Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help Please. I can't retain color management profile.

pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2011 9:51AM
Since changing from Vista to Windows 7 a few months I can't retain any colour management.
At the changeover we reloaded everthing without any major problems.
I use a Colormunki use the latest version and have asked them for advice but the only solution seems to be reprofile every time I turn on.
The default position is so bad I can't bare to look at the screen so there is no danger of accidently working on anything important.

I've tried to find a solution on the net but without any success.
Is there anybody out there who can help ....Pretty pleaseSad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
4 Jan 2011 10:02AM
XRite have been having problems with Windows 7 since it's release, they really should have got over the 'old' software issue by now. Here's their 'walkthrough' for the problem.
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2011 10:06AM
So do you have to leave UAC off for their software to work, sounds like a big drop off
Nick_w e2
7 3.9k 99 England
4 Jan 2011 10:18AM
Penny follow Keith's link - I too had problems when I moved to Windows 7. The details in the link takes some following, but you need to get the Windows defender bit right to allow the program to update. Ensure you get the right one (I take it 64 bit). I have several uploads that I should really delete as I had the same problem for about a week - 10 days before I finally resolved it.

EDIT: See you've already found it usefull whilst typing this - I hope its now resolved.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2011 10:19AM
Have you made sure that Adobe Gamma isn't running at startup?

Ian
4 Jan 2011 10:22AM
Thanks Keith, I shall sit quietly and give it a try. I've been in contact with their support in both USA & UK without being directed there, from a quick look it could be the answer. I'll report back later.
4 Jan 2011 11:47AM
If I understand you correctly, are you saying that the profile is not kicking in when you fire up your computer? If it is, I have the same problem - albeit an intermittant problem with my Spyder software. This is a known issue with Vista & 7. The way to make the profile kick in is to do it manually. Go to your startup menu where you should see the Colormunki ikon. Hold down CTRL and drag it onto your desktop. Then double click on it when you want it to kick in. I can't say for definate this will work, but it works for me on my Spyder.

As also mentioned, ensure that Adobe gamma is disabled as this too can cause issues with profiles.
4 Jan 2011 11:47AM
Well, I followed the instructions and found the ? suggesting a driver problem but was told it was OK.
Reprofiled, switched off & when it came back on even the curser wouldn't move.
Switched off & on again, same old colour problem but this time the curser moved and I reprofiled once more but for the first time had some 'on screen' instructions that have never appeared before. After switching down & up once more this time the profile was the same as the one before. Eureka,..... I only hope it lasts.
Thanks Keith.Grin
It does seem that the UAC was the problem. If it keeps the profile can I turn the UAC back on now?
Thanks Dave I'll keep the manual method in reserve if the improvement doesn't last.
6 Jan 2011 11:00PM
Sad to report I went back to square 1 this morning. Eyeballs blasted with glare so bad that I couldn't look at it for more than a few seconds so it's back to reprofiling everytime I switch on.
I suppose I'd better try again.Sad
strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2011 11:03PM
Have you still got the driver problem, from the symptoms I would say yes. So check that first. and also check you have the latest graphics card drivers.
6 Jan 2011 11:24PM
Thanks strawman, we'll tackle it again tomorrow, Grin
4 Feb 2011 11:21PM
I'm sorry to say that I'm still having big problems and I'm back to reprofiling every time I switch on. We've tried all the suggestions on here and they did work for a day or two but it soon reverted to malfunctioning.
Could it be the monitor itself? Factory reset does produce very strange looking results.

If it is the monitor any suggestions as to a good buy?
Thanks
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
5 Feb 2011 9:04AM
It's the calibration data that kicks in at startup on a Windows PC. The Win 7 desktop is not colour managed, so it doesn't use the monitor profile.

It's not clear to me Penny where things are breaking down with the Colormunki, but I am a bit thick. Are you able to calibrate and profile the monitor, or does the software stop working during this process? Or is it simply that the calibration data doesn't load at startup?

Does seem like a software problem rather than one with your monitor, so it might be a drastic move to switch the screen, unless it's due for renewal anyway.
5 Feb 2011 6:04PM
Thanks Glen,
I have been in touch with Xrite who can't suggest anything to help apart from to continue reprofiling every time we switch on. The profile we get is perfect but it just isn't retained in the system although it show up as the default profile in the Colour Manager. We've followed the link from Keith, checked all the drivers, have the latest Color Munki 64bit compatible download,& asked our local guru.

It was fine until we switched to Windows7, there were a few minor problems at first but all have been resolved except this one.

When we turn on the computer the monitor blasts out an eye-popping 100% brightness necessitating a factory reset just to read the emails.
BUT, sometimes all this doesn't happen and it behaves perfectly lulling us into a false sense of security. Sad
Sabreur 9 767 England
5 Feb 2011 6:32PM
I use a program called LUT Manager to reload the default profile every time my Vista laptop decides not to use it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.