Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help monitor infested "what can I do"?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brianfrance1
21 Jul 2013 - 11:44 PM

About three days ago a small creature started crawling accross the monitor then another and another .The bad news is that it was inside the screen .They then died and have stuck to the screen .Since then there are about fifteen of them .
This has ruined my screen .
Can anyone help I am told they are THUNDERFLIES!.
I tried opening the screen but I cannot get in as it is scealed .
Any help would be appreciated as the monitor is expensive and I dont think I am covered as it still works fine

dsc-0059.jpg image
Please Help

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jul 2013 - 11:44 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
22 Jul 2013 - 12:16 AM

They are loose pixels I suspectSmile Sorry, could not resist the temptation...Blush
On a serious note- take it to service, as the monitor must be reasonably protected from such an "invasion" by design and you are not able to clean under the display cover glass.

monstersnowman
22 Jul 2013 - 6:04 AM

Welcome to the world of rural and semi suburban hell that is 'Thunder Flies'. I don't have an answer but I do feel for you as I have had numerous and chased them off my inside screen regularly. I had two persistent little b*stards last year that eventually died off-screen (don't try to press the screen to squash hem, lol) ... This year on sight of the first one i will seal my monitor in a bag and wait till they go ... They get everywhere, but I am disappointed the screens aren't adequately sealed. Having OCD it drives me to distraction. I must say though that your marks are very different to mine. My dead thunder flies leave a body similar in size to a couple of dead pixels and black, so you may have other issues here.

nsutcliffe
22 Jul 2013 - 7:52 AM

Ha! I am reading this forum with a couple of dead ones inside my laptop screen. They got in there last Friday. Horrible things. I daren't take my e-reader outside to sit in the garden and read. (Didn't have that problem with old fashioned books!)

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
22 Jul 2013 - 8:03 AM

We usually get loads, but hardly any so far this year. (They're actually called "thrips", btw Smile)

No idea what you can do about them in the monitor. The only monitors I ever had them in were work ones, which all got replaced eventually.

Umberto_Vanni
Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9348 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
22 Jul 2013 - 9:53 AM

Its pixel creep-y crawlies Wink

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
22 Jul 2013 - 3:17 PM

And now, I have 3 of the little buggers crawling inside mine... Gah! Must have jinxed me..,

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Jul 2013 - 3:55 PM

Quote: Ha! I am reading this forum with a couple of dead ones inside my laptop screen. They got in there last Friday. Horrible things. I daren't take my e-reader outside to sit in the garden and read. (Didn't have that problem with old fashioned books!)

Never heard of booklice?

Seriously though - although it won't get the existing ones out of your monitor, pop down to Lidl and buy a dog flea collar and fasten it round the support column of your screen.

Last Modified By Gundog at 22 Jul 2013 - 3:59 PM
monstersnowman
22 Jul 2013 - 5:10 PM

Thanks for that idea gundog. Never had any in my iPad .. Maybe they don't like apple or maybe apple just seal their screens better.

lawbert
lawbert  71686 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 6:23 PM

I had one creep into my at the time very expensive dell laptop
I contacted service and they replaced the screen.
If you get hassle with yours do as I did just keep telling them that the screen should be sealed...it worked for me

Cephus
Cephus  92123 forum posts England
22 Jul 2013 - 7:33 PM

Quote: About three days ago a small creature started crawling accross the monitor then another and another .The bad news is that it was inside the screen .They then died and have stuck to the screen .Since then there are about fifteen of them .
This has ruined my screen .
Can anyone help I am told they are THUNDERFLIES!.
I tried opening the screen but I cannot get in as it is scealed .
Any help would be appreciated as the monitor is expensive and I dont think I am covered as it still works fine

Please Help

Join up the dots and see what you get. Tongue

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 9:14 PM

At night don`t let your monitor be the major light source in the room.

I`ve had loads of these little insects, I picked up a few electrical insect killers (I have no idea what there called) the bugs are attracted to a bright neon blue tube and they get zapped Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314927 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 9:21 PM

Get some of these Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 22 Jul 2013 - 9:25 PM
keithh
keithh  1022789 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2013 - 9:21 PM

Paul! !

I'm disgusted; there are other ways of dealing with bugs without zapping them. Can't you just pepper spray them or issue muzzles.

Wink

Paul Morgan
22 Jul 2013 - 9:23 PM

Yeh its nearly as bad as using fly paper Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.