Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help please from Canon 6 D owners

Hi,
I need a bit of help to stop me going mental,
Ive sent my 6D off to canon as the focusing screen felll out and got scratched. I know it was a small job but its under warranty so thought canon should fix it. Anyway. When it returned there was a problem with selecting the focus point. However the canon repair centre claim im doing it wrong and say there is nothing wrong with the camera. So please help me.

Here is the problem. To select a focus point. I hold down the focus point selection button and then use the dial on the top front to move around the focus points until its gets to the desired focus point. (Simple) however this does not work on my camera.
I know i can use the toggle on the back too. But im used to doing it with the top, front dial.

Now when i got my camera back this did not work so i sent it back.
My problem is Canon say the top,front dial does not select the focus points.
Is it me and am i going bonkers. Ive been using a 6D for 6 months, how can i not know how my camera works. Anyhow can any 6D owwners out there please confirm,
Can you select any of the focus points by holding in the focus point selction button and then turning the top front dial. Before i section myself.

Ive checked the manual and it says im right. But thats not making any difference to the repair centre.

Thanks you

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 1:33PM
what does the manual say?
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
12 Jun 2013 1:35PM
Do you happen to be using a basic zone mode?

af-zone.jpg

Yes basic zone modes, and yes i have the manual. And it should work as i blieve it should. However i would just like another 6 D owner to test it on their camera. To make sure im not loosing my mind.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2013 4:59PM
The bit that Glenn has posted says you cannot select focus AF point in Basic Zone modes.
In other modes The front wheel works as you describe.
Sorry my mistake. The camera was not in in basic mode, but still couldnt select focus point with front wheel. Apparantly they have re set everything, Hopefully ill get it back tomorrow so can try it again. I use it every day but you start doubting yourself when your told theres nothing wrong with it.
Ill find out soon if im loosing the plot
Good news My camera has been returned and it is now working. The report sheet says it was checked by means of error indicator ????????
anyway they restored it to factory settings and it now works. although i now have to go through the menu setting it up again.
I knew i wasn't loosing the plot!!!!!!!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2013 9:10PM
That is great to hear. Glad it was that simple.
Cheers Mike,
Atleast im not mad ?Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.