Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help needed please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    John1958
    John1958  1
    14 Aug 2013 - 1:57 PM

Hi all, first post since joining.

I have a Canon 650D, which I bought recently and love!!! Bought as part of a kit and got an 18-55 and a 55-250mm lens with it.

My main interest is aviation photography, both at airports and airshows, so at times I need more length!

This summer I've been trying out cropping....couple of my efforts are in my pics on here, but I am thinking of a longer lens. At the very minute I don't have a budget for this, but have been looking at three Sigma lenses.
    120-400
    150-500
    50-500

Obviously the first two are very similar in price, and the last one it steps up a few hundred, but I want to make the right choice!!!

So over to you guys, I'm VERY interested in any points good and bad, just so I dont make a mistake!!!

Thanks in advance

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Aug 2013 - 1:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Simon_Marlow
    Simon_Marlow e2 Member 10119 forum postsSimon_Marlow vcard United Kingdom
    14 Aug 2013 - 3:06 PM

Hi John,

From a personal perspective, i have the sigma 150-500mm (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-150-500mm-f-5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-interchangeable-lens-review-13621) which i have found to be great.

Good image quality and the stabliser makes things easier.

It's a bit on the heavy side but i rarely use it without a monopod.

i've posted a few pics i've taken using it below.

Regards,

Simon

Last Modified By Simon_Marlow at 14 Aug 2013 - 3:08 PM
    John1958
    John1958  1
    14 Aug 2013 - 3:54 PM

Hi Simon, thanks for your input.

Super sharp images those......deffo 10 point's to the 150-500!!!!

John

sayitasyouseeit27

I used to own the 150-500 before changing to a Canon 400L 5-6, its a hell of a good lens at a great price.

Simons images show this very well.

Regards

Josh

Last Modified By sayitasyouseeit27 at 14 Aug 2013 - 6:11 PM
    Mike_Smith
    Mike_Smith e2 Member 7122 forum postsMike_Smith vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Aug 2013 - 8:25 PM

I have the Sigma 120 - 400 and it also gives nice sharp images, BUT if your thinking of using this one or the 150 - 500 handheld don't bother because these are quite heavy. On a tripod then would be ok.
    The 50 - 500 i have seen some cracking pictures from but i have never used one so i cant advise you, but someone will be along who will.

John1958
    John1958  1
    15 Aug 2013 - 8:47 AM

John and Mike, cheers for those comments. There is a chance I could be using it for a few hours at a time, but it wouldn't be constant, do you think I should invest in a tri/monopod then?

John

mikehit
    mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2013 - 9:57 AM

I would say a monopod at least is essential. I have one of the Manfrotto 234RC heads on it
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-234rc-monopod-tilt-head-with-quick-...

I usually use a monopod because it allows me to be more mobile than a tripod, especially when panning.

John1958
    John1958  1
    15 Aug 2013 - 10:05 AM

Cheers Mike. Not used either before....but it looks good. How tall does it stand?

John

paulbroad
    paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom853 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2013 - 10:21 AM

Depends on your budget. I would go for the Sigma 150/500. It is reasonably priced and high quality. The bottom line is sharpness and cost is then not rekevant. If the lens is not sharp then you dkn't want it.

I have the 50/500 and it is sharp on a heavy tripod with careful focusing. Hence the lens optics are good, and the 150 is just as good or better. Thd problem is in use. At long focal lengths there is camera shake and with a very heavy lens, you will shake. Image stabilisation, contrary to some opinion, does not eliminate shake, it REDUCES it.

you will need a tripod, or at least a monopd for most purposes.

However, for photographing aircraft a tripod is nouse and a monopod canbe a bind. You must then learn to hand hold and pan smoothly. It is then relatively easy to get sharp results after practice. remember, fast shutter speeds freeze propellers which you may not want.

It is rarely the case in general, but I find hand holding better for aerial shots. Remember to expose correctly. Pointing at the sky on auto will cause under exposure.

Paul

John1958
    John1958  1
    15 Aug 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi Paul, cheers for that........sounds like you are a fellow plane enthusiast.......got any images I can see please?

John

mikehit
    mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Aug 2013 - 11:00 AM

Quote: Cheers Mike. Not used either before....but it looks good. How tall does it stand?

John

I have one of these
    http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-manfrotto-334b-automatic-monopod-black/p10877...

What I like is that I can set approximate height on the lower section using the twist-lock, then use the 'trigger lock' to fine tune it with just one hand for that particular use. Maximum height is 1.66m (I am 1.77m) but by the time you add the tripod head and height of the camera viewfinder I only need to bend down for the most elevated of shots.

John1958
    John1958  1
    15 Aug 2013 - 11:07 AM

Thanks Mike, certainly food for thought.

John

paulbroad
    paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom853 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Aug 2013 - 7:20 AM

I am a plane enthusiast, but rarely get the chance to go to shows these days. Prefer the piston engine stuff. Rather more elegant I think. You do not need a tripod though. They get in the way of other people, get kicked and and very restrictive. A monopod is better, but I usually find I am swinging round with it off the ground. This is aircraft or birds.

Shot the Battle of Britain flight going over our holiday home a couple of weeks ago, hand held with panning, pin sharp.
    However, you develop your own technique.

Paul

Last Modified By paulbroad at 31 Aug 2013 - 7:23 AM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.