Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help needed

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ammo
    ammo  7
    14 Jul 2007 - 11:04 AM

I bought an adaptor so i could use my 400 lens which has a m42 screw on my Canon D60, but when i take a pic the display says Err 01 (clean the lens contacts) and no pic is recorded. I have tried the camera on all settings inc manual, any ideas
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Jul 2007 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108575 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Jul 2007 - 12:48 PM

Is there anything in the settings Menu, To allow the use of None cpu lens ?

Smile

ammo
    ammo  7
    14 Jul 2007 - 1:15 PM

I have had a look and cant find anything, tried just about everything but still no joy.
    Steve.

STUARTHILL758
    14 Jul 2007 - 1:23 PM

im sure that you have to set to stop-down mode

keith selmes
    14 Jul 2007 - 2:29 PM

Something wrong with the adapter I think, or maybe not seated properly.
    Mine won't give any error message just using an adapter, not in any mode.
    Put extension tube between the adapter and the camera, and the err o1 comes up. Switching off and on clears it. However, I don't know why.
    With a completely manual extension tube, no electrical contacts, there's no error message.

chris.maddock
    14 Jul 2007 - 2:50 PM

The problem here, in both ammo's and keith's case, is that the camera has a microswitch that tells it is a lens is fitted. If that is tripped, the camera will attempt to communicate with the lens - and will, of course, fail if an EF lens isn't present. Fitting an EF teleconverter but no lens will give the same result, hence Keith's findings.

On the D30 and, I think, the D60 the microswitch is visible behind the front plate of the lens mount, just above the 9 o'clock position looking at the front of the camera. It is pushed clockwise by one lug of the mount on the lens. You can check this by pushing the switch gently with something llike a cocktail stick.
    Some adapters have the mounting lug in that corresponding position the same length as on an EF lens, so it trips the microswitch. A little judicial adjustment with a file (on the adapter not the camera, LOL) will resolve it.

I don't know where the switch is on the 5D, it's not visible anywhere. I suspect it might be hidden behind one of the leaf springs within the mount. As my adapter behaves itself perfectly I've never had cause to investigate the 5D too closely.

KRs
    Chris

keith selmes
    14 Jul 2007 - 3:03 PM

5D with a jessops ext tube works fine.
    With a Canon ext tube it give the error.

ammo
    ammo  7
    15 Jul 2007 - 10:33 PM

Thank you all for your help, i have found the microswitch as suggested by chris.maddock the next challenge is how to modify the adaptor!
    Steve.

chris.maddock
    15 Jul 2007 - 11:00 PM

Glad it's helped. I can't give any definite advice on exactly how much nor where to trim the adaptor since my own one doesn't cause the problem. I only came across it when trying to help someone on another forum several years ago. Because my adaptor didn't but his did give the error we were intrigued enough to have a good look to identify the reason.
    I'm pretty sure he used a file to trim a small amount off the offending lug, he certainly didn't say that he'd done otherwise but he did report that he'd got it working.

Krs
    Chris

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.