Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help needed identifying flag

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 8:18 AM

A friend on another forum found this flag amongst many other recognisable ones in his late grandfathers garage. The others were mostly nautical signalling flags and various ensigns as the grandfather was sea-going most of his life.
It's the second from the right and looks like the dome of St. Pauls in a white-coloured crown.
All internett searches, including image recognition, have turned up blank.
Any ideas?
img00335-20120601-1623.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jun 2012 - 8:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 9:21 AM

Possibly a silly question but, it's not the Vatican City flag is it?

KingBee
KingBee e2 Member 8327 forum postsKingBee vcard Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 9:36 AM

It's definitely not the Vatican City. I've done a 'flags of the world' search and can't see anything that remotely resembles this. Not much help, I'm afraid!

Regards.

Bob

dcash29
dcash29  81887 forum posts England
2 Jun 2012 - 9:40 AM

Do you know the ships he was on? Is it specific to one ship?

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3762 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 - 10:22 AM

It was the 300th anniversary of St Paul's cathedral last year, so the 250th in 1961. Perhaps it was a commemorative flag from that event, maybe flown on a visiting ship.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43557 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 10:24 AM

Quote: Do you know the ships he was on? Is it specific to one ship?

Unfortunately, no we don't know. He was also active in the yachting world, so are wondering if it some kind of club flag?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 10:40 AM

I am sure I have seen it flying in the city of London, but cant find anything on it...perhaps I dreamt it.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think it is no more than just a "tourist" type flag that you see everywhere or perhaps a logo of a Company than does guided tours etc.

saltireblue
2 Jun 2012 - 11:05 AM

Quote: I think it is no more than just a "tourist" type flag that you see everywhere or perhaps a logo of a Company than does guided tours etc.

I think if it was 'commercial' then the company name would be included, even if only in small print discreetly somewhere.

Last Modified By saltireblue at 2 Jun 2012 - 11:05 AM
KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 12:52 PM

Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english regisyered ship

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Jun 2012 - 1:06 PM
KevSB
KevSB  101403 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jun 2012 - 1:07 PM

Quote: Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english registered ship

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
2 Jun 2012 - 2:02 PM

Try emailing this site Here
They have a huge selection of civilian and armed services, colonial, historical to name but a few, they might be able to help you.
Good Luck with your search

phil1963
phil1963 e2 Member 2264 forum postsphil1963 vcard United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 - 2:21 PM

or have a look on here

http://www.flagid.org/?p=Combined%20Identification

saltireblue
2 Jun 2012 - 3:12 PM

Quote: Try emailing this site Here
They have a huge selection of civilian and armed services, colonial, historical to name but a few, they might be able to help you.
Good Luck with your search

Quote: Or have a look on here

http://www.flagid.org/?p=Combined%20Identification

Many thanks for those two options...have forwarded them to Jack.

Malc

saltireblue
2 Jun 2012 - 3:14 PM

Quote: Not all commercial shipping lines have the company names or initials on thier flags, I spent ages myself going through the net and am convinced thats eactly what it is, but trying to find this one with no history amogst the thousends i found is the needle in the haystack problem

My guess would be its a london based company if that is st pauls and he was on a english regisyered ship

A very large haystack and a very minute needle!Grin Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let Jack know...I'm not chugging through that many pagesSmile

Malc

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.