Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Help please re memory card locked

6 Jan 2012 12:49PM
Hi All,

I am very much a newbee to all this. I have a new digi camera bought by my boyfriend for xmas. Its a Canon IXUS 115 HS. I have tried to upload photographs to computer but it wont let me, when i turn on my camera with the SD card in it is saying memory card locked and memory card error. How do i rectify this? I am not sure how it has happened but right now i feel heartbroken due to all photographs of my son's first xmas on it Sad.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

newfocus e2
8 644 2 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 12:52PM
Some SD cards have a little sliding lock on the side of the card - not sure if that's it.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 12:53PM
take the card out of the camera and look at the side of it, there should be button which says 'unlock'?
6 Jan 2012 1:16PM
There is a little slide button just tried it but still is saying ' memory card error' :-(!
alansnap e2
10 529 23 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 1:31PM
All is not lost. There are ways to recover the files. Take the card to a camera shop and see what they advise. Alternatively you can buy recovery software from Sandisk, and that should allow you to interrogate the card. Once you have your files back, get a new card and then make sure you download every day be sure that you have back-ups of all your photos - do it very day too.

All the best,
Alan
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 2:18PM
How are you trying to download them.. card reader or direct from camera to pc?
Metalhead
7 1.9k 2 England
6 Jan 2012 2:19PM
There's plenty of freebie recovery software before you start shelling out money for software. Have a Google for "recuva" from Piriform, the makers of CCleaner.

You might be able to use Recuva whilst your camera is connected to the computer, so long as the software can detect the camera and card.

Then if that works and you get your images onto the PC, I'd try formatting the card within the camera, and take some test shots after that. If you don't get that far, then either the camera or the card is most likely at fault. Do you have another memory card to try in the camera? That could eliminate one of them!
6 Jan 2012 4:30PM
does it still work in your camera and can you take pictures / see them on your camera screen, if so then use your camera lead that came with your camera. If you are removing it and putting it into a card reader, your reader may not be able to read your card (I have HCSD cards that do not work on my old card reader but work fine on my more recent one as the reader can only cope with standard SD cards)

hope this helps

Darren
KONIN e2
3 252 England
6 Jan 2012 5:16PM
try formatting the card on the camera that my make it work after you have recovered the photos
23 Jan 2012 1:20PM
Hi all thank you for your replies. It is now working however i can not transfer them to the computer as it is saying i need to format the disk first. By formatting the disc i will loose all my photographs. Is there way of formatting the disc without loosing the photographs?

Thanks,
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 1:23PM
Formatting a disk will erase the data on their and will make it nigh on impossible to retreive so dont do it ! maybe ask an epz'er in your area for some help where are you at ?
pulsar69 10 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2012 1:29PM
also a bit more on the scecifics will help

how are you transferring them card reader or usb
what exactly are the error messages
what make and size of card
what format they were shot in ( jpg ?? )
what position is the side switch on the card now in
can you see the pics and all the photo data on the back of the camera ok from the card
does the camera have internal memory
rogerj184 2 1
6 Feb 2012 12:25PM
Hi friend!
To resolve the memory card locked error easily you can format the card and get back the erased photos either using a backup file or a professional Mac photo recovery tool.
KenTaylor e2
10 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2012 3:48PM
If the camera is still taking photos then try removing the card from the camera and use an SD card slot in your computer.
Failing that use a cheap SD card reader.

The warning that you need to format the card can be ignored as it sometimes can be false.
It is assumed that you formatted the card when you first put it in the camera, this is important as the format will be recorded for your camera.
rhol2 e2
3 321 1 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2012 9:55AM
As noted above, "Recuva" will recover files from a card formatted in your computer. I've used it in this way. However You cannot guarantee it will recover all the photos intact. It might be worth a try as a last resort if you can't avoid reformatting.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.