Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help getting my daughter started

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73832 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 7:13 PM

You may wonder why I'm posting in the beginners section, the reason is my 14 year old daughter is starting a Duke of Edinburgh award scheme at school. The skill / hobby she's chosen is photography, which was a massive but welcome surprise.

The problem I have, is I think I'm good at picking up new subjects ideas, and like to think I have above average knowledge of how a camera works, but as a tutor/ mentor I'm hopeless. When I try explaining things she gets lost after 5 seconds (and she's a pretty bright kid). She has the same reaction when I help with science, saying I'm giving an "A" level answer, to a simple question.

Is there any good resources to teach the basics on photography (aperture, shutter speed, even I know ISOWould be too much to start with)

She will be using the Olympus Pen EPL-1 which she loves - but it frustrates me. At the moment she doesn't know what she wants to take pictures of, but one things for sure they won't be like Dads (she hates my stuff).

She has to put together a project portfolio, with an online blog, finally the work has to be signed off by a professional photographer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How good is Photoshop Elements for the basics? And would we be able to get a student copy?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2013 - 7:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96236 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 7:18 PM

Quote: with an online blog

Her online blog could perhaps be here on epz.
There is already an A Level student, alice170596 ( Alice ) doing just that.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 7:21 PM

Quote: You may wonder why I'm posting in the beginners section

Naaa....I knew it was for yourself.....Smile Tongue Wink Grin.......lol

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73832 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 7:27 PM

Thanks Jeff thats very helpful ... more than Cole reply (have to remember which thread I'm posting on, or my reply wouldn't be quite so politr Smile Tongue )

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 7:32 PM

PS Elements is excellent and yes you'd qualify for a student copy. Then buy her a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

goexplorephotography

Hi Nick,

I occasionally have DofE participants contact me asking for help and advice. I normally offer a free place on my one day beginners workshop. "Understand your digital camera" Unfortunately Im based in Ironbridge Shropshire. which is a little too far from you. However I'm sure someone closer and similar to myself could offer something, even if its not free you may get a reduced price.

As regards Elements. its probably suitable for 99% of all photographers. The full photoshop is actually a graphic design software. Which is good for photographers & editors who publish in magazines, which is not a requirement for most. Elements is a slimmed down version which contains just the functions required by photographers. Hence the name "elements". I think its all your daughter will need.

if you go to http://www.software4students.co.uk/t/categories/graphic-design
you can get some good discounts.

Regards Garreth

Nick_w
14 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM

Thanks Jeff & Keith, will look check out the book on Amazon Keith thanks

Nick_w
14 Feb 2013 - 7:48 PM

Thanks Gareth

lawbert
lawbert  71696 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:15 PM

Its exceedingly difficult to advise on how you encourage a 14 year old when as a Dad you have carved your niche in Photography and your understanding of it.

Perhaps showing her what can be achieved with her camera by searching users of it (Paul Morgan is a great exponent of the Olympus system for a starter point) and then she can gain an understanding through trying to replicate images she finds appealing to her, and then as a Dad when she has grazed her knees by failing miserably she will come to you to gain your knowledge.

Just an Idea

Nick_w
14 Feb 2013 - 8:20 PM

Great idea, tho coming to Dad, she's too stubborn for that.... Takes after her Mum

Eviscera
Eviscera  81099 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:25 PM

Quote: I think I'm good at picking up new subjects ideas,

No you're not , you revert back to conventional / popular formulae when your "experiments" don't get the recognition you think they should do.

Quote: I have above average knowledge of how a camera works, but as a tutor/ mentor I'm hopeless.

This is true.

Quote: She has to put together a project portfolio, with an online blog, finally the work has to be signed off by a professional photographer.

She is 14 Nick , allow her wings. She will find inspiration amongst her peers , just show her how light and colour work together and to explore the palette with creative pov.

Assure her that even if the "professional photographer" cant see the merit , she will...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314996 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:39 PM

Quote: Is there any good resources to teach the basics on photography (aperture, shutter speed, even I know ISOWould be too much to start with)

To start with just hand her a camera set to P or one of the other semi automated modes, let her get to grips with the basics, like seeing and composition.

Some kids don`t like being pressured, let her find her own feet and progress at her own rate, this way the learning is more fun.

My youngest daughter started with one of my camera`s aged 13, she just picked the camera up and started snapping away with my lensbaby 2.0 attached, her results left me a little shocked.

lawbert
lawbert  71696 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: Great idea, tho coming to Dad, she's too stubborn for that.... Takes after her Mum

get Mum Involved? kids are super stubborn at 14, as are mums!! as are Dads!!Wink

Give the pen a go yourself and find a starting point.....lose the frustration of your superior knowledge and start a whole new photographic experience for your self without all the luxuries Dslr's and great lenses affordWink

Pop down the local chinese or indian and all of you have a discussion about photogrpahy in a neutral environmentWink

Your pretty damn lucky you daughter has an interest in your interests...

I had to take up skateboarding for a while and have the scars mentally and physically still !!SadSadWink

Nick_w
14 Feb 2013 - 8:44 PM

Quote: you revert back to conventional / popular formulae when your "experiments" don't get the recognition you think they should do.

No Dave, I revert back when I don't have the time to do the images I want to - takes 10 mins to process a landscape (ok probably nearer an hour), takes 10 hours for the ones I want to do (you know why I don't have time anymore).

On the recognition, couldn't be further from the truth, I'm my own worst critic.

Tho I hope next week to get some material for my next project.

Very good points on the other bits - she does seem to have a good natural eye for composition so I guess she's part way there.

Craggwildlife
Craggwildlife e2 Member 571 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:45 PM

Hi
I am taking a young person thro' their paces for the DofE Award,at the moment , i see the person for two hours every two weeks and once a month have a morning or longer (sunday) out with the camera..

i find that its better not to get too in depth at an early stage and what i have done regarding ISO, aperture settings , focal length etc i leave it with the

person first to look up what they can find on the internet, then when we meet up , they have gained a little knowledge themselves without just me

telling them.......... it seems to be working ok..

The reason we leave it for a fortnight is that they have other schoolwork projects to do as well and i dont want him to loose interest with overdoing it.

I have set aside approx. 4 to 5 months for doing this.....Regarding his portfolio i have asked for 2 to 3 captures of 1. landscape..2. still life..3. macro.

.4.... buildings 5...panning.6 ...movement . etc:....we spend an evening or more until fully understood on each topic and then when we go out with the

camera put it into practice

Hope this helps a bit..

David

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.