Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help The GURKHAS

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
24 Sep 2008 - 6:52 PM

Not sure I understand what you've typed there Bri..?? Can you clarify please? Are you asking what our opinions are towards the derisory pension values they receive against what a British soldier receives..??

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Sep 2008 - 6:52 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

55jase
55jase e2 Member 8186 forum posts55jase vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2008 - 7:32 PM

Hi Bri. Sorry i not quite understand. I wish more would sign up if it would get them a better life than living in poverty. The prospect of a life here (UK) which they are entitled to is better than living of next to nothing. This is not the point.
Why should any man be treated differently doing the same job,When i swore allegiance to queen and country i never asked for any special treatment.The gurkhas serve a average of 20 years serving our queen.We asked them for help 200 years ago.The British were so impressed by their fighting skills that it was suggested that the Gurkha hill men should be recruited into the Army to form new Battalions made up entirely from their numbers. In March 1816, a treaty was signed signalling a cessation to hostilities. In April of the same year, authorisation to form the first Battalion of Gurkha recruits took place.

The Gurkhas have been part of the British Army for nearly 200 years. During that time, they have fought in every major theatre of war, from the first Afghan war through to Bosnia, the Falklands and more recently Iraq. They have received in all 6,500 decorations for bravery, including 13 Victoria Cross awards. The Gurkha of today retains all the characteristics of his forefathers. He is brave, tough, patient, adaptable, intensely proud and has unswerving loyalty.
Surely they deserve to be treated like men.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
24 Sep 2008 - 7:48 PM

I will try and word it better...

There has in the past been an argument put forward by the powers that be, that paying Gurkhas the same pensions as other British troops would make them very wealthy back home, and that this would put undue pressure on more young men to leave Nepal and join up. This may be a "good thing" for them and for the Army, but would not necessarily be a good thing for those left behind in Nepal, if all their fit young men are tempted to leave.

I'm not saying I agree with this view, just that this was the argument for paying them less. I wondered what the views of the people on here are about this.

I know this is not necessarily the same argument as whether they should be allowed to come and live here, but it is related.
Personally, I have the utmost respect for anyone who serves their country (or indeed our country) with honour and I would be very happy having ex Gurkhas for neighbours.

55jase
55jase e2 Member 8186 forum posts55jase vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2008 - 8:05 PM

Hi bri. This is the first i have heard about pay and think that this also is bad. We issue the uniform and they have the option of training in the uk. No excuses they are putting their lives on the line for you and i so they should be treated the same as our boys no question.
jase

User_Removed
24 Sep 2008 - 8:09 PM

Quote: ...if all their fit young men are tempted to leave.

Now I understand Bri - and your point is well made. However, within some societies/cultures it is natural to 'go where the money is' and if it means more young Nepalese men joining the British Army then so be it - it is clear that we have serious problems meeting recruitment levels from our indigenous population so if the young men from Nepal wish to continue the long-standing tradition then again - so be it.

The fact that, were we to reward a Gorkha soldier with a pension equivalent to that received by an indigenous member of the British Army - and that that money would make them rich beyond avarice at home in Nepal - is totally irrelevant IMO. Our boys sign up to T's & C's including a Pension (where applicable in time served). Those same packages should apply to the Men of Nepal. Period.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Sep 2008 - 8:12 PM
Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2008 - 8:17 PM

As far as I understand it Gurkhas undergo a very stringent selection process prior to joining the British Army, such is the competition to join up.
I had no hesitation in signing this petition; they saved my Uncle's life at Monte Cassino. He had been wounded and whilst carrying him down the hill they shielded him with their own bodies every time a shell landed nearby. Such selfless bravery deserves recognition and this campaign at least tries to redress the debt we owe them for their service to this country.
Ben

keith selmes
24 Sep 2008 - 8:28 PM

So far as I know, soldiers from Fiji and from Jamaica have the same pay and conditions as those from the UK, so it would be peculiar to continue paying Nepalese soldiers differently.
An increase in pay ought to be an improvement for the Nepalese economy.

User_Removed
24 Sep 2008 - 8:29 PM

Quote: An increase in pay ought to be an improvement for the Nepalese economy.

My view exactly Keith.

55jase
24 Sep 2008 - 8:56 PM

I echo those thoughts.
Jase

User_Removed
24 Sep 2008 - 9:13 PM

So.! How about some more votes please everyone..??

Linky-Link

Jase's original link is here

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 Sep 2008 - 9:15 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 Sep 2008 - 9:19 PM

Gets my click! Smile

55jase
24 Sep 2008 - 9:24 PM

your a star mike.

User_Removed
24 Sep 2008 - 9:29 PM

Hardly Jase... just a concerned supporter - like everyone else here.

Wink

big fella
big fella  11485 forum posts England
24 Sep 2008 - 11:02 PM

I have signed too! Link being sent to those I know that are not photographers and wouldn't have seen this thread.

"More power to your elbow" :0)

- and they never gave Spike a British Passport either. Shame on you government!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
24 Sep 2008 - 11:38 PM

Well, I've now tried twice to sign it, and I haven't received any confirmation emails.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.