Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    alianar
    alianar  582 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2010 - 9:08 AM

Hi i am buying a nikon d5000 and noticed that it can take in raw if i take in raw does the camera come with a program to covert raw to jpeg? Thanks AryanSmile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Feb 2010 - 9:08 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pluffy
    pluffy  7131 forum posts United Kingdom
    17 Feb 2010 - 9:36 AM

I believe that the Nikon software is an optional extra, you can convert your Nikon RAW files to DNG using the free converter from the Adobe website which will work as well. If you have Lightroom you can use this to convert them as well.

I wouldn't let this hold you back because there are way's around it.

Steve.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104034 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2010 - 10:34 AM

The Nikon D5000 will normally come with it's own software View NX which I believe can convert Raw (although I'm having problems loading it to my PC so can't verify that it does).

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2010 - 12:59 PM

The Nikon D5000 will come with Nikon ViewNX.

This program will convert RAW ( NEF ) data files created by the camera.

Take note that when you choose to convert a RAW file to a " Tiff " ( also called TIFF ) you will have options to convert to 8 or 16 bit tiff files.

For heavy processing 16 bit is preffered, For a mild tweak here & there 8 bit is plenty good enough.

One problem with 16 bit tiff files is the size, In the case of the D5000's output a 16 bit tiff is around 70Mb, Where as an 8 bit is half as much.

Nikon ViewNX also allows for RAW conversion straight to JPEG (jpeg) Should you wish to do so.

Bottom line, Nikon ViewNX is a pretty good all round program for handling all the files created by your D5000, Converting to DNG is not really required, Unless you so wish.

Enjoy your D5000 is a great little camera.....Wink

EDIT: Have a look at the version number of Nikon ViewNX that is supplied on your disc, Chances are its not the latest version, As Nikon update it quite frequently.

The very latest version number is " Ver 1.5.2 " This can be downloaded free from Nikons site, If you have already installed the dic copy, Just run the download version to bring it up to date.

Note this is worth doing as there have been several fixes & additions to the program.

Last Modified By cameracat at 17 Feb 2010 - 1:03 PM
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104034 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Feb 2010 - 3:16 PM

Quote: For those having problems finding the latest version of NikonViewNX, Click here to download.

thanks, Cameracat. I have had a series of exchanges with Nikon support but they seem unable to resolve the problem. (error report as soon as ViewNX opens and it closes automatically). We have cleared out the registry and unloaded previous installations, restarted etc etc etc.

Such a pity as I would have liked to have tried RAW

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.