Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help on Macro Lens Choice

15 Dec 2013 12:06PM
Hello All,

I'd really appreciate some advice on what Macro Lens would be a good choice for me.

I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 recently and would like a macro lens with a wide aperture.

I'm not into taking close ups of insects but would like to take shots of flowers etc where there is one sharp area of focus and a large depth of field.

I'm confused by the choices available and I thought about 300 would get me a decent lens.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Elaine (www.i'mconfused.com) Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

15 Dec 2013 12:33PM
If flowers is your main subject check out the nikon 40mm macro 185. Or if you need more focal length and working distance look at the 60mm and up lenses. All macro lenses no matter what brand are sharp and will produce shallow depth of field and nice boken.
15 Dec 2013 12:43PM
Thanks for your post Gareth - it's helped me to figure out that I need a 60mm upwards macro lens.
Thanks so much
ElaineGrin
15 Dec 2013 1:35PM
I've decided on this macro lens

Sigma 105mm f2.8 Macro EX DG OS HSM - Nikon Fit

Just wondered if anyone has this lens and any opinions would be useful.

Cheers
Elaine Grin
15 Dec 2013 2:05PM
Had the 105mm in the past excellent lens. I sold it to fund the 150mm but that is way over your budget and really not required for flower photography.
No matter what lens you go for just be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into learning how it all comes together macro can be very demanding and fascinating.
15 Dec 2013 2:58PM

Quote:No matter what lens you go for just be prepared to put a lot of time and effort into learning how it all comes together macro can be very demanding and fascinating.

Thanks Gareth...should keep me out of trouble for while Grin
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
15 Dec 2013 9:05PM
One guy I know carries an A4-sized piece of dark matt card and a swatch of black material to create a dark background for his flower shots and they were very, very good. I will be trying the same next year.
15 Dec 2013 9:41PM
Hi Mike...thanks that's a great tip about the dark card and material. I'm going to wait until after Christmas to buy my lens...hoping for a bit of discount Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.