Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help buying Flashgun

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    derekhansen
    derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:06 PM

I want to buy a flashgun to use for portraits and general indoor so am looking for some suggestions here. My camera is a Canon 5D mark2 and I have a budget around 200. I dont mind if its a canon or third party.
    If its not already obvious I am a complete beginner when it comes to flash.
    Derek

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:17 PM

I have a Canon 580 MKII and Yongnuo YN560 II.
    I am thinking of getting another Yongnuo YN560 II, at 50, it is much cheaper than Canon's and as powerful. But there is no TTL.
    For that, the next one up is worth considering at less than 100: YN 565

derekhansen
    derekhansen e2 Member 5184 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom23 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 1:26 PM

Thanks Cole. Having quickly looked at the spec of the YN 565 It looks like ideal and as you say a lot cheaper than the Canon equivelant.

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:07 PM

Hi, you can get the Canon Speedlight 430EX II for 191 pounds here They are a good company and all taxes are paid for.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53581 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 2:34 PM

"portraits and general indoor" do you want a small portable speedlite flashgun - for 200 you can get a cheap home studio flash head system and some softboxes?

speedlite's are good but they are small so you need to bounce the light through modifiers or off walls to get wide even coverage ( also true for studio lights ). they generally take batteries and these need changing every few hundred shots.

For portable portraits i use speedlites, for home portraits i use studio heads.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315164 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:51 PM

I would be inclined to agree with Col, for a complete beginner a camera flash would be the best way to go.

Yongnuo YN560 II are good as are the Metz units but you might need a ttl lead with these.

To start with just get a single unit with a lead (if needed), get to understand how it works on and off camera and go from there, a lot can be done with just one unit.

MrGoatsmilk
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:59 PM

Nissin are well worth looking at too, I'm pleased with mine.

I have the Di 866 II

lawbert
    lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:26 PM

Quote: Hi, you can get the Canon Speedlight 430EX II for 191 pounds here They are a good company and all taxes are paid for.

The 430 exII I would say is a good starting point as it will pair with your camera perfectly and give you ttl which is a good starting point at understanding flash.

As for buying you can buy UK stock at all the major camera retailers and Canon are doing 20 cash back until January which makes it near enough 180.

I totally agree with Paul Morgan that an off camera lead is a must and you can get some excellent longer length Yongnuo cables very cheaply from Ebay...I have a 10 meter one which I bought a couple of years ago and is exceptionally good quality at a bargain price....The canon one is pathetically short and grossly over priced.

martinl
    martinl e2 Member 10249 forum postsmartinl vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 7:01 PM

I just bought the 430EXII and am slowly dipping my toe in the flash water as well. The 430 works well, it;s just me that doesn't!! Also bought some cheap wireless flash triggers off Amazon at the same time, and have given them ago. Whilst cheap, they've not missed a beat yet (cost about 18.00!) These Amazon Flash Triggers

derekhansen
    28 Nov 2012 - 8:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I have decided to dip my toe gently into the water by buying a Yongnuo YN565 and learning how to use that before investing to heavily in a studio system.
    Derek

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.