Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help needed-Photographing a set of carvings on a wall

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maroondah
    maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 4:22 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been asked to photograph a set of carvings (approx size 40 inches tall, 16 inches wide and about 20 inches deep). The carvings are attached to a building 20 feet up and can't be removed. My task is to photograph them for later conversion to 3D by someone else. Each carving needs at least 8 images but I can't get into a position (even with a cherry picker) to cover the required angles. I have been unable to find anything on the internet which may help so I am hoping an ephotozine member might just have an idea that will work. Any ideas welcome

Many Thanks
    Gerry

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jan 2013 - 4:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett
    ikett  3339 forum posts England
    15 Jan 2013 - 4:43 PM

I had a similar job some time back, I used a telephoto lens from a distance, which reduced the distortion, depends on the location though.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72193 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 4:48 PM

How about a scaffolding construction built to your spec?

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 6:41 PM

Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?

lawbert
    lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 6:55 PM

Quote: Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?

If it cant be done by Cherry Picker then I fail to see how this would work on any levelTongueWink

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41195 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:05 PM

Is there a window opposite? Or nearly? They must be in a real tricky position if you can't get a cherry picker or even a pole? Can you draw a diagram or take a pic so we know what we're up against?

Nick

maroondah
    maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:23 PM

I have attached rough guide to the problem. The carvings are outdoors. Standard cradle on a cherry picker is square/oblong in shape and doesn't allow for moving acurately through the angles.view.jpg

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72193 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:43 PM

I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
    This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.

chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 8:57 PM

How about a tower scaffold, they are fitted with wheels and can be moved around the carving and locked in position whilst you photograph each aspect?
    David

lawbert
    lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 9:24 PM

Quote: I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
    This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.

Thats the answer without doubt....Scaffolders are superb nowadays in building a free form structure without the old need of tying in to the building....and a 20ft off the ground it should be super simple to erect.

mikehit
    mikehit  56297 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2013 - 10:27 PM

Can't you move the cherry picker a couple of feet each way so you get the angle?

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 11:30 AM

can you abseil down from above?

or

sounds silly, but, am being serious - what about some stilts? Smile

or

camera on a boom tethered to a live view on a laptop? (not sure how, but am sure someone in the film industry must have overcome this problem before) Smile

Martin54
    Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
    16 Jan 2013 - 12:43 PM

Would this do the job? Polecam

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.