Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 2

Help Beta Test "v6" Homepage and Directories

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Holmewood
Holmewood e2 Member 1Holmewood vcard United Kingdom
19 Feb 2014 - 8:23 PM

Liking the look of it all

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Feb 2014 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72500 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
19 Feb 2014 - 9:09 PM

So far so good, on a Blackberry Playbook...Smile

messhai
messhai  9 United Kingdom
19 Feb 2014 - 9:19 PM

Submitted a report as well but thought I'd post it here to see what others think.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some feedback and suggestions on the mobile optimised V6 site. Device details are at the very bottom.

Issues
a) The left and right margin/space in the top grey Menu bar is inconsistent with the rest of the site. When I flip the phone to landscape, it then spaces out correctly. No issues with Nexus 7 tablet. So it's only in portrait mode on my mobile.

b) When the menu bar is expanded and I try to scroll down the menu, sometimes the site loses track of the active area and instead of scrolling the menu, it scrolls the page underneath it. Similarly, when I scroll the page below, it sometimes scrolls the menu instead (the menu is still expanded).

Feedback/Suggestions
a) If you don't mind, I'll refer to the new UI as a card style UI (ala Google+). On the tablet/desktop/iPad, the margins/space are fine but on the mobile, I think it's a bit too generous. I think it would still look clean and uncluttered with half the amount of space between screen edge to card and between text and edge of card.

b) Some cards contain full width (i.e the full width of the card) images whilst others don't. Seeing that it's a photography site, I think most images, if not all, should fill out the full width of the card. The "POTW" card is how it should be done. "Recent Group Activity", "Featured e2 Member", "Featured e2 Photo" really could do with a new layout to emphasise the photos.

c) Length of the page is really long on a mobile. I can see that you've taken the three columns from the desktop layout and just stacked them but I think certain cards can be reduced. Cut down on the amount of articles/entries in the "New Articles" and "Forum Discussion" cards. Reduce the space between cards!! It really does not need to be that big. And if possible, reduce the amount of adverts by half. Mobile bandwidth is limited so it really helps if the page is short to load faster!

d) The top grey menu bar could have some added functionality. Remember, this is for the mobile optimised site! It would be nice that the expanded menu auto collapses when it is no longer active i.e. when the page beneath it is touched/triggered. Also, I think the text, "Menu" should just be removed since tapping on it actually triggers the go to top of page rather than expanding the menu bar. To fill in that space, add a "Join Now" and "Login" buttons to it so it's upfront. At the moment, one has to expand the menu and scroll all the way down (I know that there is the first card that prompts to join but I think it's not as effective). And, when a login is initiated, that space should then be filled with the member's avatar and a notification flag showing the number of any unread messages or replies to photos/comments. Tapping the avatar would jump straight to the users's profile. Tapping the unread count go straight to messages etc. Again, the current layout has all that info right at the bottom of the very long menu! And lastly, the list of categories in the menu makes it really long to scroll. Plus, there are the sub-categories. There must be a way to simplify it or maybe even remove the expandable sub-categories.

And that's it really. It's a really good improvement over the previous version so job well done.

Device details:
LG Nexus 5
Android 4.4.2
Chrome browser 32.0.1700.99

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85870 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Feb 2014 - 10:49 PM

Looks good to meSmile

'bout time I revamped my banner etc; - shows 'em upBlush

derekhansen
derekhansen e2 Member 5183 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2014 - 9:11 PM

Really like the look. Simple layout and everything easy to find. Easy to use so far.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
20 Feb 2014 - 9:38 PM

Thanks for all the feedback up to now everyone. Seems that for the most part, everything is good. If all goes to plan, we will be looking to go live early next week.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 20 Feb 2014 - 9:39 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012549 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2014 - 9:42 PM

I may have to finally upgrade my phone Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2014 - 9:48 PM

I really like the clean look. One comment is in the options section in the portfolio, the text colour and box colours are too similar. I have to use the drop-down arrow to see what each option is (it's the same on the live site too). Other than that minor comment it looks far better.

KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72500 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
20 Feb 2014 - 9:52 PM

well good luck with it David !...no doubt a lot of sweat and hard work...then we start the stopwatch to see who's the first Luddite to whinge..having not followed the story so far...Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96225 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Feb 2014 - 10:27 PM

Appears that the Forum Recent Activity pages have changed as well and I am now only getting 3 or 6 topics on a page instead of the previous 9 !

Last Modified By JJGEE at 20 Feb 2014 - 10:32 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014052 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2014 - 11:45 AM

Quote: Appears that the Forum Recent Activity pages have changed as well and I am now only getting 3 or 6 topics on a page instead of the previous 9 !

The only areas of the beta that are actually complete are the home page & directories area, the rest are to be reworked in the near future.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
brianjoyce
brianjoyce e2 Member 9brianjoyce vcard United Kingdom
23 Feb 2014 - 12:23 PM

Link seems to be broken ?

Regards

Brian

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.