Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help please re memory card locked

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Harrys_mummy
6 Jan 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi All,

I am very much a newbee to all this. I have a new digi camera bought by my boyfriend for xmas. Its a Canon IXUS 115 HS. I have tried to upload photographs to computer but it wont let me, when i turn on my camera with the SD card in it is saying memory card locked and memory card error. How do i rectify this? I am not sure how it has happened but right now i feel heartbroken due to all photographs of my son's first xmas on it Sad.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2012 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 12:52 PM

Some SD cards have a little sliding lock on the side of the card - not sure if that's it.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 12:53 PM

take the card out of the camera and look at the side of it, there should be button which says 'unlock'?

Harrys_mummy
6 Jan 2012 - 1:16 PM

There is a little slide button just tried it but still is saying ' memory card error' :-(!

alansnap
alansnap e2 Member 10528 forum postsalansnap vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 1:31 PM

All is not lost. There are ways to recover the files. Take the card to a camera shop and see what they advise. Alternatively you can buy recovery software from Sandisk, and that should allow you to interrogate the card. Once you have your files back, get a new card and then make sure you download every day be sure that you have back-ups of all your photos - do it very day too.

All the best,
Alan

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 2:18 PM

How are you trying to download them.. card reader or direct from camera to pc?

Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 2:19 PM

There's plenty of freebie recovery software before you start shelling out money for software. Have a Google for "recuva" from Piriform, the makers of CCleaner.

You might be able to use Recuva whilst your camera is connected to the computer, so long as the software can detect the camera and card.

Then if that works and you get your images onto the PC, I'd try formatting the card within the camera, and take some test shots after that. If you don't get that far, then either the camera or the card is most likely at fault. Do you have another memory card to try in the camera? That could eliminate one of them!

darrensmithgbr

does it still work in your camera and can you take pictures / see them on your camera screen, if so then use your camera lead that came with your camera. If you are removing it and putting it into a card reader, your reader may not be able to read your card (I have HCSD cards that do not work on my old card reader but work fine on my more recent one as the reader can only cope with standard SD cards)

hope this helps

Darren

KONIN
KONIN e2 Member 3252 forum postsKONIN vcard England
6 Jan 2012 - 5:16 PM

try formatting the card on the camera that my make it work after you have recovered the photos

Harrys_mummy
23 Jan 2012 - 1:20 PM

Hi all thank you for your replies. It is now working however i can not transfer them to the computer as it is saying i need to format the disk first. By formatting the disc i will loose all my photographs. Is there way of formatting the disc without loosing the photographs?

Thanks,

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 1:23 PM

Formatting a disk will erase the data on their and will make it nigh on impossible to retreive so dont do it ! maybe ask an epz'er in your area for some help where are you at ?

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 1:29 PM

also a bit more on the scecifics will help

how are you transferring them card reader or usb
what exactly are the error messages
what make and size of card
what format they were shot in ( jpg ?? )
what position is the side switch on the card now in
can you see the pics and all the photo data on the back of the camera ok from the card
does the camera have internal memory

rogerj184
rogerj184  2
6 Feb 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi friend!
To resolve the memory card locked error easily you can format the card and get back the erased photos either using a backup file or a professional Mac photo recovery tool.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92971 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 3:48 PM

If the camera is still taking photos then try removing the card from the camera and use an SD card slot in your computer.
Failing that use a cheap SD card reader.

The warning that you need to format the card can be ignored as it sometimes can be false.
It is assumed that you formatted the card when you first put it in the camera, this is important as the format will be recorded for your camera.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2012 - 9:55 AM

As noted above, "Recuva" will recover files from a card formatted in your computer. I've used it in this way. However You cannot guarantee it will recover all the photos intact. It might be worth a try as a last resort if you can't avoid reformatting.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.