Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help required

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    A12PHOTO
    A12PHOTO  4 United Kingdom
    13 Jun 2011 - 12:49 PM

Hi am looking to get in to event photography,so if anyone has any pointers/contacts or jobs, please get in touch.
    Thanks.
    Pete

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Jun 2011 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2011 - 1:59 PM

What sort of events?

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53534 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Jun 2011 - 2:27 PM

Pete, you may want to specify what area's you are most likely to travel too - where are you based?

A12PHOTO
    13 Jun 2011 - 8:35 PM

Hi am based in Ipswich in Suffolk and looking at running,triathalon,cycling,open water swims, possiblbly motorbike racing.

RRRoger
    RRRoger  453 forum posts United States
    19 Jun 2011 - 5:44 AM

Good luck,
    We are Event Photographers.
    Business is worst in 10 years.
    No body buying
    Everyone has their own camera
    some even use a cell phone.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2011 - 11:34 AM

Worth asking yourself why would someone want to pay you for photos they can take themselves and instantly send to friends, or upload to Facebook etc, via their 'smartphones'. You will have to have something special to offer. Do you know what that is?

Also may be worth having a read of this blog article.

To use a phrase I used some years ago: "When everybody's a photographer, nobody's a photographer".

A12PHOTO
    19 Jun 2011 - 1:52 PM

Blimey you lot know how to put a dampner on things LOL but i get what you mean and thank you for your comments and honesty.
    Pete

Eastlands
    Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2011 - 1:57 PM

Don't be put off Pete.

Try checking out local papers and websites for local motorcycle clubs, go along to an event and take your shots, speak to the organisers and let them see the results, it can lead to some of the competitors looking to buy prints from you and it will give you a taste of the experience and a starting point on the road to more success.

Carabosse
    19 Jun 2011 - 2:05 PM

Not meant to dampen your enthusiasm at all, but a realistic approach to these things can help. Wink

The world of photography has changed enormously in the past 10 years. People are taking photos every day of the week, whereas once upon a time it may have been specific events only and involve buying a film, taking a few shots, sending them off for D&P and awaiting the prints or slides. Now it's all instant satisfaction and, often, instant sharing. And that's a permanent change.

Doing things, which (these days) other people are more than happy to do themselves, is not going to be easy. You have to offer something people can get for "free" but something vastly better than their freebies.

A12PHOTO
    19 Jun 2011 - 2:06 PM

Thank you

KevSB
    KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    19 Jun 2011 - 3:46 PM

I do event photography all the time, for pleasure tbh, I wouldn't like to rely on it for an income, CB unfortunately is being to the point about how hard it is and he is right, but there is always opportunity's out there, My local football team asked my club is we would like to get a free seat on the team coach in return for photographing the team during the season, To learn your skill and make contacts you will need to do things like that.

Like has been said you also need to make up a portfolio of your work and approach all the organizersrs of events asking for exclusive commercial access, which makes you the only one who can sell the pictures for money, be careful tho as you may find that the agreement gives the event organizerer copyright written into the terms, What im trying to say is that it wont drop in your lap, you will need to go look for thopportunity's and have to convince thorganizerer there is something in it for him , you will also need to buy commercialal website which you can sell your pictures to buyers, which means registering for tax, also you will need Insurancece to cover you during the event, only exception to this is becoming a member of the group and being covered by there insurance

I went to a local motor x event, While I was there I was asked if i could provide pictures by riders , I posted them on flikr and sent a message to the forums, the reply i got back was very threatening and abusive and told that i had no right to post them and was doing a lad who travelled with them all over out businessness, it was on private property so he had the right to ask that I Not do so. Very time consuming for very little reward.

I do it for enjoyment and making some great friends but even when i provide Pictures at cost it raises a few eyebrows how much it costs

danh
    danh  461 forum posts United Kingdom36 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jun 2011 - 12:30 PM

I'd echo some of the comments above. It appears you're interested in 'Sports' photography above other events so I'd recommend getting out there and learning the 'art'. It seems as if everyone can do it but often that proves not to be the case. One of the key ingredients is the type of lens that you use. Fast lenses are essential, if you're hoping to have any chance of creating images that look better than the 'snapshots' that others might take.

You don't have many shots in your portfolio so my apologies if I'm telling you things you already know.

Find yourself some good sports photography websites (both instruction and gallery-type) and work out why it is that the images therein have made it to publication. In most cases, the large, wide-open aperture will leave a distraction-free background and this is crucial to your ability to 'get work' (and I use that term very loosely). Making friends with the sports editor of your local paper will work wonders but, have a trawl through a few editions first - if their sports photography is already pretty good you might need to look elsewhere.

Mostly it's down to lots of practice, some really good rain covers for your kit, the ability to put up with lots of physical pain and discomfort, and developing a really fast work-flow to turn photos around within a really short space of time.

One other thing - without the ability to stay smiling and maintain a positive outlook when it's pouring with rain, freezing cold (and I mean FREEZING cold), you're getting black bits on the end of your fingers, and you've been asked to shoot the local football 'Cup Final' that's taking place on a ploughed field, with one floodlight (pointing in the wrong direction), you've forgotten your stool and your kneepads, you're desperate to use the toilet, you're fed up with people asking if they can have a look through your lens (while the game is in progress) and you're getting 1/250th at f2.8 and ISO 6400... then stick to something a bit easier. You won't regret it. Wink

mikeweeks
    mikeweeks  9952 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 3:04 PM

Pete,

I have regular contact with a lot of event photograpraphers and I am one myself. There is training availabale for some aspects of event photography and the best way is actually doing the events.

I am surprised by the negativety in the comments. It can be fun, it can be lucrative just as easily as you can stand in a field for 8 hours soaking wet through and not sell a thing. It can be really hard work, but knowledge is the key to be succesful. If you want to experience real event photography get in contact with me and I will see what I can arrange for you.

Mike

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.