Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help looking to replace lenses

16 Apr 2010 7:54AM
After a lot of deliberation, I have decided to splash the cash and treat myself. What I'm looking for is a general walkabout lens and something to complement my good old canon 50mm F1.8 and also replace the kit 18-55mm. BTW I have a Canon 350D

The Lenses I'm looking at are:
Sigma 18-200 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS or maybe 18 - 250 F3.5 - 6.3 DC OS HSM
Being a walkabout lens the image stabiliser looks a benefit

and the other purchase is
Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC

at a joint purchase price of 700 this is about my budget
All comments and alternatives gratefully received

Thanks
Chris

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
16 Apr 2010 12:34PM
Why duplicate the ranges. If you want to go for the Sigma 18-50mm why not look at the Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM which is a terrific lens and still around your 700 budget total.

The 18-200mm is a good walkabout lens but if you went for the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM , you would have image stabilisiation,macro and very slightly wider angle. Coupled with the canon above, you would have two lenses, both with image stabilisation. These two would be a little over budget (about 60) but the canon knocks the spots off the Sigma and I've used both. You would also have a continuous range from 17mm to 300mm.

If you want to see what the canon performs like look here

Malcolm
16 Apr 2010 2:43PM

Quote:Why duplicate the ranges.

The reason for duplicating would be that the lenses would be used for different reasons. At the moment I am tending to use my Canon when I am at home or going out on my own, but if I am going out with and partner and son I tend to take my Olympus 1030sw point & shoot.

The 18-50mm would be to compliment my 50mm for portrait and indoor photography. Catching the growth of my baby etc.
The 18-200mm would be used as a general lens for holidays etc. to save on changing the lens. Hopefully making my Olympus point and shoot redundant. Especially as my 350d take far superior shots ( even though it is 4mp the poorer)

Thanks

Chris
elowes e2
10 2.8k United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 4:01PM
The 18-50 has a decent F2.8 aperture but you already have the 50mm 1.8 for portraits. I would just go for one lens as a walk around and it would be neither of the Sigma long range zooms which suffer for being so long. I would go for the Canon 15-85 (which is what I will probably get for the wife's 40D). Obviously if you want a long zoom then this would not fit the bill.
lawbert e2
7 1.8k 15 England
16 Apr 2010 5:00PM
If you go the Sigma route then definitely get the 18-250 purely for the hsm motor...it does focus far much quicker than a standard focus motor and is super quiet.

At 700 you are paying to much for what your after...use this site to do your pricing up.

I shall throw a spanner in the works and suggest a Canon 24-105 f4 L is, It would seem to fit the bill for what you want and once you have this on the front of your camera you wont ever want to take it off...(and it will outlast the sigmas 10 times over and hold a higher resale price)

Its a tad over your 700 admittedly but I would certainly give it consideration
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
16 Apr 2010 5:08PM
The way to go seems to be get the best glass you can afford. You can get 2 mediocre lenses or one L lens that you will never have regrets with. Keep the 18-55mm JIC.
16 Apr 2010 5:15PM

Quote:The 18-50 has a decent F2.8 aperture but you already have the 50mm 1.8 for portraits.

I know I have the 50mm for portraits. But sometimes I'm limited for space so can't get far enough back to compose the shot properly
BigRick e2
9 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2010 7:54PM

Quote:The 18-50 has a decent F2.8 aperture but you already have the 50mm 1.8 for portraits.

I know I have the 50mm for portraits. But sometimes I'm limited for space so can't get far enough back to compose the shot properly

if you are going to use less than 50mm, then you may find that your subjects become distorted due to the wide angle you are using.
17 Apr 2010 10:56AM
now you have all thrown me a curve ball, am I right in thinking that by going for the 24-105 L IS USM I would have the same hand holding ability as having an F2.8 aperture (for my low light work)

My logic is the canon is F4 but then with IS giving a 4 stop bonus takes me to below F2.8
66tricky e2
8 742 Scotland
17 Apr 2010 11:19AM

Quote:Now you have all thrown me a curve ball, am I right in thinking that by going for the 24-105 L IS USM I would have the same hand holding ability as having an F2.8 aperture (for my low light work)

My logic is the canon is F4 but then with IS giving a 4 stop bonus takes me to below F2.8

Not really. Only if the subject is static. IS will not help freeze and create a sharper image if the subject is dynamic. It will reduce the camera shake but won't freeze the subject. In low light with non static subjects wide apertures and higher ISO (depending on noise characteristics of the camera) to push up the shutter speed is the only remedy. IS only removes one factor in blurred images ie the photographer.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
17 Apr 2010 1:51PM
For static subjects you will have an advantage with f4 +IS over f2.8 and no IS, assuming you are shooting handheld. For tripod work it doesn't really matter unless you want the shallower DoF that f2.8 can give.

For moving subjects it's a bit more complicated and depends on the speed of the subject and your position in relation to the action, e.g. at 90 degrees, 45 or whatever. IS can still help, because you are reducing camera shake, but will not help you get a higher shutter speed.

However, with DSLRs now capable of good performance at high ISO levels, this is a third parameter which has to be factored in... but is frequently forgotten. Setting a higher ISO may get you the shutter speed you need to freeze the action, if any.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
17 Apr 2010 6:04PM
The big advantage of the wider aperture is the brightness of the subject in the viewfinder. In low light it will make a big difference for manual focusing, and framing. Remember, unless you select DOF preview, you are seeing the image at the widest aperture of the lens in your viewfinder, no matter what aperture you have set on it.
Phil1958 5 272 4 Wales
18 Apr 2010 4:25PM
For a walkaround lens, I've just purchased a Canon 18-135 IS - not to long and not too short. It's on my 400D and gives me a good combination if I want to travel light - I haven't used it yet but my 12 year old daughter has and I'm very impressed with the IQ. I'll be using it when I go on holiday for less weight. I also have 2 L series lenses (24-105 & 70-200 f/4 IS on my 5D & 40D respectively) which I use for my weddings/portraits/serious stuff - both quality lenses and IQ is outstanding on both even wide open.
18 Apr 2010 8:29PM
I'm starting to sway towards the 24-105 L IS USM. I've checked the focal range of my Olympus is 28-102mm, so this will have all the range I will need for a walkaround lens, and I'll see how I go on for my portraits for now. Just got to save the rest of the pennies Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.