Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help needed-Photographing a set of carvings on a wall

maroondah 11 239 1 Australia
15 Jan 2013 4:22PM
Hi everyone,

I have been asked to photograph a set of carvings (approx size 40 inches tall, 16 inches wide and about 20 inches deep). The carvings are attached to a building 20 feet up and can't be removed. My task is to photograph them for later conversion to 3D by someone else. Each carving needs at least 8 images but I can't get into a position (even with a cherry picker) to cover the required angles. I have been unable to find anything on the internet which may help so I am hoping an ephotozine member might just have an idea that will work. Any ideas welcome

Many Thanks
Gerry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ikett 4 372 England
15 Jan 2013 4:43PM
I had a similar job some time back, I used a telephoto lens from a distance, which reduced the distortion, depends on the location though.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 4:48PM
How about a scaffolding construction built to your spec?
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 6:41PM
Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
15 Jan 2013 6:55PM

Quote:Why knock up a pole and attach your camera to it, then use a infra red remote? Or how about going up on ladders?

If it cant be done by Cherry Picker then I fail to see how this would work on any levelTongueWink
Sooty_1 4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 8:05PM
Is there a window opposite? Or nearly? They must be in a real tricky position if you can't get a cherry picker or even a pole? Can you draw a diagram or take a pic so we know what we're up against?

Nick
maroondah 11 239 1 Australia
15 Jan 2013 8:23PM
I have attached rough guide to the problem. The carvings are outdoors. Standard cradle on a cherry picker is square/oblong in shape and doesn't allow for moving acurately through the angles.view.jpg

arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 8:43PM
I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.
15 Jan 2013 8:57PM
How about a tower scaffold, they are fitted with wheels and can be moved around the carving and locked in position whilst you photograph each aspect?
David
lawbert 7 1.8k 15 England
15 Jan 2013 9:24PM

Quote:I would still be thinking about having a solid platform built on a scaffolding that covered the circle of view, that allowed you to shoot the moulding from all the angles you needed.
This would give you the space to set up camera/tripod at any point you wanted at whatever distance from the moulding you needed.

Thats the answer without doubt....Scaffolders are superb nowadays in building a free form structure without the old need of tying in to the building....and a 20ft off the ground it should be super simple to erect.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2013 10:27PM
Can't you move the cherry picker a couple of feet each way so you get the angle?
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
16 Jan 2013 11:30AM
can you abseil down from above?

or

sounds silly, but, am being serious - what about some stilts? Smile

or

camera on a boom tethered to a live view on a laptop? (not sure how, but am sure someone in the film industry must have overcome this problem before) Smile
Martin54 e2
8 509 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2013 12:43PM
Would this do the job? Polecam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.