Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

help me

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

somnathchatterjee

i have learned through a web site some factors which can enhance the cost of a camera.as i am a lawyer and photography is not my profession but only a hobby, i like to tour and take photo mainly wildlife photos.i want to buy a camera not very expensive but a dslr.i have made search through several web sites but not enough to fit according to my need.as all of u are very much learned and experienced, i am giving u some specific requirements hereunder can u tell me the brand name and model number according to such requirements?

very much needed features are:-

MEGAPIXELS:- 8 OR ABOVE
ISO:- 100 TO 1600 OR ABOVE WITH NR
SHUTTER SPEED:- 30 TO 1/4000 OR ABOVE
DUST CONTROL FEATURE
AUTO FOCUS POINTS:- 5 OR ABOVE
CONTINUOUS SHOOTING:- 3FPS OR ABOVE WITH GOOD BUFFERING

preferable features but not necessary:-

SENSOR :- CMOS
VR OR IS:- INBUILD ON CAMERA
CROP FACTOR:- ABOVE 1.0 BECAUSE 1.0 WILL BE AN EXPENSIVE ONE

strictly not needed features:-

LIVE VIEW
MOVIE OPTION

anything outside the features given above will be considered secondary.$500 to $1200 is my range. Also your own opinion will be given high value. Please help me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Jun 2009 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 11:01 AM

Canon 40D or Nikon D90 have all your requirements, Except on-board image stabilising, If this is a must have option, You'd need to look at Sony.

That said just about any current mid range DSLR from any manafacturer will have most if not all the options you require, What suits you will be a matter of Taste & Price.

Spend less on a body, But more on a lens and you can't go wrong..

On-Board or in Lens VR or IS, Is not something I would put at the top of my options list, Use of faster lens and good/correct camera skills, Will in most cases work better....Wink

Agree with you that Movie option is hardly a consideration for buying a DSLR still image camera, If I want movies I'd buy a proper Video camera....Smile

Live view...? Maybe not a must have option, Although more and more models come with it anyhow, It can be usefull in certain circumstances, I would see it as being way more usefull than Video Mode.....Wink

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
somnathchatterjee

i think canon 40d or nikon d90 both has live view option and nikon d90 has even movie option. if i donot want both of these feature , why should i pay extra for these feature. that is way i was unable to find through the net and i want your help. can anybody plz help me?

RogBrown
RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 12:23 PM

Look at the Sony A300. May be some good deals now they've released the A 330?

camay
camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 12:37 PM

Pentax cameras have in-built stabilisation - they call is Shake Reduction. Fairly good range of lenses too. The new K7 is within your price range.

Last Modified By camay at 24 Jun 2009 - 12:40 PM
camay
camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 12:48 PM

Sorry, I meant the Km camera, the K7 has not yet been released and is over £1000.

Woofmix
Woofmix  569 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Jun 2009 - 3:55 PM

Look at the current Olympus lineup, inbuilt stabilisation, excellent lenses and great cameras i.e. E450, E650 or if you want to pay more the E30.

Paul

somnathchatterjee

sony and olympus modells have live view . as i have said i donot want to spend money for this option. can anybody plz tell me is there any camera within the range given above that does not have live view and movie mode?

strawman
strawman  1022001 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 4:39 PM

Live view and movie modes do not add to the cost of the camera for Canon or Nikon, (it does add cost to the olympus and Sony cameras where a 2nd sensor is used) so you can forget about them adding cost, rather removing those features would add to cost. Most cameras re-use chip sets designed for higher volume than the SLR market, take Canons Digic series, the compacts also use the chipset so it having video coding comes for free.

To have the video features removed would add to cost as you would need to create and design an extra chip set. The CMOS sensor allows the features needed for video as well. display, well you need a display for digital so the display is there.

So that then leaves you with the mirror and shutter assembly, and all you need for live view is the ability to keep the mirror up and the shutter open. Again a decent camera has a bulb mode and mirror lock up, so make the mirror fully powered.

So liveview it is there and for free.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
somnathchatterjee

pentax k2000 does not fulfill shutter speed requirements sorry.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139390 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 4:43 PM

Just as it is hard to find a decent mobile phone, without a camera built in, it will soon be hard to find a DSLR without live view and video functions. So you might as well accept that. Smile

As a lawyer, maybe you could afford a nice Canon 5D Mk II and a couple of lenses! Wink

strawman
strawman  1022001 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 4:44 PM

Oh and if wildlife is your bag you will be looking at longer lenses so can I also advise you to look at in-lens IS, not in-camera (unless you use live view Wink ).

The reason is the stabilised lens also stabilises the image to the AF points and the viewfinder and on a long lens that can be big advantage. With a long lens the ability to keep the AF point steady on subject can be very important.

somnathchatterjee

but strawman i think nikon and canon cameras does not have any inbuild VR OR IS system. can u tell me how much it is necessary to have VR OR IS system or does it have any real need?

somnathchatterjee

carabosse it looks like very much expensive and i donot want to spend that money only for my hobby.

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
24 Jun 2009 - 5:10 PM

It seems to me that you are letting your very rigid specification drive your deision, especially when you dismiss cameras that give you things you don't envisage using.

In reality the chances of finding a camera that matches your specification precisely are slim to non-existence. Even if you do find one you may pick it up and find you don't like the feel of it in your hand,

My advice is go to a proper camera shop and talk to staff who know about the products they sell and let them help you to make the right decision.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.