Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help the ground feeding birds in the snow...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Beckyphotos
6 Jan 2010 - 9:43 AM

Morning everyone,

I've just woken up to over a foot of snow and no television! Spare a thought for the ground feeding birds such as black birds, and put a box, small table or tray outside for them to feed from.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's snowy pictures!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2010 - 9:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
6 Jan 2010 - 9:50 AM

Quote: Spare a thought for the ground feeding birds such as black birds

I've bought a pack of lolly sticks and some rubber bands so they can make stilts... any other suggestions? Smile

In all seriousness, quite agree and also some fresh water too Smile

User_Removed
6 Jan 2010 - 9:50 AM

Already been out and taken care of this for our brood Becky.

Nice thought...

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 10:22 AM

Just done that.

Beckyphotos
6 Jan 2010 - 10:22 AM

Well Done!

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 10:30 AM

Me too Grin I dont want them to suffer

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
6 Jan 2010 - 11:00 AM

Wilkinson's are selling tubs of 50 Fat balls for only 7, well worth it for our feathered friends. They also sell the Fat ball hangers for around 1!
:0)

Last Modified By big fella at 6 Jan 2010 - 11:01 AM
NexusImages
6 Jan 2010 - 11:20 AM

Em and I are making fat balls for our birds Smile.

BEVZED
BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
6 Jan 2010 - 11:28 AM

Quote: Em and I are making fat balls for our birds .

put a bit of oil in the fat to keep them squidgy (fat freezes tooSad), please take the nets off the commercial ones as they can break those little legs so easily

AngieLatham
6 Jan 2010 - 11:38 AM

the birds are eating better than us at the moment! Agree with the comment about taking the nets off the fat balls for the ground feeders. Don't forget they like old fruit and scraps too, cereal , cooked rice,pasta etc

This morning we have 6 blackbirds, starlings, Fieldfaire,great/blue and cole tits, Jay ,woodpecker,chaffinches,2 types of sparrows, 4 robins in a territory battle, long tail tits and a wag tail Smile

Metalhead
Metalhead  71876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 11:47 AM

I'm having to get up 20 minutes earlier each day to de-ice the car then de-ice the bird table! Not sure how long the two bird baths last during the day before they start to refreeze but our back garden seems to be more popular than ever this year.

We have 2 hangers for fat balls, 2 hangers for seeds, 2 trays for scraps and seeds. Not great on identification of birds but we've had the robin territory battles too. Doves are here, crows, blackbirds, blue tits, yellowhammers, and a few others. Oh, and a squirrel.

Wilko's good deal on fat balls. You can get the same from InStore/Poundstretcher and even Pets At Home have had a box of 100 for 14. We've also used some Bill Oddie packets of seed stuff, mixed them all together in a tub, and sprinkle some on the trays. Very popular.

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
6 Jan 2010 - 11:47 AM

Quote: please take the nets off the commercial ones as they can break those little legs so easily

I always do, even when hanging them! ;0)

Last Modified By big fella at 6 Jan 2010 - 11:48 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110306 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 11:50 AM

Just a thought, try to find a cat-proof location for all the feeding.

We have two nearly Feral cats locally and they are killers at the best of times.

These conditions could make it even easier for them (and others like them) to take more birds than usual

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 12:01 PM

Our pond is taking a hammering even more than normal in the last few days. Mind you the blackbirds aren't all that keen on sharing it. Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53645 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2010 - 12:35 PM

Yep, Fatballs, Sunflower seeds and fresh bread, water in pond is clear thanks to a mist machine, & chased the fat cat away.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.