Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help:is my computer infected or not?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    pentaxpete
    23 Oct 2008 - 7:51 PM

I have a 'Time'computer donated by my sister-in-law;it was repaired by a computer technician some years ago who put on Windows ME Edition and AVG Free(which I have updated)..I have also put on 'Spybot Search&Destroy160',SuperAntiSpy Free Edition and have Yahoo Anti-spy as well; when I check I never have a 'Virus'or have anything other than 'tracking cookies'--- well, the other day I was reading in the Yahoo Anti-spy community about what THEY use and downloaded a programme which was considered the best - a FREE check, which found these: 'Bagle PR Worm','Start Page QH Tojan',Purityscan/ClickSpring,'PurityScan' and then if I wanted to get rid of them I have to BUY the software!
    I DO have some trouble with the 'start page' as I cannot get Google or Yahoo any more as the start page, even when I put them in in the Internet Tools Options- I get a page of Microsoft advertising IE version 7 ( which it states cannot be used on Windows ME anyway!) I cannot get rid of this page--- so IS my machine infected or is the Spyware company SAYING I have these things to make me buy their software? Any comments from you experts welcomed.. Peter

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Oct 2008 - 7:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AnthonyM
    AnthonyM  9388 forum posts United States2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2008 - 8:11 PM

Generally I would be hesitant to use anything I read about on a forum without investigating further. I don't know anything about that one, so it may be safe... it may itself, be a trojan.

Assuming it is safe, uninstall the software and see if you can change your start page. They may simply be eliminating the ability to change that... although they should only be prohibiting programmatic changes, not ones you initiated through the proper tools. (can MSIE tell the difference?)

My MSIE reverts to a start page for MSIE 7 once in a while. It has also started including Microsft advertisement bars at the bottom of the page. Microsoft tools are becoming much more annoying than they ever had in the past. I believe that is normal and, in MS's mind, expected behavior. Thus I use Firefox almost exclusively.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    rikewoo
    rikewoo  11346 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2008 - 8:17 PM

Peter, Have read elsewhere that the upgrade to AVG is a con, is another company producing it is not the original AVG. It tells you, you are infected and need to buy the software. First thing I would is to uninstall the AVG upgrade if you can. It would also appear that the latest software you downloaded is of the same kind.

Uninstall them and run Norton if you have it on your computer. I have the free Lavasoft Ad-Aware which is very good.

I quite often get popups telling me to run a free scan of my PC which then tells me I am infected and of course I need to buy their software to protect my computer. I always ignore them.

After uninstalling the programs run Disk Defragmenter from Windows. Click on Start,>Programs>Accessories> System tools >disk Defragmenter. This will clean up your computer and give you a lot more spare space to use on the hard drive.

Hopefully that will help you get back your front page.

Ken

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2008 - 9:52 PM

Sounds like you may need a reformat......Then clean install your O/S, When a machine gets that much junk down it, It's nearly impossible to remove all traces ( or damage done ).....!

The cost in time & extra softwares, Is nearly always more, Than a straight reformat & re-load.........You then have a clean machine to boot ( no pun intended )

I'm suprised there are any time machines still running.....Smile

KenTaylor
    KenTaylor e2 Member 92967 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Oct 2008 - 10:16 PM

Should you do a reformat and of course have the ME disc, remember to have the security programs such as AVG on a CD and install them before you connect to the internet.
    Ignore any programs that offer a free check. CCleaner is what I use plus Eusing free registry cleaner

Quote: I'm suprised there are any time machines still running.....

Well I have a Time laptop with ME tucked away somewhere. I suspect its still working. ME isnt the best OS that windows have thrown at us.
    Ken

Imagine23
    Imagine23  7241 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Oct 2008 - 10:32 PM

If it still works ok don't worry about it Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.