Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help getting my daughter started

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Eviscera
Eviscera  81096 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 8:56 PM

Nick ,

This is me you are talking to , not a 14 year old who is not looking for your justification of your own workflow.

Thats why you need to see the world through her eyes if you are ever going to be a mentor..

If not , dont impose your experience on her , at her age , the magic of discovery is far more important than the golden ratio an all that kak Wink

That comes later .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Feb 2013 - 8:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 9:18 PM

Are we reading the same thread? Nick has already said that he might not be the best tutor for her.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72120 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 9:19 PM

Quote: At the moment she doesn't know what she wants to take pictures of, but one things for sure they won't be like Dads (she hates my stuff).

It is her responsibility as a teenager to do quite the opposite of anything you do, and she will probably be 25 before admitting that she has always admired your work - basic parent/child(teenager) psycholgy Smile

Wait until she asks you for advice, and when she does, be prepared to show her in practical photography terms exactly what you are explaining - using analogies that she can relate to.
Oh yes - dont expect thanks or credit, as she will have discovered it for herself . Again that will come later.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
14 Feb 2013 - 9:45 PM

Keith's right, I'm too impatient to be a good tutor, of course I will give advice if requested, but I think the book idea will suit her - in many ways she's too similar to me in that respect.

I don't want to impose my values on her, I've never done that with anything, so won't start now, she much prefers a reasoned discussion / argument.

That's why I want to get Elements, put it on her laptop and leave her to it.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 11:12 AM

Quote: Is there any good resources to teach the basics on photography (aperture, shutter speed, even I know ISOWould be too much to start with

There is a litle program which has been featured here in the past (damned if I can find it) which gives practical demonstrations of the effect each setting has. Very good for learning the basics of exposure controls.

NikLG
NikLG  81736 forum posts England
15 Feb 2013 - 12:30 PM

Quote: There is a litle program which has been featured here in the past (damned if I can find it) which gives practical demonstrations of the effect each setting has. Very good for learning the basics of exposure controls.

Here you go..

camera simulator

It seems to have moved on a bit since I looked at it last....it's got a moving image in the 'viewfinder' window now.
And it seems that its available as an app...

Last Modified By NikLG at 15 Feb 2013 - 12:35 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
15 Feb 2013 - 1:13 PM

I think elements is great, the only reason i finally went for PS was for 16 not 8 bit processing, some of the extra brushes and liquidfy. But in fact as as a early learning photographer maybe she is better with no software at all.
Because your so far above her in photography knowledge you rightly want to give her everything at once, but she can't become you within a year.
I've give her a fixed 50mm lens and tell her to spend a week getting two good example of the extremes of depth of feild - nothing more.
I'd also tell her that there would be no image editing, external lighting for 6 months.

andart
andart  12478 forum posts United Kingdom
15 Feb 2013 - 1:32 PM

have a look at the camera simulator you can see the effect of changing aperture, shutter speed etc

oops - nikLg beat me to it........................

Last Modified By andart at 15 Feb 2013 - 1:33 PM
Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73802 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 12:42 AM

Thanks guys really helpfull Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 12:41 PM

Actually, that's not the program I was thinking about but it's still very good.

AH this is the one I saw originally.

Similar idea, but a different way of showing the effects.

Jestertheclown
16 Feb 2013 - 10:45 PM

. . . and here's yet another.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2013 - 11:00 PM

Quote: At the moment she doesn't know what she wants to take pictures of

just had 4 of those on a workshop today Nick

start by just walking them around Leeds, pointing stuff out, having a chat with them and showing them stuff - the spotting what gets their interest and guide them that way.... could you do something like that ? proper casual like - none of this waiting for ages for the right light, more instinctive - do what you can with what's there at the moment.

if nothing else, it raises questions (how do I to that?..... ) and shows them stuff they may have walked past normally.

my group will never see puddles in the same way again Wink

Nick_w
16 Feb 2013 - 11:55 PM

Cheers everyone

Great point Aid, actually been doing that today, and hadn't read your post ( tho not Leeds Wink ).

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Feb 2013 - 8:16 AM

carrot rather than stick Wink

some very cool down-spouts in Leeds, had them shooting those.... which got odd reactions from passers by Wink

Nick_w
17 Feb 2013 - 9:54 AM

I was really impressed, she has some I would be more than happy with, the compositione were really good, with no guidance at all (tho I set the aperture etc, banged it on av for her), she even borrowed mine which is a bit of a heavy brute for small hands, and her hand holding technique was excellent (bracing lens etc), no guidance, from me.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.