Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help please! City and Guids course confusion!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Imagine23
    Imagine23  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Sep 2006 - 9:08 PM

Hi all,

I know some of you have done the City and Guilds course and I've just started level 2. I went on Tues to the 'digital' level 2 and the first session was really basic and lots of people there were complete beginners to photography. I'm certainly not an expert, but I did find it very slow and so had a look at the level 3 booklet. This did look a lot more challanging and I thought that, although I may find it hard, the course sounded much more interesting and useful. I spoke to the man in charge and he told me to come along to the Thurs session (tonight). I've just got back and it turned out the session was again a complete mix of experience and he basically said that I could do the level 3 but I would have to teach myself. I'm a bit confused because I thought each level would be taught seperately. However, tonight there were people doing level 1, 2 and 3 all in the same class. Is this the normal way of working for C&G? I thought at level 3 you would be taught at least some of it. Help I'm confused! I'm not sure if I'm going to get much out of this now but I've already paid :-O

Thanks for any advice,

Lynn

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Sep 2006 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
    dcash29  81906 forum posts England
    21 Sep 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi Lynn

i took the level 2 some years ago and yes it was very basic, i was even helping some fellow students.
    I was told if i took level three i'd have to teach myself, something i found stupid seeing i'd gone there in the first place for tutition.

i never attended, so i trailed around the local photography clubs/socities until i found a good one. Find one that is or has members associated will national photography alliances
    The first question you need to ask is will i get help/info if i need it from members?

There you should find a varied selection of knowledge although nearly all older men...lol but they will have club photo competitions every so often which is intended to give feedback from a visiting judge.

see my society link
    www.buryps.co.uk/

Hope this helps some.

David

Imagine23
    22 Sep 2006 - 8:11 AM

Thanks David. It cetainly does seem a slightly bizar set up (I mean the C&G, not your society)! I went to a photo society for a couple of weeks and I thought it was really helpful but unfortunately its on the same night as the C&G (I think I've opted to go with the film based course so then at least I'll learn something as I've only ever done digital). I considered trying to get a refund (it would go quite a way towards the 17-40mm L I want!) but I'm not sure that they will allow that. I will probably look for another society on a different night to.
    Thanks again
    Lynn

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hi Lynn

I took C&G one last year, and it was very basic, in fact a couple of us were helping others on the course who had never used an SLR before. Which was the reason I dind't sign up for level 2 this year. I'm also looking for good a local club.

Sarah

Imagine23
    22 Sep 2006 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, its such a disappointment! I think the course could be really good if they were organised in a different way. Never mind, at least I'll know not to sign up for the level 3!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.