Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Help on camera choice

7 Oct 2009 11:54AM
I have had a Fuji5600, basic and I pushed it to its limits and I did pay over the odds as it was a new technology when it came out. I need a new camera and being on benefits, living on morphine I can't work. Photography is a hobby and a passion and there is no way I can afford my dream as benefits are not money you can enjoy yourself on, you survive. But, I do go without to try and get what I can and save as much as I can. So realistically a DSLR is out of the question due to having to buy lens's and all the addons that go with it. That is my dream but I realise that dreams cannot be fulfilled on benefits.

So sad to say I have to contend myself to the cheaper ends of the market that will be similar to the fuji 5600. Reasons are it has a wide to telephoto lens all in one. So what is THE BEST fixed super zoom lens camera there is with the possibility of adding extensions on for macro/wide angle (these are just hopes). Also the most pixels as I use the computer as my extra macro to crop in and the more pixels the more I have to play around with. I know there are limits and other factors. I can go upto 600 or if I can persuade my wife a little higher. I am not interested in Video at all, just still photography. Looking forward to your replies

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 12:18PM
Hi Tony - You could have your DSLR option and lenses within budget if you shop around.

Amazon have a brand new Sony Alpha A230 with 18-55 for 349 - plenty left for a zoom as well

Pre-owned Nikon D80 (3,500 actuations) +55 - 200 - 475 - some left for a wide angle lens as well (MPB)

Pre-owned Canon 30D + 55 - 200 - 475 - some left for a wide angle lens as well. (Mifsuds)

For maximum flexibility - it's an option to consider.

I bought my 30D second hand years ago and it's still going strong.

You can have your dream and within budget if you like.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Oct 2009 12:28PM

Quote:I can go upto 600

If you shop wisely, And your not a brand snob, 600 quid will get you a DSLR with a lens or 2.....Smile

For example this fab " Olympus Kit " ...Smile

Or have a peruse of this site...Wink

Either way, Buying straight into a DSLR within your budget now, Makes more financial sense in the long term.

Buy Wise, Buy Once....Smile
montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 12:45PM
Tony - cameracat's link for the Oly kit is a great deal to offer and all brand new.

How's your dream now? Getting a little closer I hope.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
7 Oct 2009 12:59PM
cattyal e2
9 6.4k 6 England
7 Oct 2009 2:03PM
If you don't want a DSLR then if you ever come across the Sony R1 I suggest you take a look - it's my favourite walkabout camera when I want to travel relatively light (It's bigger than my Sony A350) and produces wonderful results - nice wide angle on it too.
pluffy 7 135 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2009 3:14PM
You could try the Pentax K m with 18 55 lens and add the Tamron 70 300 lens all for less than 500
7 Oct 2009 7:23PM
Thanks for your advice, am half way to saving. Its just panicking as mine is now no more and don't have a camera now!! But, I don't want to take the easy route and buy a camera that is a cheap and my wife then saying 'Well you have your camera Now! What more do you want?'
'Well, er ...'

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.