Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help how do I learn to manipulate in Photoshop etc?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Imagine23
Imagine23  7241 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jun 2006 - 9:13 AM

My knowledge of image manipulation is about as basic as it get - I can crop and sharpen and use the clone tool but thats about it. I just wondered if any one had any advice on the best way to go about learning? Which package is the best to use and is trial and error the way forward or perhaps I should get a book?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jun 2006 - 9:13 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 9:17 AM

A book, or techniques or trial and error, no perfect solution depends what you want to do. Most use Photoshop but there are other programmes around just depends what you want to get out of it.

zoo9753
zoo9753  8
30 Jun 2006 - 9:24 AM

Thanks Smile

deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 10:27 AM

Buy the book Photoshop Essentials or photoshop CS2 for Photographers by Martin Evening.

Randle
Randle  892 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jun 2006 - 11:19 AM

Lynn,

I buy a magazine called Digital Photo, this has about 60 minutes plus of video demonstrations on the accompanying CD, and over the months I have now learnt most of the techniques I need for Photoshop, and I can keep refering back to the technique I want to use.

deviant
30 Jun 2006 - 11:27 AM

I buy one called 'Photoshop Creative' which is pure Photoshop from cover to cover, with all tutorials and resource on a CD every month. Very nice mag indeed. best I've tried.
D

Imagine23
30 Jun 2006 - 11:28 AM

Martin Evening has been recommended to me before. I will get a copy on ebay as I had a quick look and it seems quite clear to use

deviant
30 Jun 2006 - 11:36 AM

Bought the CS version of Martin Evening a while ago and really liked it, I struggle if book is not very clearly laid out but really couldn't fault this one.
D

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 11:39 AM

You could also look at books by Katrin Eismann. If memory serves me right .... "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching" and "Photoshop Masking and Compositing". Not cheap but very good.

Imagine23
30 Jun 2006 - 11:39 AM

I've noticed you can buy a copy of photoshop on ebay for around 20, I take it these are illegal copies but I'm tempted as there is no way I can afford to buy a proper one! I've only got the photo editor programme which comes wih my canon which I think is probably lacking on features

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 11:42 AM

Start with an older version, which can be had for peanuts, and quite legally at that. Then upgrade when you need more advanced features and when you can afford it.

Conrad

Imagine23
30 Jun 2006 - 11:45 AM

Sounds like a sensible idea. I must be patient. I'm one of those people who wants to be able to do everything NOW! Thanks for all the advice everyone

Mitzi
Mitzi  81011 forum posts
30 Jun 2006 - 1:03 PM

Imagine - 20! Robbery. My computer whizz kid colleague bought a copy of CS2 for 5 at a local computer fair. I am sure it is a rip-off but the new prices for stuff like APS CS2 are frankly outrageous. I think 850? RSE 2006 was free - now owned by Adobe of course - and Picasa is free so why don't Adobe go the same route? Paying something would be acceptable, say 70, but 850 is the price of a new 30D body. Adobe could sell lots of copies at 70 and may find it was worth their while.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2006 - 1:31 PM

Adobe sell a Professional Graphics package for 70?....won't happen...but they do sell Elements which of course is their reasonably priced version, which probably has as much as most people/photographers need.

I take it that the ripped-off copies of CS2 get around the 15 day registration period?

Imagine23
30 Jun 2006 - 1:42 PM

I think so yes. They all say they are not trial periods and that the updates etc will be received as usual. I don't know how they manage to do that!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.