Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help in deciding my Camera on A Canon 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Bravdo
Bravdo  6 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 12:34 PM

I'm looking to change cameras and its all really down to budget. I currently use a canon EOS 350D. My thoughts are to the Canon 7D i have done some research on this camera and it seams a good choice, however i havent really heard any bad points about it, only what the internet reviews say.... But these are reviews from sellers and not the general public..So i guess i'm looking for a little feedback from those of you who use it. My budget says the 7D as i would also like to get a new lense, but i know the 5D MKII is a full frame. I'm a bit of an all rounder in my photos and not really specific as you can see from my gallery. Although i do take a bit more on scenery and fast moving jets. Thank you in advance for your feedback on this.

Barry

Last Modified By Bravdo at 20 Nov 2012 - 12:38 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Nov 2012 - 12:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 12:38 PM

here's what we thought Canon EOS 7D review

rambler
rambler e2 Member 6474 forum postsrambler vcard England14 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 1:32 PM

Hi Barry,
I made the exact same transition from a 350D to the 7D. I have not been disappointed or regretted the change for a moment. One of my first outings with the camera was to the annual meet at the British Wildlife Centre on what could only be described as a very dull day, the camera handled the lack of light well and you can see some of the resulting shots in my portfolio.
My experience of the camera is that it is on the heavy side but that makes it very strong, just as well as I have dropped it twice with no ill effect.
I think the shutter is a little clunky and the on off switch is easy to forget in use but this are minor niggles that do not stop the enjoyment.
I also love the range of features that I am continuing to play with after a year of owning the camera.

I purchased mine with a 15-85mm IS lens that I love, and then purchased a 70-300 DO IS second hand and have had no problems with any of the kit.

Ok it's not full frame but did I need that, no. Did I save 1000 over the price of a 5D MK2, yes. Did I have a camera with a faster focus system, yes.
Am I happy with my purchase, you bet I am.

Ken.

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 1:52 PM

Hi Barry, I would also recommend going for the 7D.

I shoot mainly landscapes and airshows and I reasoned the 7D would be better at landscapes than the 5D Mk II would be for airshows.

I have not been disappointed with the 7D. At first I thought it was 'noisier' than the Pentax K20D I had before and that might still be the case, but it is capable of excellent results in both landscape and airshow scenarios (and pretty much anything else you through at it).

Neil

stevew10000
stevew10000 e2 Member 261 forum postsstevew10000 vcard United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 - 2:52 PM

I went to the 7D from a 350D via a 40D.

Well worth it. The only irritant I have is with the pop up flash, which doesn't anymore. This seems to be a common issue, various Internet suggestions for a fix, that I am a little nervous of. Do I use pop up flash? Not often as I have a 430 flash gun, but the 7d does provide for remote firing of Canon flash guns, but need the pop up to work to do it.

cheddar-caveman
20 Nov 2012 - 2:57 PM

My path was the same, 350, 40 and now the 7D. It is a great camera and certainly does everything I need for my wildlife photography. Coupled with my 300mm f4 it goes everywhere with me. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with this choice.

gpwalton
gpwalton  1390 forum posts
20 Nov 2012 - 4:48 PM

I use my Canon 7d for sports and wildlife photography and find the speed of focusing and the availability of long lenses superb.
However, I prefer my Pentax K5 for general photgraphy, where I might encounter low light. In my experience, the Pentax K5 is less noisey than the Canon 7d.

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 - 8:43 PM

just got the 7d
gone through a 350d, to a 40d broke so traded in and got a 50d

never really happy with the 50d, Good camera but noise in shadows ++and low detail and vertical bars, common problem so limited correction if underexposed? worse than my old traded in 40d.

so dived in and got the 7d

and....
noise better +++
focus speed improved+
Focus accuracy good and possibly better
metering better
buttons feel more responsive and less accidentally pressed.

overall in a different league but only had it 1 week

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 2:02 PM

Your distant and fast moving objects would benefit from the extra reach you get with the 7D's APS-c sensor over the FF alternative.
Also the 7D is said to have super fast AF. so its seems like a good plan.
If you bought it now would you be upset if a new version was announced in 4 months and available in 6 for 30% more?

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 2:09 PM

Quote: If you bought it now would you be upset if a new version was announced in 4 months and available in 6 for 30% more?

If....

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53627 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 2:16 PM

Quote: If you bought it now would you be upset if a new version was announced in 4 months and available in 6 for 30% more?
If....

I once spent over a year waiting on an if - so yes quite true. "If" can be a very long time.

losbarbados
21 Nov 2012 - 3:01 PM

Quote:
buttons feel more responsive and less accidentally pressed.

overall in a different league but only had it 1 week

What you need to do is set it to speed burst. That tests the buffering capabilities as well.
(by the way it fills an 8gig card before it runs out of buffer! :oops: )

mikehit
mikehit  56474 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 3:30 PM

in jpeg, yes. In RAW it slows up to a crawl after 9 shots.

colin beeley
colin beeley e2 Member 111070 forum postscolin beeley vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 4:45 PM

you do see a lot of people with a 7D !

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
21 Nov 2012 - 5:29 PM

Quote: In jpeg, yes. In RAW it slows up to a crawl after 9 shots.

Post FW 2.0 update I am getting close to the indicated 25 before it slows down. Are you using cards with 60MB/s write speed or better?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.