Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help required with converting VHS Tapes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dabber
    Dabber  12130 forum posts England
    10 Dec 2012 - 1:18 PM

Iím hoping that I can get some useful leads from our forum(s) as Iím struggling to find any video based help on the web.

My project is to convert all of my family home videos into DVDs, and I have no problem actually doing it.

I have a Sony DVD recorder and can link my video recorder to it. So far so good.

The problem that I have is that the contents of the tapes vary, i.e. I may have 10 mins of the family on a day trip, then I may have taken some video of an event in town, then perhaps we have opening the Christmas presents. I think you get the drift.

Ideally I would to be able to select specific clips from the DVD produced from the tapes. So I copied the contents of the DVD onto my hard drive, hoping to be able to do just that.
    However, itís not that simple, it looks as though there is one big file, I think itís extension is FOB.

I have tried trawling the net and have come across a few bits of software, typically ACDC Converter Pro, DVD FAB and DVD Cloner. However I canít find anything specifically that would fulfil my requirements.

Has anyone done what I am trying to do?, and can offer some form of ĎIdiotís Guideí or can recommend a forum that may deal with such matters.

Thanks for looking and best regards

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Dec 2012 - 1:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
    10 Dec 2012 - 4:37 PM

Would it not be easier to link the video to the computer then edit the footage before burning to DVD?

User_Removed
    10 Dec 2012 - 5:31 PM

Quote: Would it not be easier to link the video to the computer then edit the footage before burning to DVD?

As above. There are several "Film Director" types of software (some of which are supplied free with camcorders) that would allow you to use your VHS clips as "source material" and edit them into coherent "movies" for burning on to a DVD.

Bridgelayer
    10 Dec 2012 - 6:34 PM

Try Computer Active here.
    There's plenty of advice and tips there.
    HTH

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    10 Dec 2012 - 7:40 PM

As MrGoatsmilk suggested with AV capturing device you can capture footage as avi files on hard drive then copy to media player hard drive no need to take your files to nle (unless you want to edit). I converted all my dvd's to avi files using Media convertor 7.5 and then copied to cyclone media players 2tb hard drive. Hope this help.

Bridgelayer
    11 Dec 2012 - 4:59 PM

Dabber, have a look at Proshow Gold. It has a video trimmer built in. You can have a continuous show by cutting transitions between clips. I don't know what the trial prog is like and whether you can do the complete show with it, but worth a try.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.