Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Help wanted processing colour negs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dabber
    Dabber  12128 forum posts England
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:25 PM

I have been trying (on and off for a few years) to get a reasonable, quick and cheapish robust method for getting my thousands of negs and slides onto digital i.e. jpgs. It'll be the only way my grand-kids will be able to see what the old duffer got up to in the 'old days'

I have a negative scanner and a flatbed scanner with the facility to scan negs, but I wanted something quicker.

I have now mounted a Panasonic TZ20 on an adjustable ‘rack and pinion thingy’, I adapted a neg carrier from one of the scanners, then backlight the slides/negs and basically just snapped away.

For my needs (being able to view the subject matter of my negs) this is working remarkable well……………but, I’m having problems converting the negs to positives.

I was under the impression that I could just ‘invert’ in Photoshop, but I can’t seem to find this facility! Was I dreaming? or is it possible?

Can anyone help? Maybe there are actions or something somewhere?

Anyway thanks for looking, and even more thanks if you can help.

Cheers for now

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Feb 2014 - 2:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown
    RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 3:45 PM

In Elements 5 it's under Filter>Adjustment>Invert (or Ctrl I). Must be something similar in PS, or Ctrl I should work.

Dave_Canon
    3 Feb 2014 - 7:04 PM

It is not just inverting but you also need to subtract the orange mask as well. The easiest was is to use a film scanner which will do all of that for you. However, it might be cheaper to use a scanning service who scan and put the images on to DVD's. However, I think that this might cost up to 40p per frame so, if you have thousands, it may pay to buy a scanner. I have used both methods in the past but have already scanned any that are significant.

Dave

joolsb
    joolsb e2 Member 927107 forum postsjoolsb vcard Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 7:14 PM

The problem with simply inverting a colour neg is that the orange base gets inverted too, turning the result very blue. With full PS there is a nifty curves trick you can use to get round this or you can try ColorPerfect, a plug-in which I've used in the past. Another alternative would be to get hold of the SilverFast scanning software which has a built-in inverter but that isn't much use if you've already done loads of scans...

Last Modified By joolsb at 3 Feb 2014 - 7:15 PM
    Dabber
    Dabber  12128 forum posts England
    3 Feb 2014 - 8:01 PM

Rog,

Thanks for pointing out where the' invert' option is. I looked all over (except there!)

It works fine for me as is, all I need is a way to be able to whisk through the negs. I will do the digital version in the same order as the books of neg files that I have.
    If, by any chance anyone wants better images then we can get 'proper' scans and work on them.

By the way I looked at your work on your portfolio, very impressive. Pehaps I need to get one started on there myself!

As far as using a scanning service is concerned, I did have quite a few of my 6cm x6cm B&W negs done and they were fine, but unless I win the lottery I can't afford to get all of the others done..

Thanks for your responses though.

Cheers for now

John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.