Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help Please. I can't retain color management profile.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
pennyspike
pennyspike  102068 forum posts United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2011 - 9:51 AM

Since changing from Vista to Windows 7 a few months I can't retain any colour management.
At the changeover we reloaded everthing without any major problems.
I use a Colormunki use the latest version and have asked them for advice but the only solution seems to be reprofile every time I turn on.
The default position is so bad I can't bare to look at the screen so there is no danger of accidently working on anything important.

I've tried to find a solution on the net but without any success.
Is there anybody out there who can help ....Pretty pleaseSad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jan 2011 - 9:51 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022557 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2011 - 10:02 AM

XRite have been having problems with Windows 7 since it's release, they really should have got over the 'old' software issue by now.Here's their 'walkthrough' for the problem.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2011 - 10:06 AM

So do you have to leave UAC off for their software to work, sounds like a big drop off

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2011 - 10:18 AM

Penny follow Keith's link - I too had problems when I moved to Windows 7. The details in the link takes some following, but you need to get the Windows defender bit right to allow the program to update. Ensure you get the right one (I take it 64 bit). I have several uploads that I should really delete as I had the same problem for about a week - 10 days before I finally resolved it.

EDIT: See you've already found it usefull whilst typing this - I hope its now resolved.

Last Modified By Nick_w at 4 Jan 2011 - 10:19 AM
digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2011 - 10:19 AM

Have you made sure that Adobe Gamma isn't running at startup?

Ian

pennyspike
4 Jan 2011 - 10:22 AM

Thanks Keith, I shall sit quietly and give it a try. I've been in contact with their support in both USA & UK without being directed there, from a quick look it could be the answer. I'll report back later.

contemporary dave

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that the profile is not kicking in when you fire up your computer? If it is, I have the same problem - albeit an intermittant problem with my Spyder software. This is a known issue with Vista & 7. The way to make the profile kick in is to do it manually. Go to your startup menu where you should see the Colormunki ikon. Hold down CTRL and drag it onto your desktop. Then double click on it when you want it to kick in. I can't say for definate this will work, but it works for me on my Spyder.

As also mentioned, ensure that Adobe gamma is disabled as this too can cause issues with profiles.

pennyspike
4 Jan 2011 - 11:47 AM

Well, I followed the instructions and found the ? suggesting a driver problem but was told it was OK.
Reprofiled, switched off & when it came back on even the curser wouldn't move.
Switched off & on again, same old colour problem but this time the curser moved and I reprofiled once more but for the first time had some 'on screen' instructions that have never appeared before. After switching down & up once more this time the profile was the same as the one before. Eureka,..... I only hope it lasts.
Thanks Keith.Grin
It does seem that the UAC was the problem. If it keeps the profile can I turn the UAC back on now?
Thanks Dave I'll keep the manual method in reserve if the improvement doesn't last.

Last Modified By pennyspike at 4 Jan 2011 - 11:50 AM
pennyspike
6 Jan 2011 - 11:00 PM

Sad to report I went back to square 1 this morning. Eyeballs blasted with glare so bad that I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds so it's back to reprofiling everytime I switch on.
I suppose I'd better try again.Sad

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2011 - 11:03 PM

Have you still got the driver problem, from the symptoms I would say yes. So check that first. and also check you have the latest graphics card drivers.

pennyspike
6 Jan 2011 - 11:24 PM

Thanks strawman, we'll tackle it again tomorrow, Grin

pennyspike
4 Feb 2011 - 11:21 PM

I'm sorry to say that I'm still having big problems and I'm back to reprofiling every time I switch on. We've tried all the suggestions on here and they did work for a day or two but it soon reverted to malfunctioning.
Could it be the monitor itself? Factory reset does produce very strange looking results.

If it is the monitor any suggestions as to a good buy?
Thanks

GlennH
GlennH e2 Member 81822 forum postsGlennH vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2011 - 9:04 AM

It's the calibration data that kicks in at startup on a Windows PC. The Win 7 desktop is not colour managed, so it doesn't use the monitor profile.

It's not clear to me Penny where things are breaking down with the Colormunki, but I am a bit thick. Are you able to calibrate and profile the monitor, or does the software stop working during this process? Or is it simply that the calibration data doesn't load at startup?

Does seem like a software problem rather than one with your monitor, so it might be a drastic move to switch the screen, unless it's due for renewal anyway.

pennyspike
5 Feb 2011 - 6:04 PM

Thanks Glen,
I have been in touch with Xrite who can't suggest anything to help apart from to continue reprofiling every time we switch on. The profile we get is perfect but it just isn't retained in the system although it show up as the default profile in the Colour Manager. We've followed the link from Keith, checked all the drivers, have the latest Color Munki 64bit compatible download,& asked our local guru.

It was fine until we switched to Windows7, there were a few minor problems at first but all have been resolved except this one.

When we turn on the computer the monitor blasts out an eye-popping 100% brightness necessitating a factory reset just to read the emails.
BUT, sometimes all this doesn't happen and it behaves perfectly lulling us into a false sense of security. Sad

Sabreur
Sabreur  8767 forum posts England
5 Feb 2011 - 6:32 PM

I use a program called LUT Manager to reload the default profile every time my Vista laptop decides not to use it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.