Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help needed with Graphics tablet.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mayfly
Mayfly  8485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2006 - 11:18 AM

I'm looking at a graphics tablet for a Christmas present. I've looked it the threads but the advice is quite model specific.I have noticed this one one for 28 Specs here
seems pretty reasonable to me, has anyone used this tablet or has any advice in what to look for ? I have only used a mouse until now, but understand that you can get much more control with a tablet. I don't want to spend more than 100 but obviously realaise you get what you pay for. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Andy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Oct 2006 - 11:18 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2006 - 11:37 AM

Within your budget may I suggest the Wacom Graphire4 Classic A6.

It has a couple of programmable express keys as well as a scroll type wheel for moving up / down.

The pen aslo has a couple of programmable "clickers" too.

You can always move up to a larger size as and when the budget allows but as a starter it is quite good and does the job.

I have one.

peter shilton
10 Oct 2006 - 11:47 AM

I have the Wacom Graphire 3 which is excellent. I believe the Graphire 4 is the same but with a couple of scroll wheels added.

Mayfly
10 Oct 2006 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the fast responses guys, I'll give those a look. How big is A6 ? A bit bigger than a playing card ? also is the sensitivity of the pen ajustable on these tablets ?

JJGEE
JJGEE  96284 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Oct 2006 - 12:24 PM

A6 is 5.83 X 4.13 inches.

Pen Pressure sensitivity - Yes 512 levels.

Mayfly
10 Oct 2006 - 12:28 PM

Excellent - thanks Jeff.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Oct 2006 - 12:43 PM

I use the A3 Medion from Aldi cheap at 28 ive had it two years and its still working.

User_Removed
10 Oct 2006 - 1:38 PM

Can get used ones from Wacom in Germany. Save a few bob...... anyone done that.
Col

Mayfly
10 Oct 2006 - 1:42 PM

Quote: Can get used ones from Wacom in Germany. Save a few bob...... anyone done that.
Col

Got any useful links / contacts Col ?

imagegrill
10 Oct 2006 - 2:35 PM

I've ordered that one from Amazon last week, should be arriving any day now so I'll let you know how I get on. A colleague of mine uses it and tell sme it's very good so i though I'd give it a go as an entry level try.
If I find it too small I'll just keep it with the laptopn for playing when I have to travel and buy a bigger one later. At the moment I'm not sure how much use it will get or exactly what I want from it. 28 is a fair price to try these things i figured!
Alternatively if I hate the thing I can flog on eBay and not lose too much Wink

Mayfly
10 Oct 2006 - 3:24 PM

Those were my thoughts exactly, I'm thinking what if I don't get on with a tablet ? I'm sure there's no reason why I wouldn't but hey. If you could provide a "first impressions update" here, that would be fantastic Paul.

Chers,

Andy.

User_Removed
10 Oct 2006 - 5:20 PM

Wacom Europe
Menu on left side...... have to convert euros 1.432 = 1

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
imagegrill
10 Oct 2006 - 9:49 PM

Andy, the tablet was waiting for me when I got home from work - which was cool.
For some reason I had to reboot my PC to get it to work after installing the drivers (software didn't request it though) but after that it was very good. The tutorial was fine (though a little simplistic)for getting to grips with the device. It's going to take some getting used to it but I don't feel that it is too small or that there are any other problems as it was so cheap.
There is a lot of potential with this and I'm happy that I didn't spend too much to try this out (so is the wife as I brought a 5D with lens last week!).
Think I'll need a few weeks to get fully used to it but I do feel it' a good starting point.

I'd say buy one, I certainly haven't regretted!

Paul

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Mayfly
11 Oct 2006 - 7:35 AM

Thanks for your reply Paul. If your first impressions are good then for 30 I'll probably go with it.

Cheers for the help all,

Andy.

P.s - Hope your enjoying you 5D, How did you talk the other half around ? (I'm trying to sweeten mine up for a D200 Wink

imagegrill
11 Oct 2006 - 5:36 PM

I just told her it was my money that I earned through bonus's at work and some eBay sales, so it wasn't like 'real' money!
Only told her for the price of the 5D on it's own, not the price I paid for the 5D with 24-105 L. So far she hasn't fully twigged.....LOL

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.