Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help needed identifying flag

saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
2 Jun 2012 8:18AM
A friend on another forum found this flag amongst many other recognisable ones in his late grandfathers garage. The others were mostly nautical signalling flags and various ensigns as the grandfather was sea-going most of his life.
It's the second from the right and looks like the dome of St. Pauls in a white-coloured crown.
All internett searches, including image recognition, have turned up blank.
Any ideas?
img00335-20120601-1623.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
2 Jun 2012 9:21AM
Possibly a silly question but, it's not the Vatican City flag is it?
KingBee e2
8 333 2 Scotland
2 Jun 2012 9:36AM
It's definitely not the Vatican City. I've done a 'flags of the world' search and can't see anything that remotely resembles this. Not much help, I'm afraid!

Regards.

Bob
dcash29 9 1.9k England
2 Jun 2012 9:40AM
Do you know the ships he was on? Is it specific to one ship?
oldblokeh 3 845 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 10:22AM
It was the 300th anniversary of St Paul's cathedral last year, so the 250th in 1961. Perhaps it was a commemorative flag from that event, maybe flown on a visiting ship.
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
2 Jun 2012 10:24AM

Quote:Do you know the ships he was on? Is it specific to one ship?

Unfortunately, no we don't know. He was also active in the yachting world, so are wondering if it some kind of club flag?
lobsterboy e2
10 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 10:40AM
I am sure I have seen it flying in the city of London, but cant find anything on it...perhaps I dreamt it.
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Jun 2012 10:54AM
I think it is no more than just a "tourist" type flag that you see everywhere or perhaps a logo of a Company than does guided tours etc.
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
2 Jun 2012 11:05AM

Quote:I think it is no more than just a "tourist" type flag that you see everywhere or perhaps a logo of a Company than does guided tours etc.

I think if it was 'commercial' then the company name would be included, even if only in small print discreetly somewhere.
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 12:52PM
Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english regisyered ship
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 1:07PM

Quote:Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english registered ship
2 Jun 2012 2:02PM
Try emailing this site Here
They have a huge selection of civilian and armed services, colonial, historical to name but a few, they might be able to help you.
Good Luck with your search
phil1963 e2
2 265 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 2:21PM
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
2 Jun 2012 3:12PM

Quote:Try emailing this site Here
They have a huge selection of civilian and armed services, colonial, historical to name but a few, they might be able to help you.
Good Luck with your search

Quote:Or have a look on here

http://www.flagid.org/?p=Combined%20Identification

Many thanks for those two options...have forwarded them to Jack.

Malc
saltireblue e2
4 4.1k 26 Norway
2 Jun 2012 3:14PM

Quote:Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english regisyered ship

A very large haystack and a very minute needle!Grin Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let Jack know...I'm not chugging through that many pagesSmile

Malc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.