Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help required with understanding the Basics of Lightroom

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dabber
    Dabber  12130 forum posts England
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM

I have been taking photos for a good 50 years and have taken to Digital really well.

I have used Photoshop from the early days and am quite competent with the normal day to day stuff. My current version is CS2 but I’m reluctant to upgrade to CS6 from a purely financial point of view. I have read a lot of good reports about Lightroom being the best option for purely photographic requirements.

So I have experimented with a Lightroom trial version, and although I can handle the ‘photographic’ aspects of it I’m struggling to get to grips with how Lightroom generally operates, and manages my photos.

Can anyone suggest any good, simple easy to understand, learning material (On line/Video tutorials PDFs etc.) so that I can get to grips with the basics.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72303 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:52 PM

Try out our techniques area on ePHOTozine. There is a category just for Lightroom: http://www.ephotozine.com/learn/techniques/lightroom-123

there are a few 'Primers' if you go to the last page

Last Modified By davidburleson at 30 Apr 2013 - 12:54 PM
    mlewis
    mlewis  91475 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM

There are lots of free video tutorials on the Adobe website. Look for the ones with Julieanne Kost.

puertouk
    puertouk  21057 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 2:04 PM

Go to Youtube and just type in lightroom. There are plenty of videos to choose from, many of them very good. Lynda.com is the best place to learn with their excellent range of training videos. You have a 7 days free trial offer as well.
    Hope this is of help
    Stephen

Dabber
    30 Apr 2013 - 3:05 PM

Thanks for these prompt replies.

I went straight to the Ephotozine site for Lightroom and it's good to see that I'm not the only one struggling to get to grips with the basics.

I will also explore the others. I still think that there is room for a really really basic hand holding for the first few steps.

Ideally from inserting the memory card in the PC! I do think that once the basics are grasped I should be able to use it a bit more intuitively.

Thanks again

Dabber

Railcam
    Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
    30 Apr 2013 - 3:11 PM

To get started, watch these: http://tv.adobe.com/show/getting-started-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom-4/

For in depth instruction on an item, by item basis use: http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

Hope these help. They are how I got to grips with Lightroom.

ST
    ST  226 forum posts United Kingdom
    1 May 2013 - 8:31 AM

In addition to all of the other replies you could also take a look here

http://www.lightroomforums.net/forumdisplay.php?26-Tips-Tricks-amp-The-Starter-K...

Dabber
    2 May 2013 - 9:08 PM

Once again thanks all for your prompt and informative replies.

I have visited those sites that you each suggested and of course they are full of really good advice.

I was particularly intrested in Railcam's comment 'that's how I got to grips with Lightroom' It would be nice to hear what you struggled with and how you managed to get the proverbial penny to drop!
    Perhaps I could email you direct if you have the time to help? It seems we may have a bit in common....I was born in Crewe! my Dad worked all his (short) life on steam locomitives in the town's North sheds, and I still have a passion for those days.

cheers

John

Railcam
    Railcam  7465 forum posts Scotland
    2 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Quote: Perhaps I could email you direct

More than happy to discuss via e-mails. It says you have Private Messaging turned off. When you turn it on I shall send you my e-mail address.

I am also a Cheshireman, from Lymm but moved with the job to Scotland in 1985.

Regards
    Keith

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96233 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    2 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Quote: It would be nice to hear what you struggled with

Initially the whole concept of actually " processing " the image.
    Having spent so many years using transparency film where one could not alter the image ( apart from cropping with baking foil in the slide mount ) the idea of changing what was captured with digital I found hard to get my head round.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.