-read the op. I don't think any camera has auto HDR as such. What you get is auto bracket.

The D90 can bracket upto 3 images upto 2 stops apart, which is adequate for most HDRI processing, however the D300 can shoot 9stops 1 stop apart, which will cover almost any situation.

To process look at something like photomatix.

LensYews
LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 6:21 PM

The closest to auto HDR currently is the Fuji EXR compact

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2009 - 9:26 PM

Quote: I don't think any camera has auto HDR as such.

The Sony A550 does.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Dec 2009 - 9:55 PM

I think the Pentax K-x does as well which is probably why Straycat recommended at post 3

Webby
Webby  8 United Kingdom
17 Dec 2009 - 10:16 AM

wow! thanks for all your help guys & gals!

very dissapointed about the whole lense situation but nevermind was upgrade time anyway.

I am not going to go for auto an HDR camera as i think they only merge 2 pictures, so it will prob be D90 or D5000 for better sensor and iso, i am going to go have a play and see which one feel right!

Thanks again!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2009 - 10:20 AM

I think you'll be more than happy with the D90.......and if you want to spend more , buy a suppa doopa lens.

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Dec 2009 - 10:33 AM

absolutely agree, D90 is superb.

lensmanicu
20 Dec 2009 - 3:46 AM

Hello newbe here on this forum I just bought the Nikon D3000 and so far am very happy with it although its my first digital. Any thoughts please advise.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.