Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help monitor infested "what can I do"?

21 Jul 2013 11:44PM
About three days ago a small creature started crawling accross the monitor then another and another .The bad news is that it was inside the screen .They then died and have stuck to the screen .Since then there are about fifteen of them .
This has ruined my screen .
Can anyone help I am told they are THUNDERFLIES!.
I tried opening the screen but I cannot get in as it is scealed .
Any help would be appreciated as the monitor is expensive and I dont think I am covered as it still works fine

dsc-0059.jpg

Please Help

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

22 Jul 2013 12:16AM
They are loose pixels I suspectSmile Sorry, could not resist the temptation...Blush
On a serious note- take it to service, as the monitor must be reasonably protected from such an "invasion" by design and you are not able to clean under the display cover glass.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
22 Jul 2013 6:04AM
Welcome to the world of rural and semi suburban hell that is 'Thunder Flies'. I don't have an answer but I do feel for you as I have had numerous and chased them off my inside screen regularly. I had two persistent little b*stards last year that eventually died off-screen (don't try to press the screen to squash hem, lol) ... This year on sight of the first one i will seal my monitor in a bag and wait till they go ... They get everywhere, but I am disappointed the screens aren't adequately sealed. Having OCD it drives me to distraction. I must say though that your marks are very different to mine. My dead thunder flies leave a body similar in size to a couple of dead pixels and black, so you may have other issues here.
nsutcliffe 8 88 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 7:52AM
Ha! I am reading this forum with a couple of dead ones inside my laptop screen. They got in there last Friday. Horrible things. I daren't take my e-reader outside to sit in the garden and read. (Didn't have that problem with old fashioned books!)
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 8:03AM
We usually get loads, but hardly any so far this year. (They're actually called "thrips", btw Smile)

No idea what you can do about them in the monitor. The only monitors I ever had them in were work ones, which all got replaced eventually.
22 Jul 2013 9:53AM
Its pixel creep-y crawlies Wink
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2013 3:17PM
And now, I have 3 of the little buggers crawling inside mine... Gah! Must have jinxed me..,
Gundog e2
1 624 Scotland
22 Jul 2013 3:55PM

Quote:Ha! I am reading this forum with a couple of dead ones inside my laptop screen. They got in there last Friday. Horrible things. I daren't take my e-reader outside to sit in the garden and read. (Didn't have that problem with old fashioned books!)

Never heard of booklice?

Seriously though - although it won't get the existing ones out of your monitor, pop down to Lidl and buy a dog flea collar and fasten it round the support column of your screen.

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
22 Jul 2013 5:10PM
Thanks for that idea gundog. Never had any in my iPad .. Maybe they don't like apple or maybe apple just seal their screens better.
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
22 Jul 2013 6:23PM
I had one creep into my at the time very expensive dell laptop
I contacted service and they replaced the screen.
If you get hassle with yours do as I did just keep telling them that the screen should be sealed...it worked for me
Cephus e2
10 2.2k England
22 Jul 2013 7:33PM

Quote:About three days ago a small creature started crawling accross the monitor then another and another .The bad news is that it was inside the screen .They then died and have stuck to the screen .Since then there are about fifteen of them .
This has ruined my screen .
Can anyone help I am told they are THUNDERFLIES!.
I tried opening the screen but I cannot get in as it is scealed .
Any help would be appreciated as the monitor is expensive and I dont think I am covered as it still works fine

Please Help

Join up the dots and see what you get. Tongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Jul 2013 9:14PM
At night don`t let your monitor be the major light source in the room.

I`ve had loads of these little insects, I picked up a few electrical insect killers (I have no idea what there called) the bugs are attracted to a bright neon blue tube and they get zapped Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Jul 2013 9:21PM
Get some of these Smile
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
22 Jul 2013 9:21PM
Paul! !

I'm disgusted; there are other ways of dealing with bugs without zapping them. Can't you just pepper spray them or issue muzzles.

Wink
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Jul 2013 9:23PM
Yeh its nearly as bad as using fly paper Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.