Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help needed on price""

newy17 8 273 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 12:11PM
Hi Guys,
A local web development company has just mailed me, this is there msg,
Hello Ian,

We really like the image named in the subject (20081018_0200And7more) and would like to use it on a website we are developing at the moment.

Would you be willing to allow us to use the image and acredit you with the picture or alternatively do you have a price for us to purchase the image solely for web use?

Regards,

Now ive just had a look at this company and they are a large company based in liverpool,
So what i'm asking is what sort of price should i say for solely web use,

Thanks in advance for any idea's .

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Nov 2009 12:17PM
Sorry Guys i forgot to mention that they are developing a site for a client,
The image is one of my Gormley images and it is to be used on the clients website,
bangalicious 7 1.3k 5 England
19 Nov 2009 12:22PM
Weigh up your options. Will the image be viewed by a large audience? Maybe just a credit will suffice, with the gamble that people will see the image and link back to you. Sort of like a marketing tool.
However, if it will only be viewed as 'an image on the website' then maybe a pricing strategy will need to be thought of? Think of how much you think it is worth going by the time taken to compose the image, 'develop' the image etc.
Anil.
thewilliam 6 4.8k
19 Nov 2009 12:22PM
Go to the NUJ site and download their standard charge info.
19 Nov 2009 12:26PM
Thanks Anil i was thinking of just been credited with the image as i'm also thinking of having my own website,therefore linking it back to my site might be better,
19 Nov 2009 12:28PM
Thanks William i will a look at there site and get an idea on pricing cheers,
richardwheel 9 217 2 England
19 Nov 2009 12:32PM
Are they wanting exclusive rights to the image or not?

If not, web use I'd be asking around the 50 mark per year with credit if possible....only my 2p's worth - I'm sure someone else will be along shortly with a different figure!

HTH
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 12:34PM
50 a year for non-exclusive sounds about right.
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 12:34PM

Quote:Go to the NUJ site and download their standard charge info.

Then when you have finished laughing..... Grin

Web use is worth virtually nil in cash terms. So many of the images are available for free (at the sort of size they are thinking of) that stock values have plummeted.

In reality.. you are probably looking at 10 or 15 quid if you are lucky so you'd probably be far better off opting for the credit of your choosing (important) and a link back (the last may well be an issue if you don't have a website though Grin)
19 Nov 2009 12:40PM
Thanks guys so no need to order a new camera just yet then lol,
Barrie yes i did laugh at the price guide on Nuj site...
19 Nov 2009 12:44PM
Richard,
I will asked them if they want exclusive rights Smile
User_Removed 12 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 12:44PM
To be fair, it is only a guide and for some things (rates for some kinds of commercial work).. it's pretty good.

Once again though, it has to be said that it's the "15 minutes of fame/ Flickr / love to see my name in print" brigade that has damaged the stock market as a whole and rates in particular.
19 Nov 2009 12:52PM
LOL Barrie they did come across my image on Flickr,
But Ive had images stolen from flickr so its nice to see someone asking for permission Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.