Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help please photoshop creating a path query

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrish4
    chrish4  989 forum posts
    5 Nov 2012 - 1:53 PM

HI there

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong as I have steam coming out of my ears trying to create a text path in photoshop.

I am a complete novice it has to be said but basically following a tutorial where I have the pen tool and have it on create a path, I get to the point where I have anchor marks along the curve i want to follow and then hit my text tool and see the 'I' shape with squiggle through it showing a I can start typing. Then it all goes wrong... as soon as I hit my type tool and then click on the line a dot appears and no text will show up... I am going just a bit crazy trying to work out what I'm doing wrong - any 'idiots guide to creating a path' advice very gratefully received!!

ThanksGrin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Nov 2012 - 1:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown

At the risk of being no help whatsoever . . . !
    I've never created a 'text path,' although I think I know what you mean.
    I have however, included text as a part of an image.
    Sometimes, if you're using a very large image and the size of the text is very small, I think that it defaults to about 6pt. or something, the text is too small to see and it can appear that you're typing yet nothing is happening.
    Try increasing the size of the text perhaps?
    Make it outrageously large to begin with and see if you can see that.
    Just an idea.

Bren.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 5 Nov 2012 - 2:19 PM
    chrish4
    chrish4  989 forum posts
    5 Nov 2012 - 2:23 PM

Thank you Bren for taking the time to respond - the text won't even write at all, I think it is something to do with my path not being long enough but I really appreciate you taking time to respondGrin

Jestertheclown

No problem.

lemmy
    lemmy  71938 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Nov 2012 - 4:26 PM

I have just done what you are trying to do with no problems.

Open image, pen tool, make path any old how. Open text tool click on beginning of path...type.

Things to check. Text is not same or near colour to background. Text font size is big enough to show up. On a 2000px width image, for example, 12 point or more.

If you look at the paths palette, you should see two there, one for the path you have made and the other for the text you have typed on it. The layers palette will show 2, one for the background the other for the text.

Jestertheclown

So it does!

I've never done that before.

chrish4
    chrish4  989 forum posts
    5 Nov 2012 - 7:22 PM

Thnks Lemmy - beginning to think I have a glitch on system as I can do this with ellipse shape and get text to follow a path of circle but as soon as using pen tool to try & create just a simple curve nothing is happening - think I can work around by just using half of the circle. As an aside do you know how to get the text to fill full circle as halfway round text starts to disappear - I use the path selection tool to move the little marker further and while text does reappear I still only get to a max of about 330degrees rather than 360 degrees?

Thanks for taking time to respond

EddieAC
    EddieAC  9684 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2012 - 11:24 PM

You can use the Elliptical marquee tool to drag out a selection (Hold down shift while dragging to make a perfect circle).

Now right click on or near the selection and select "Make work path". A box will appear to set a tolerance in pixels. I used 1.0.

Now use the text tool as normal. Using this method I got the text to wrap 360 degrees.

I also found this video by Gavin Hoey that gives some useful tips.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.