Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

Help recovering lost photos on SDHC card

mondmagu 5 74 Ireland
2 Dec 2012 8:09PM
Hi all I'm looking for assistance please.
Just taken some shots over this weekend with a Panasonic compact with an sdhc memory card.
There were about 60 photos taken between the two days.The photos could be reviewed in camera earlier today on the way home,but now it will only show today's photos.When the camera was turned on this evening,it showed an error message when trying to view yesterdays photos and said to turn off the camera.
I turned it off and on again and now the camera only shows 15 files recorded.I checked the internal memory and it is empty.I removed the memory card and re-installed but to no avail.I then tried the memory card in my pc and again,only 15 files recorded.
Is there a programme to recover the images or can someone recommend a programme that can retrieve the lost images.
Appreciate your help in advance.

Des

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2012 8:16PM
Jestertheclown 6 6.8k 245 England
2 Dec 2012 8:21PM
I've successfully used 'Recuva' before and there are several others, all of which are free.

Bear in mind though, that whatever software you throw at it, you'll only be able to recover files that haven't become damaged or corrupted.
BEVZED 8 1.1k United Kingdom
2 Dec 2012 9:44PM
z a r , saved my skin many a time Grin Slow but thorough (and comes up with all sorts of odd ones from way back too!)
StrayCat Plus
11 16.2k 2 Canada
2 Dec 2012 9:46PM
Listen to Bev.Wink
2 Dec 2012 9:48PM
lol! Thanks Denny Smile
MrGoatsmilk 6 1.5k England
2 Dec 2012 9:53PM
They will be there don't worry, we use Encase at work but the free recovery programs linked above will do the job no problem.
mondmagu 5 74 Ireland
2 Dec 2012 11:37PM
Thanks all,will try tomorrow.

Des
mondmagu 5 74 Ireland
3 Dec 2012 11:25AM
KNS,jestertheclown,tried both programmes.Worked out ok but only found 3 photos,the rest showed as corrupt.
BEVZED,am trying zar now,but not hopeful.

A big thanks to all for your help.

Des
KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2012 11:49AM
Unfortunately images captured later will have overwritten the index data for the corrupt files....and you're welcome Smile
mondmagu 5 74 Ireland
3 Dec 2012 12:33PM
To my amazement,zar has recovered all the images from the weekend bar 2.
Definitely recommend zar 100%!!! Great programme.

Thanks all,especially BEVZED.

Des
3 Dec 2012 12:42PM
Grin pleased to hear!
Jestertheclown 6 6.8k 245 England
3 Dec 2012 12:50PM
Good news!

I've only ever had to recover images once.
That was after I'd accidentally deleted a folder on my hard drive. Recuva got them back easily but I think that your situation was perhaps, a bit more serious. I'll have to remember ZAR if I ever need to do it again.
In fact, there are many data recovery tools that can recover lost images from SDHC card. Some data recovery software is free, while others are not free. In order to recover as many lost photos as possible, you may wish to try more pictures recovery tools, such as Recuva, Card Data Recovery, Wise Data Recovery, Pandora Data Recovery and more.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.