Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HELP My Mac won't shut down

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Squirrel
Squirrel  7376 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2010 - 1:14 AM

Been trying to shut my Mac down. We are having some work done tomorrow and the power is going to be off.
Click Apple/shut down and nothing happens. Normally a box comes up saying that it will shut down in 2 minutes Tried to log off but it won't do that either.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Mar 2010 - 1:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

benmoulam
benmoulam  4 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2010 - 1:43 AM

I don't have a Mac but if my PC laptops refuse to shut down I can just hold down the power button (5-10 seconds usually enough) and it will shut everything off. Maybe try that

Squirrel
29 Mar 2010 - 2:04 AM

Tried to do restart but it won't do it. Can't get the info up about the Mac Apple /About this Mac nothing comes up. This is the first time I've had this happen with the Mac. Did restart yesterday when I loaded the softwear for my new camera and it was fine.

ellis rowell
29 Mar 2010 - 7:09 AM

Have you tried the death switch?

You know, the one on the wall. It's usually down for ON and up for OFF.

Last Modified By ellis rowell at 29 Mar 2010 - 7:10 AM
jennialexander
jennialexander e2 Member 945 forum postsjennialexander vcard United Kingdom
29 Mar 2010 - 7:39 AM

I had this problem not long ago when a Disc wouldn't eject. Couldn't shut it down, turn it on.

What you have to do is first unplug the computer from the power supply. Then switch on power supply. Turn on computer power button whilst holding down the mouse button (this may take a little while) Don't let go of the mouse button. Eventually the apple log should appear and it will power up again. these instructions are in the little book that comes with your mac. Under trouble shooting. what it forgets to say is turn the power off first.
Hope this helps
Jenni

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
mad-dogs
mad-dogs  122201 forum posts England
29 Mar 2010 - 9:02 AM

Hold the power button in - it should shut down.

MOONFAIRY
MOONFAIRY  4
29 Mar 2010 - 9:10 AM

I guys i have a Mac love my machine my husband and i have one each, we brought them for our photography, mine has screen bleed a strange mark on the inside, but it doe's not really bother me that much, have to get it sorted had it less than a year, i would not have any other make, the keyboard feels so great so use, we should all have mac's lol .

magnus
magnus  9661 forum posts United Arab Emirates5 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2010 - 9:24 AM

Quote: we should all have mac's lol .

Oh dear......

Jestertheclown
29 Mar 2010 - 10:18 AM

Quote: we should all have mac's lol .

. . . particularly ones that break in less than a year!

jken
jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Mar 2010 - 1:04 PM

Sounds like a spotlight error to me, once had this. If you can go into your system preferences, click the Spotlight icon and make sure everything's turned off or un-clicked.

When your systems been in sleep mode Spotlight takes the opportunity to reference all those clicked items and build it's search database within your system.

Personally i don't like that, you can find what your looking for on the system pretty well by clicking your apple key and hitting the  + F key

Hope this helps

jk

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
nishad1994
29 Mar 2010 - 2:08 PM

Quote: I don't have a Mac but if my PC laptops refuse to shut down I can just hold down the power button (5-10 seconds usually enough) and it will shut everything off. Maybe try that

Exactly, I do the same with my Toshiba !! Smile Works for me ... Smile

Nishad

Jestertheclown
29 Mar 2010 - 2:27 PM

Quote: I don't have a Mac but if my PC laptops refuse to shut down I can just hold down the power button (5-10 seconds usually enough) and it will shut everything off.

I don't have a Mac either but I wouldn't recommend shutting anything down with the power button or the off switch at the wall unless you really have to.
When a PC is shut down and appears to keep going, it's actually still writing files, ie. finishing off whatever it's been doing. By switching it off it's possible to lose or damage files that you might want.
Obviously, if it keeps running for a silly amount of time, then something's not right in which case the off switch probably is the answer but I'd wait for several minutes to see what it did on its own first.
Jester.

nishad1994
29 Mar 2010 - 6:39 PM

Quote: I don't have a Mac either but I wouldn't recommend shutting anything down with the power button or the off switch at the wall unless you really have to.
When a PC is shut down and appears to keep going, it's actually still writing files, ie. finishing off whatever it's been doing. By switching it off it's possible to lose or damage files that you might want.

Exactly as my dad tells me Wink !! Technically its correct, but as you said, if it takes a silly amount of time to shut down then I feel this is the only option out !! Smile

Nishad

ellis rowell
29 Mar 2010 - 7:36 PM

My PC starts up in 35seconds and shuts down in 11seconds, but then it's not Windows.

Squirrel
29 Mar 2010 - 8:38 PM

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The mac went to sleep, so after a while i woke it up and did a bit with photoshop all ok.

Tried again to shut it down- apple/shut down- waited for 20 minutes while it did nothing. I think that was ample time for it to shut down. So I hit the on off button. All seems to be working fine now.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.