Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help please! City and Guids course confusion!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Imagine23
    Imagine23  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Sep 2006 - 9:08 PM

Hi all,

I know some of you have done the City and Guilds course and I've just started level 2. I went on Tues to the 'digital' level 2 and the first session was really basic and lots of people there were complete beginners to photography. I'm certainly not an expert, but I did find it very slow and so had a look at the level 3 booklet. This did look a lot more challanging and I thought that, although I may find it hard, the course sounded much more interesting and useful. I spoke to the man in charge and he told me to come along to the Thurs session (tonight). I've just got back and it turned out the session was again a complete mix of experience and he basically said that I could do the level 3 but I would have to teach myself. I'm a bit confused because I thought each level would be taught seperately. However, tonight there were people doing level 1, 2 and 3 all in the same class. Is this the normal way of working for C&G? I thought at level 3 you would be taught at least some of it. Help I'm confused! I'm not sure if I'm going to get much out of this now but I've already paid :-O

Thanks for any advice,

Lynn

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Sep 2006 - 9:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29
    dcash29  81908 forum posts England
    21 Sep 2006 - 10:51 PM

Hi Lynn

i took the level 2 some years ago and yes it was very basic, i was even helping some fellow students.
    I was told if i took level three i'd have to teach myself, something i found stupid seeing i'd gone there in the first place for tutition.

i never attended, so i trailed around the local photography clubs/socities until i found a good one. Find one that is or has members associated will national photography alliances
    The first question you need to ask is will i get help/info if i need it from members?

There you should find a varied selection of knowledge although nearly all older men...lol but they will have club photo competitions every so often which is intended to give feedback from a visiting judge.

see my society link
    www.buryps.co.uk/

Hope this helps some.

David

Imagine23
    22 Sep 2006 - 8:11 AM

Thanks David. It cetainly does seem a slightly bizar set up (I mean the C&G, not your society)! I went to a photo society for a couple of weeks and I thought it was really helpful but unfortunately its on the same night as the C&G (I think I've opted to go with the film based course so then at least I'll learn something as I've only ever done digital). I considered trying to get a refund (it would go quite a way towards the 17-40mm L I want!) but I'm not sure that they will allow that. I will probably look for another society on a different night to.
    Thanks again
    Lynn

whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Sep 2006 - 10:14 AM

Hi Lynn

I took C&G one last year, and it was very basic, in fact a couple of us were helping others on the course who had never used an SLR before. Which was the reason I dind't sign up for level 2 this year. I'm also looking for good a local club.

Sarah

Imagine23
    22 Sep 2006 - 11:23 AM

Yeah, its such a disappointment! I think the course could be really good if they were organised in a different way. Never mind, at least I'll know not to sign up for the level 3!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.