Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help me please!!!!!!

imander 7 388 7 United Kingdom
26 May 2008 3:37PM
Good afternoon all.

Well its me birthday in a couple of weeks and i'm being given 500 to spend on a camera.

For the past year and a bit I have been using a Panasonic Lumix fz5 (5million pix fixed lense)

I would like to upgrade to my first proper slr.

I know that when talking about SLR's that 500 may not seem much to some but it will be a big upgrade for me and I want one that I can learn all the basics of using a slr.

Could anyone recommend a make and supplier. I have looked at so many and at the moment I am drawn towards the Nikon d60

Cheers Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NickParry 9 1.0k 79 Wales
26 May 2008 3:48PM
I would go for this with the money : Canon 450D

Nick

PS Agree with Chris above.
GaZn 8 175 Wales
26 May 2008 3:50PM
As said above, the entry cameras are much the same really especially between Canon and Nikon. If you are not tied to any make (because you've not already spent hundreds on Len's) then go to a shop and have a play to see which you prefer the usability of. then go online and search around for the one you liked most!

GaZ
26 May 2008 3:54PM
cheers folks that all sounds like sound advice, i'm off to town tommoz and we have a jessops and a couple of other shops, so i will have a play......I have looked at the Olympus twin lense kit but was unsure as the main makes you here about are the Nikon and Cannon
ian
steve_p 9 1.1k England
26 May 2008 3:54PM
I agree with Chris, try them all see which you are comforable with.
At the entry level most people would agree there is no such thing as a"poor" camera.
If you get bitten by the SLR bug and decide to upgrade later to a more advanced camera then you have to consider the availability of lenses and accessories.
The two "Big Guns" Canon & Nikon have a bigger range than Pentax, Sony Olympus etc as faras lenses go.
Steve
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 May 2008 4:02PM

Quote:Paul Morgan will be along shortly to suggest you consider the Olympus SLRs which are very good value and very capable cameras

Smile Smile

As above,try them all and see what you like best.

All entry level dslr`s are very capable.

Some of the best buys will always be the 4/3 twin lens kits such as the 510/410/420 or the Pany bellow now its dropped in price, the kit lens makes the offer very good and is part of the 4/3 system.

here
ZakBlack 7 105 14 England
26 May 2008 4:07PM
If you can't see yourself spending a fortune on lenses then I would look at something with image stabilisation built in like Sony or Pentax. The Sony 350 is about your price range and all the mags are featuring it at the moment, pitting it against the Nikon and Canon entrys its coming out on top. Buy a mag and see how it feels in the shop, i don't think any will dissapoint but the Sony has a lot of useful features.... and no i don't have a Sony i'm a defeated canonite! :]
26 May 2008 4:22PM
Thankyou all for the advice....off to shops in morning so will let you know how i get on.....I think i will start by looking at nikon d60,olympus twin kit ,panasonic l10 and the sony 350......Is Jessops a good place to start or a smaller family run shop better???
ian
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 May 2008 4:25PM
Hi Ian,

On the Canon front the 40D at it's current cash back price is a real bargain, And a more robust camera than the more basic offerings....!

Having said that if your taken by the Nikon D60, My guess is that you'll love it.....!

Probably a good idea to go try a few, And see what feels the best to you in physical terms.....As for image taking all the current brand models produce good quality images, So there is not a great deal between them........!

Happy hunting.......Smile

Quote:Is Jessops a good place

Ha ha....Some people hate them....Some luv-em......Smile

You can get a reasonable deal from Jessops, Especially if they are still price matching......But barter with the blighters, Whatever they offer....Smile Try and get a 4Gb memory card out of them at least......!
KBan 9 468 4 England
26 May 2008 4:25PM
just a mention, the D60 has no facility for a wired remote

keith
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
26 May 2008 4:27PM
Ian, I'd look in the shops, then come home and see what the cheapest deal is online. In which case, find the shop with the biggest range of stock so you can try them all out Smile (btw, did you fall out with canon already over the 450D? Wink )
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
26 May 2008 4:30PM
I just bought a Sony A300 & am delighted with it. Jessops doing the camera + 18-70 + 55-200 + free rucksack type case for 525. If you don't need 14.2mp, no point spending extra on the A350. See the robin shot in my pf for lens quality. Also the IS works a treat.
Rog
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 May 2008 4:31PM

Quote:D60 has no facility for a wired remote

Now that is naughty of Nikon.....What a bunch of cheap-skates...Sad

Good point though.....!

Which brings me back to the Canon 40D........It's got almost everything and a semi pro build to boot.....Smile
miptog 9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
26 May 2008 4:43PM
A tip: Take a SD card with you, as most of the cameras you try will take SD. Put it in each camera you try, bring it home and see what the images look like on screen. Just make sure you have similar settings for each camera you shoot with.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
26 May 2008 4:46PM
As people have said, most entry level cameras are much of a muchness and you won't go far wrong with any of the main makes.
However, do look at the rest of the range from that manufacturer. It may seem pointless looking at 2000 camera bodies and mega long lenses but you never know where your interest in photography will take you.
When you're buying an SLR you are buying into a system and as soon as you have 2 or 3 lenses and a flashgun (which will happen fairly quicky), you are pretty well locked into that system and changing is a major decision, not to mention financial nightmare. Therefore it is important to check that the system has enough compatible lenses etc... for your photography to grow.

Canon and Nikon are the most dominant and have the biggest systems. I have used Nikon in the past and currently use Canon so I may be a little biased when I say that IMO they are the ones to go for, and these days they don't cost any more than other makes.
Some of the new olympus models do look pretty nice and I have had a play with a couple owned by friends but then I ask myself 'would I swap my canons for one of these' and always come up with the same answer.. ' not in a million years'.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.