Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help me win a trip to Arctic Norway please! Just click a link : )

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ch9sab
ch9sab  2 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: No chance. If you can't win fairly, then you really didn't ought to be entering.

wtf? are you serious? so the best photo always wins, even in competitions where it's almost solely based on promotion? you probably didn't even look at the photos anyway tbh.

keithh seems to be speaking sense. Smile

thanks to anyone who voted.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 9:04 PM

I'm absolutely serious.

Why would I look at photographs, which are not on this site, and upon which I have no intention of voting?

Keith makes perfect sense but if you read what he wrote, he's saying that everyone will be trying to rack up votes unfairly. Like you're doing.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 28 Jun 2012 - 9:04 PM
779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Jun 2012 - 9:12 PM

Quote: Keith makes perfect sense but if you read what he wrote, he's saying that everyone will be trying to rack up votes unfairly. Like you're doing.

To be fair it's not unfairly getting votes - that's how these competitions work - they do it like this so people enter and then ask people to vote, thereby driving people to their site who wouldn't normally go. There's nothing really wrong with it and often there are some very good photos entered.

Quote: Why would I look at photographs, which are not on this site, and upon which I have no intention of voting?

Because I am guessing you like photographs and hopefully aren't limited to just looking at photographs on this site. If you look at the photos on the competition site you might want to vote for some because they are good.

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 9:24 PM

I do like looking at photographs and of course, I'm not restricted to just the ones on this site. In fact I also regularly visit several others.
I won't look at any of these photographs though, because I'm being asked to do so because someone (not I) has an ulterior motive. I wouldn't vote on any photographs by anyone in any competition of this sort. The fact that it happens all the time and as Keith has quite rightly pointed out, they're all at it, doesn't make it fair.
Had you considered why people complain about the 'click cliques' on here? They only misuse the voting system for self-gratification as opposed to winning a prize but the system and the theory used is the same.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 9:29 PM

The OP was fair in his initial post, even saying you could enter yourself or vote for others (providing the link to the main page), I really dont see the issue. Vote for the ones you like, simple. If you dont like any, you dont have to vote, it doesnt cost anything and no one dies.

Some fabulous images on there by the way, i'm working my way through.

779HOB
28 Jun 2012 - 9:30 PM

Quote: they're all at it, doesn't make it fair.

Its fair because that's how the competition works - no-one entering one of those competitions thinks they are going to get to the next round without asking for votes. It's very different to click buddies on here.

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Its fair because that's how the competition works

If we all entered an image and a judge, or judges, selected one that they considered to be the best, for whatever reasons, that would be fair.
If we all entered an image and they were all voted upon blindly by the entire population, the one with the largest number of votes, being the winner, that would be fair.
Entering an image, then begging all your mates to vote for it, the result being that the (so-called) winner is the one with the most mates, that's not fair. (And it is how the cliques work.)
The fact that the system is in widespread use, doesn't make it fair. It just makes it acceptable to some and not so to others.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2012 - 9:49 PM

Judges opinions have been known to be called into question too.

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 9:52 PM

Quote: Judges opinions have been known to be called into question too.

True and probably frequently, although I did say 'for whatever reason,' the implication being that we'd accept their decision.

The blind judging scenario was probably a more accurate one.

779HOB
28 Jun 2012 - 9:54 PM

Who is it unfair on? Everyone who has entered the competition knows the rules. Anyhow, doesn't really matter, neither you nor I are voting but for different reasons.

ch9sab
ch9sab  2 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2012 - 10:16 PM

Quote: The OP was fair in his initial post, even saying you could enter yourself or vote for others (providing the link to the main page), I really dont see the issue. Vote for the ones you like, simple. If you dont like any, you dont have to vote, it doesnt cost anything and no one dies.

Some fabulous images on there by the way, i'm working my way through.

thank you!

as focused points out, everyone knows the rules when they enter. i enter LPOTY as well and don't have to ask for votes on that because it's not how the competition works. the aim of this competition is to get votes, so you go out and get as many votes as possible. there's still a judging round at the end too, which picks the best photo from the 10 with the highest votes. i really don't understand why you (Jester) have such a problem with it.

haters gon' hate!

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2012 - 10:41 PM

I've said my piece.

MrGoatsmilk
29 Jun 2012 - 8:33 AM

I've just voted my fave is Jokulsarlon, Iceland photo

Good luck

Stu

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 4:12 PM

Well done, Simon (ch9sab), for winning this competition. Well deserved.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Aug 2012 - 6:32 PM

Wonder if he'll come back and thanks those who helped him win Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.